Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2016, 06:41 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
And is the Plough and Stars still open in Cambridge? They served food at lunch, and ONLY at lunch. But, wow, what an incredible lunch.

Dinner was for fans of liquid dinners.

What a trip back in the time machine this has been.
Yes, it is still going strong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 11:01 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,831,089 times
You can buy dinner at the Plough & Stars now, too!
What was the name of the large restaurant on Davenport St right behind the Porter Square Shopping Center? Not a trace of it remains today; condos went up in place of it.
Speaking of non-payment of taxes, a week or so ago Verna's also had big orange "SEIZED" signs taped to their doors.

Old 04-28-2016, 06:48 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,322,594 times
Nanina's in Dorchester. Such a great place. I also have fond memories of El Torito in Braintree as a kid...and another restaurant in Braintree called Bella's.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:48 PM

102 posts, read 450,186 times
Default Old School Boston Restaurants

This is one of the best threads I have seen! It's hard to let go of the past when there were so many great Boston restaurants, that sadly, are no longer here. I miss the most the original Aku Aku in Cambridge near where Faces nightclub used to be in Cambridge, Augustine's in Saugus, Yokens in Danvers, the Toll House in Whitman, the Commodore in Beverly, the Acropolis in Cambridge, Capeway Manor in Brockton, and Lums. Yes, I am not afraid to admit that. I liked Lums.

I think some of you know me as the publisher of VisitingNewEngland and author of "Massachusetts Town Greens," but I also put together a blog called Old School Boston that includes many reflections on Boston restaurants that are no longer there. I hope you enjoy this Boston version of Mr. Peabody's way back machine!

Old 05-31-2016, 02:57 PM

344 posts, read 336,064 times
Caswell's seafood in Weymouth. Fried food galore, awesome footlong hot dogs and cheeseburgers. I mourn it daily.

Old 08-06-2016, 10:07 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,643,596 times
The fabulously dark and gaudy Joe Tecce's on Washington Street in Boston's North End.

Old 08-07-2016, 09:32 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,438,888 times
There was this great dim sum place in the Super 88 food court in Allston called Dim Sum Chef. The only place I know of where you could get dim sum takeout to order and it was delicious. Went back last month and it was closed. No one seems to know what happened because it seemed so popular.

Old 08-28-2016, 09:20 AM

11 posts, read 7,457 times
We left MA several years ago, but still miss and talk about many of the places already mentioned:Green Ridge Turkey Farm, Bishops, English Room, Dini's.

Also on our list of late, great spots would be the Butcher Boy (restaurant) in N Andover, Ferdinand's in Cambridge, and Pollard's in Lowell.

Anyone remember the Modern in downtown Nashua ? Like the English Room, it was a soup-to-nuts kind of place. Will never forget that one of the included desserts was coffee jello ! Their system for alerting servers that orders were ready was hilarious: server was paged by name over a loudspeaker. The voice was a cross between The great/powerful Oz and René Rancourt. No one went to the Modern for the ambience, that's for sure.

I fully agree with comments above about the sucky Chinese food in Florida. What they do to crab Rangoon wrappers is criminal !

Old 08-28-2016, 08:36 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,190,341 times
My Diner closed in Southie a couple of months ago, for what I've heard is to be a condo.

There are so few places for breakfast to begin with! What a shame.

I really liked their home fries.

Old 09-13-2016, 11:59 AM

1 posts, read 1,246 times
Default Polcari's

Quote:
Originally Posted by endingo View Post
Can anyone remember the name of the Italian restaurant on Causeway street up from Boston garden towards the North End? It was on the corner of Endicott street I believe. It had a TV commercial of the owner meeting an older "Anthony"! from the Prince Spaghetti commercial in 1969.
I am guessing it is Polcari's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts