Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2016, 02:50 PM

1 posts, read 732 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

We are from the San Francisco Bay Area and my husband works in the tech industry while I am self employed. Everything is so expensive here and we are still currently renting (we got lucky with paying $1600 for a small one bedroom).

My husband may get a new job in Burlington (although he may work from home 3 days a week) within the 6 months or so, thus we are looking for towns that meet these criteria :
1. Housing budget potentially up to $780,000. Single family homes 3/4 beds, 2 baths, preferably not less than 2000 feet, with reasonable lot size and in decent condition.
2. Good and more established neighborhoods
3. Safe with low crime rates
4. Reasonable commute to Burlington (within 45 mins or so)
5. Good schools (we don't have kids yet, but planning to in 1 or 2 years)
6. Easily accessible to parks
7. Nice downtown

We have an investment property in Apex, North Carolina and is located in a good neighborhood that is established, safe and has good schools and parks. Wondering if we can find something similar in Massachusetts?

We are looking at Burlington, Newton, Woburn, Wilmington, Lexington, Lincoln but they all seem to be out of our price range. Any other nearby affordable towns that fit our criteria? If needed be, we would consider further away towns.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 03:07 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,822,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jess_86 View Post

We have an investment property in Apex, North Carolina and is located in a good neighborhood that is established, safe and has good schools and parks. Wondering if we can find something similar in Massachusetts?
YES, MA has everything. You just have to be willing to pay for it.

Quote:
We are looking at Burlington, Newton, Woburn, Wilmington, Lexington, Lincoln but they all seem to be out of our price range. Any other nearby affordable towns that fit our criteria? If needed be, we would consider further away towns.

Thanks!
I'd think you can get something very decent at that 780K price in Burlington, Woburn, Wilmington.
Lexington is possible but why go there when you can get something better for the same price.
Newton - why?

You may have to adjust your expectation of what a 'nice' house is... around here, big spanking new 3 story mega houses with 3 car garage and a huge yard that are very common in other states are not so common. You will end up with a smaller and older place with that 780K than in NC... But this is MA afterall.

Old 06-02-2016, 03:39 PM

434 posts, read 510,222 times
Out of the towns that you listed I'd say Burlington hand's down. You're priced out of anything decent in Lexington and Newton, probably priced out of Lincoln, and I think Burlington is much nicer than either Woburn or Wilmington.

Old 06-02-2016, 03:51 PM

317 posts, read 331,380 times
If you want a pretty nice house and above average to good schools I would go with Burlington. If you want an old, tiny house next to the highway/on a main rd, paying $50-100k over asking with 20 other bidders and amazing, top notch (and incredibly stressful) schools, go with Lexington. Both are very safe suburban towns. Lexington has a charming historic downtown. Burlington has low (for MA) taxes cause there is a large mall/many tech businesses there. Lincoln is just woods and probably too expensive, Woburn and possibly Wilmington schools are not up to par. Newton seems like an unnecessary commute. You may want to rent before you make a decision. There are many other towns that are in close commuting distance to Burlington. Look into Bedford. Less expensive than Lexington, but with better schools than Burlington.

Old 06-02-2016, 06:14 PM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
I too will recommend Burlignton itself. $700K will buy you a nice existing home in Burlington. There is some new construction under $800K but I don't like the locations.

As noted, the real estate taxes are reasonable and services are outstanding. We don't have a nice downtown per se but there is plenty of shopping and dining at end of town. Schools are very good and it's a good solid, family town.

Old 06-02-2016, 06:25 PM

536 posts, read 844,460 times
This is a situation when renting for a year, even at a high cost, would be a good idea. That's a complex area, with something for you certainly. But only you can decide what you like best. In whatever town you think is likely to be the school district--but if things aren't comfortable, you would have the option to move.

Old 06-02-2016, 06:33 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,719,577 times
I'd investigate Melrose.

I'm surprised you are finding Burlington and Woburn to be out of your price range. I'd think you could find something in those towns for your budget. To echo what others have said, investigate Burlington some more.

Bedford is a great town, although I understand it doesn't have a real downtown, and I'm not certain it's what you'd want pre-kids. (Sometimes those planned kids don't come along as planned, and you have to wait a few years or a decade, so you may as well enjoy the town where you live, and pick one where everything isn't completely kid-centered.)

I love Newton, but it seems like it's a longer than necessary commute to Burlington. I know of someone who does it, but unless there are other compelling reasons, I'm not sure it makes sense to move for a job in Burlington and buy in Newton when that is the commute that you're dealing with. There won't be much in Newton in that price range, anyway. (We considered Newton and Arlington - Arlington would be a great choice for you, but the issue there is price. If you're willing to consider a duplex/townhouse, you might be able to get into Arlington.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts