Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2018, 01:44 PM

2,912 posts, read 5,127,008 times

Advertisements

Sad to hear that Rosie's Bakery has closed in Chestnut Hill, near Star Market.

She had closed her other shops in the region in recent years, so this was inevitable. I recall in the late 80s and beyond, it was a big deal. She had two cookbooks and lots of local publicity.

I'll always yearn for the chocolate orgasms, Harvard squares, boom boom bars, mint chocolate brownies with the light green frosting, petite raspberry thumbprint cookies, the cake slices, the Apple pie I ordered for Thanksgiving, the German chocolate cake squares and the round tin foil container Babycakes pans for $6.99 or so.

Was there much notice? Had Rosie Levenbaum (sp?) even been much involved in the operations in recent years?

Oh, and I think Boston Magazine named it the best chocolate chip cookie one year!

Memories, memories...

I wonder what will take that space; the immediate area has already lost that "Treat" cupcakes shop from Needham.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 07:06 AM

193 posts, read 276,068 times
Does anyone remember the Chinese restaurant on Route Nine, right on the Wellesley/Natick line going outbound, that burned down in the late 80s? It imitated Chinese architecture and always fascinated me as a kid.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:49 AM
Status: "On my way to sunny South Carolina" (set 23 hours ago)

9,914 posts, read 15,479,857 times
Chin's Village?

Old 01-17-2018, 08:53 AM

8,525 posts, read 13,904,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Sad to hear that Rosie's Bakery has closed in Chestnut Hill, near Star Market.

She had closed her other shops in the region in recent years, so this was inevitable. I recall in the late 80s and beyond, it was a big deal. She had two cookbooks and lots of local publicity.

I'll always yearn for the chocolate orgasms, Harvard squares, boom boom bars, mint chocolate brownies with the light green frosting, petite raspberry thumbprint cookies, the cake slices, the Apple pie I ordered for Thanksgiving, the German chocolate cake squares and the round tin foil container Babycakes pans for $6.99 or so.

Was there much notice? Had Rosie Levenbaum (sp?) even been much involved in the operations in recent years?

Oh, and I think Boston Magazine named it the best chocolate chip cookie one year!

Memories, memories...

I wonder what will take that space; the immediate area has already lost that "Treat" cupcakes shop from Needham.
I loved the baked goods at Rosie's especially the chocolate mint brownies you mentioned. When I was in high school I worked in a bagel store and we sold Rosie's brownies. So, I've had my fair share of chocolate orgasms. Sadly, I think it's harder and harder to be a specialty shop these days. I can't even find a butcher shop these days. I'm sure the rent has sky rocketed in that location over the years as well.

As for Rosie being involved in other locations . . . my understanding is that she sold off the Wellesley location years ago. A few years ago, I went into the CH location and asked why they don't have sandwiches on the menu when the Wellesley store does. Along with a truck load of attitude, I also received an answer that the Welllesley location was a different owner.

I'm glad that I have a copy of Rosie's cookbook and I'm glad to hear that her baked goods will still be sold in a few locations even if they aren't Rosie's bakeries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwbms28 View Post
Does anyone remember the Chinese restaurant on Route Nine, right on the Wellesley/Natick line going outbound, that burned down in the late 80s? It imitated Chinese architecture and always fascinated me as a kid.
Hmmm . . . I don't recall that off the top of my head. What's there now?

Old 01-17-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Chin's Village?
Yes! Thank you.

Always wanted to go as a little kid - thought it looked so cool. Then it burned down. Alas.

Old 01-17-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I loved the baked goods at Rosie's especially the chocolate mint brownies you mentioned. When I was in high school I worked in a bagel store and we sold Rosie's brownies. So, I've had my fair share of chocolate orgasms. Sadly, I think it's harder and harder to be a specialty shop these days. I can't even find a butcher shop these days. I'm sure the rent has sky rocketed in that location over the years as well.

As for Rosie being involved in other locations . . . my understanding is that she sold off the Wellesley location years ago. A few years ago, I went into the CH location and asked why they don't have sandwiches on the menu when the Wellesley store does. Along with a truck load of attitude, I also received an answer that the Welllesley location was a different owner.

I'm glad that I have a copy of Rosie's cookbook and I'm glad to hear that her baked goods will still be sold in a few locations even if they aren't Rosie's bakeries.

Hmmm . . . I don't recall that off the top of my head. What's there now?
Yes, that's what happened to the tiny Rosie's at South Station. In that last year or so there, it must have been sold to new owners, as the products, most or all, were different. The cakes didn't even look professionally styled. It was Rosie's in name only.

So Rosie's will still be available in select shops? Wow, hadn't heard that. I wonder where. I do recall seeing a few small items, including the Chocolate Orgasms, at Code 10 sandwich & ice cream cafe in the South End, across from Flour Bakery -- even a few months ago. They've carried a few items for years, and now the new owners continue to do it.

It seems that some people just go to Whole Foods Market now for baked goods; The products look nice but I don't always find them satisfying.

Old 01-17-2018, 10:32 AM

I miss the Rosie's in Wellesley Center. The Peanut Butter/Chocolate Chip Cookies are still my favorite cookies of all time.

They also made a very good Chicken Caesar Wrap.

RIP.

Old 01-17-2018, 11:33 AM

Did anyone see the Boston.com story the other day about readers' favorite restaurants no longer around?

I clicked on it but didn't have a chance to digest it.

Old 01-17-2018, 09:06 PM

8,525 posts, read 13,904,246 times
Quote:
Yes, that's what happened to the tiny Rosie's at South Station. In that last year or so there, it must have been sold to new owners, as the products, most or all, were different. The cakes didn't even look professionally styled. It was Rosie's in name only.

So Rosie's will still be available in select shops? Wow, hadn't heard that. I wonder where. I do recall seeing a few small items, including the Chocolate Orgasms, at Code 10 sandwich & ice cream cafe in the South End, across from Flour Bakery -- even a few months ago. They've carried a few items for years, and now the new owners continue to do it.
I read it here:

Rosie's Bakery at The Street in Chestnut Hill Is Being Replaced by The Bagel Table | Boston Restaurant Talk

I was getting pretty frustrated with the Rosie's in CH. Every time I would go in they would never have the chocolate mint brownies that I love so much.

Quote:
It seems that some people just go to Whole Foods Market now for baked goods; The products look nice but I don't always find them satisfying.
Whole Foods baked goods are awful. The only major supermarket chain in the area with decent baked goods IMO is Wegmans.

Quote:
Did anyone see the Boston.com story the other day about readers' favorite restaurants no longer around?

I clicked on it but didn't have a chance to digest it.
It didn't seem to be much of an article. It was more of a slideshow mixed with quotes from the Boston.com Facebook page. It was a lot of the same restaurants we've mentioned here.

Old 01-17-2018, 09:53 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,210,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
It didn't seem to be much of an article. It was more of a slideshow mixed with quotes from the Boston.com Facebook page. It was a lot of the same restaurants we've mentioned here.
The same could be said for everything on boston.com.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts