Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 03:15 PM

73 posts, read 123,977 times

Advertisements

Thanks! I'm not looking for completely car free at all - I just want to be able to walk and do things if I wanted to. Right now, I have to drive to everything and I'd prefer to have things closer to me. So it sounds like Newton Center, Newton Highlands, Newtonville and West Newton have things around to walk to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 04:09 PM

4,235 posts, read 3,676,702 times
One thing you can do is to put in the address of any house you're interested in into walkscore.com. That will give you a good sense of how walkable the home is.

Old 06-05-2016, 07:26 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,600,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dearmschris View Post
Thanks! I'm not looking for completely car free at all - I just want to be able to walk and do things if I wanted to. Right now, I have to drive to everything and I'd prefer to have things closer to me. So it sounds like Newton Center, Newton Highlands, Newtonville and West Newton have things around to walk to.
Yes, I would rate it very high for walkability, given that you never stated you needed to go carless.

Besides walking, the MBTA Green line gives you a lot of Newton transportation flexibility. Eliot and Newton Highlands for Newton Highlands, Newton Centre for the same, plus Waban, I think, (had barely any shopping back in the 70s but might have changed), definitely Chestnut Hill, Reservoir, and Cleveland Circle if you want more shopping and don't mind going out of Newton. Switch trains and you can ride to Coolidge Corner and more.

Old 06-07-2016, 07:34 PM

652 posts, read 743,170 times
Newish resident of Nonantum (or, as the natives say, The Lake) here. We wanted Newton for the schools, but having been city dwellers for many years also wanted to live in a walkable neighborhood. I find Nonantum to have most of my needs (take out, dine-in, dry cleaner, pharmacy, groceries, convenience store, liquor store, nightlife) all within a three or four block span on Watertown Street. Also, many Express Bus options - I get to my job by south station in roughly 30-40 minutes daily. It's also a lot more down to earth/blue collar than a lot of Newton, which is something I appreciate. But the locals here really value their unique history as an Italian enclave.

The one thing I wish we had was a more local coffee shop right in the village center. There's a dunks, but I'd prefer something more local/hip with better coffee. Though the Moldova does apparently do coffee as well.

It's not exactly Davis Square but it is a pretty good compromise if you value everything else Newton has to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts