Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 11:09 AM

9,882 posts, read 7,212,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
I suspect a "unisex changing room" is a changing room that has individual stalls but does not segregate the outer portions of the changing room by gender.
Correct and stores have had them for decades - GAP, Banana Republic, Old Navy, Macy's, et al. A perv is going to be a perv no matter the setup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 11:40 AM

10,023 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Correct and stores have had them for decades - GAP, Banana Republic, Old Navy, Macy's, et al. A perv is going to be a perv no matter the setup.
All the Macy's I've been in have the dressing room in the department like women's near the women's clothes and men's in the men's department.

Old 06-22-2016, 12:58 PM

12,870 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
All the Macy's I've been in have the dressing room in the department like women's near the women's clothes and men's in the men's department.
Yes, but they're still Unisex. Obviously women will be far more inclined to use the one in the women's section and vice versa. But if you go with your spouse of the opposite sex, you can still walk right in to either.

At smaller stores, the changing or "fitting" rooms are largely unisex and have been for as long as I can remember (at least 20 years). Off the top of my head, every Abercrombie, Hollister, American Eagle (yes, I'm going back to high school), Gap, Express, Old Navy, Banana Republic, DKNY, Eddie Bauer, Guess, J. Crew, etc. etc. etc. I've ever set foot in has been this way.

Old 06-22-2016, 01:35 PM

I'm familiar with the ones at Abercrombie but I've never seen anything like that at Macy's.

Old 06-22-2016, 01:47 PM

12,870 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
I'm familiar with the ones at Abercrombie but I've never seen anything like that at Macy's.
Given the size of Macys (and the proportion of the store dedicated to clothing, unlike Target which has a much smaller clothing section), they mostly utilize more than one fitting room. And for ease of access, they put one in the women's department, and one in the men's department. But like the changing rooms in any other smaller clothing store, they're not gender specific. If I want to try on pants at Macy's and there's a wait for a changing room in the men's section, I can walk over to the women's section and use one there. FWIW, I've never seen a Macy's so busy that anyone had to do that. But I have sat right outside the stall in the changing room in the women's section (along with three other men waiting for their significant others) while my girlfriend tried on a seemingly endless number of dresses. I've also seen plenty of women waiting in front of stalls in the men's department, or even in the stalls helping men tie ties or put suit jackets on. They're unisex, just like most stores. They're just located in the men's and women's section so they're much more heavily utilized by people belonging to the gender of the section.

Old 06-22-2016, 04:17 PM

9,882 posts, read 7,212,572 times
It could be worse - Sym's used to have 2 large rooms (gender specific) without stalls for a dressing room. It was a little creepy even though I've been in plenty of locker rooms in my life.

Old 06-22-2016, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
It could be worse - Sym's used to have 2 large rooms (gender specific) without stalls for a dressing room. It was a little creepy even though I've been in plenty of locker rooms in my life.
I remember Sym's, it was very creepy. There was also a store on Rte. 9 in Natick, Loehman's or something like that which was the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts