Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2013, 02:33 PM

16 posts, read 85,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiddle View Post
Lums was known for hot dogs steamed in beer. I think there was one in Billerica where a 99 is now.

My favorite Chinese was called the Royal Hawaiian in Burlington. Outback there now. I ate my first Scheczuahn ( I can't spell ) there. And of course the old Wey-lu's in Saugus before they had the palace on the hill. That also brings up the Lanai Island in Stoneham. My exwife would get so mad that people would mispronounce Lanai and call it Lany... ( she was a U of Hawaii student). Just a drinkin' place with Pu Pu platters.

As a kid we used to go to Carols Diner in Medford Square in the early 70's for a late night Steak and Eggs.

I did the Steak & Brew.....can't remember much about the steak.
How about Vallee's Steak House?

My family used to go to a place in Billerica called the Everglades. Its a Chinese place now.

I always complain down here in Fla. that they don;t know what a good Chinese place is. They think it should be take out or buffet. I try to tell them about The Kowloon.....
You are 100% correct about Chinese food in Florida. However, i'm guessing you are talking about the west coast. The east coast has a lot of New Yorkers so the Chinese food is better. What does one have to do with the other, I don't know. The west coast is worse, "take out or buffet." No lobster, no spare ribs, no crab Rangoon, no mussels, etc. But, there is one really great, sit down and order from the menu restaurant in Ft. Myers at the Royal Palm Square, "Fiji." Go there and you won't be disappointed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Mondo's...Haymarket Sq...a unique place.

The Café Budapest and The Wursthaus. Unique owners.

No more Locke-Ober nor Elsies. What is Boston coming to.
Café Budapest. That was the place to go for dinner before attending the "Pops" concert. We really miss it.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Mondo's...Haymarket Sq...a unique place.

The Café Budapest and The Wursthaus. Unique owners.

No more Locke-Ober nor Elsies. What is Boston coming to.
No more Locke-Ober on Winter Place? That's sad news. I remember the Cape scallops sautéed with bacon. My mouth is watering. Locke-Ober had an upstairs table that was always reserved for any executives from Jordan Marsh. Eban Jordan, financed Locke-Ober back during the Civil War and they accommodated him accordingly. I remember when Locke-Ober was forced, yes FORCED, to allow women to be served in the Men's bar where the, ummm, scandalous portrait sat on the wall. C'est le vie.

Old 09-18-2013, 03:07 PM

536 posts, read 844,460 times
Oh, gosh, my dad loved Locke-Ober and that silly painting in the bar.
The seafood salad there was outstanding. Sad to hear it is no more. Is Jake Wirth still around? He loved that place, too.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:30 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,638,276 times
For me, the Greenhouse in Harvard Square, so perfect for people watching and the giant cakes were fun to fantasize about.

In my own territory, the Sunlite Cafe in Acton was a great and now gone diner style breakfast spot for catching up with a newspaper on a Saturday morning.

I also have a soft spot for the old cafeteria inside the Woolworth's in Downtown Crossing.

Last edited by 495neighbor; 09-18-2013 at 09:44 PM..

Old 09-18-2013, 09:42 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondog267 View Post
"Finally Michael's," that's a place to remember. Back in the 60's and 70's Framingham folks enjoyed "Anthony's Steakhouse" at the corner of Worcester Rd and Temple St. After Anthony Abu retired, Michael Gillen redecorated the venue in 1979 with full bookcases at dining stations. Michael finally had his own store. In addition to steaks, cooked to perfection, "Finally Michael's" offered a superb wine list with Escargot presented in the shell, Steak Diane and Veal Oscar. You would also be welcome to take a book home if you saw one you wanted to read. Mr. Gillen had interests in several other restaurant properties in downtown Boston and elsewhere. You may remember "Gill's Grill" on route 9 in Westboro. I believe he over-extended and closed shop in 1999. A good 20-year run. Alas, the location is now the site of a CVS.
I used to eat at Finally Michaels from time to time with my family when I was growing up in Framingham. We didn't live terribly far from there. The beginning of the end was when they got rid of the salad bar. It was a great restaurant though.

Quote:
You are 100% correct about Chinese food in Florida. However, i'm guessing you are talking about the west coast. The east coast has a lot of New Yorkers so the Chinese food is better. What does one have to do with the other, I don't know. The west coast is worse, "take out or buffet." No lobster, no spare ribs, no crab Rangoon, no mussels, etc. But, there is one really great, sit down and order from the menu restaurant in Ft. Myers at the Royal Palm Square, "Fiji." Go there and you won't be disappointed.
Chinese food is AWFUL in Florida. A lot of the Chinese restaurants, I went to in South Florida had the right dishes on the menu but were done terribly. For instance, the lobster sauce in South Florida is typically very light in color which makes it look like vomit (didn't taste too much better either). The only good Chinese restaurant I could find in Florida was Canton in Coral Gables. They used to have multiple locations, but I think most of them have closed.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
One other restaurant I forgot that just closed a couple years ago . . . Ma Glockner's. I can't remember what town it was in . . . Hopkinton or Bellingham maybe? Anyway, they had awesome cinammon rolls that came before your meal and the birched chicken . . . UNBELIEVABLE! The skin was crispy, the meat was moist and fell off the bone. I'd love to know how they did that. Originally, the chicken was the only menu item. When they expanded the menu though everything that was added was delicious as well.
Ma Glockner's in Bellingham was interesting. Friend of mine from Hartford relocated to Bellingham and spent his first evening at Ma's. When his meal came he said he didn't order chicken. They told him that was all that was on the menu. He ate and enjoyed.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:01 AM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Quote:
Ma Glockner's in Bellingham was interesting. Friend of mine from Hartford relocated to Bellingham and spent his first evening at Ma's. When his meal came he said he didn't order chicken. They told him that was all that was on the menu. He ate and enjoyed.
As Mike said, they expanded the menu. It didn't help, the restaurant eventually went out of business due to changing times and tastes. However, the owner sold the chicken recipe to a restaurant in Woonsocket, RI - so if you want the chicken, it's still available.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:16 PM

Don't mean this to be a reply, just a comment. This past Friday at 7:30 PM we had 7 guests for dinner at Durgin-Park. Prime ribs, lobstuh, baked stuffed schrod and indian pudding were all great. What was disappointing was the number of other diners present; place was about 1/3 full. One time I sat at a large table with "Tip" O'Neil; another time with "Dapper" of the same surname, and another with Frank Converse (whatever happened to Frank?) Back in the old days, we used to have a drink at the bar downstairs which would entitle us to "sneak" up the back stairs to have immediate seating while the "tourists" were all standing in the stairway. My favorite waitress was Dotty Walsh (The Witch). I understand Dotty passed away in 2001. If you visit Durgin-Park you will see the large poster on the wall and Dotty is the fine lady standing on the left of the group. God bless you Dotty, we miss you.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:20 PM

317 posts, read 747,362 times
I use to go to the Great Escape in Weymouth back in the 80's nice club but also great food. I loved the duck!

I use to go into this breakfast place across the street from the flower exchange in Boston that was a lot of fun with the characters that came in. I bet It's still there.
Just a hole in the wall but they welcomed everyone.

Last edited by delmioquartiere; 09-24-2013 at 03:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts