Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 10:25 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,257,302 times

Advertisements

https://wallethub.com/edu/safest-sta...#main-findings

It's a New England sweep for the Top 6! Quality of life is one of the reasons why it's so expensive to live there.

(Yes I know...I'm in Texas, but we're the 39th safest!....crickets.....crickets.....LOL) I'm here for work. Don't judge me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 03:09 AM

5,790 posts, read 5,104,962 times
How the heck did we get #1 for road safety when so many m*******s are cutting people off on the roads to get to their favorite liquor stores on a friday afternoon? That's amazing.

Old 06-08-2016, 03:57 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Road safety #1? I drove from Waltham to N'port on 128/95 today and was cut off several times and people didn't even use their signals. They must be averaging in the rest of the state with the Boston area. But who writes these things?

Old 06-08-2016, 04:47 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,921,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Road safety #1? I drove from Waltham to N'port on 128/95 today and was cut off several times and people didn't even use their signals. They must be averaging in the rest of the state with the Boston area. But who writes these things?
It's the opposite, actually. They use fatalities per mile driven and Massachusetts consistently ranks the lowest. In general urban areas are much safer using that metric than rural areas. Don't let the crazy drivers in Eastern Massachusetts confuse you--statistically they rank the safest.

The Geography of Car Deaths in America - CityLab

Old 06-08-2016, 07:10 AM

15,794 posts, read 20,493,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
It's the opposite, actually. They use fatalities per mile driven and Massachusetts consistently ranks the lowest. In general urban areas are much safer using that metric than rural areas. Don't let the crazy drivers in Eastern Massachusetts confuse you--statistically they rank the safest.

That's because there's so much traffic on the highway's it's hard to get going faster than 20MPH and cause a fatality.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:23 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,921,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
That's because there's so much traffic on the highway's it's hard to get going faster than 20MPH and cause a fatality.
I think that's a large part of it.

My experience with M*sshole drivers is that they're crazy aggressive, but usually pretty skilled. Compare that to my experience with Louisiana drivers who aren't that aggressive but pretty clueless. I almost always feel like I know what a Massachusetts driver is going to do and can safely plan for it.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:26 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:

Makes sense. I thought Boston drivers were bad. Then I lived in Chicago and SF, holy heck.

Quote:
I think that's a large part of it.

My experience with M*sshole drivers is that they're crazy aggressive, but usually pretty skilled. Compare that to my experience with Louisiana drivers who aren't that aggressive but pretty clueless. I almost always feel like I know what a Massachusetts driver is going to do and can safely plan for it.
Truth, I'm almost never surprised here.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:36 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:

Well, for fatalities maybe. But crashes and safety? Maybe I'm talking more about just plain rudeness and breaking the law. Weaving in and out, causing accidents, no signals. But I've seen worse driving in CT--I get outa the way when I see one of them coming.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:57 AM

15,794 posts, read 20,493,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Well, for fatalities maybe. But crashes and safety? Maybe I'm talking more about just plain rudeness and breaking the law. Weaving in and out, causing accidents, no signals. But I've seen worse driving in CT--I get outa the way when I see one of them coming.

I think we are just used to it though.

Just this AM, sitting on traffic on 95. My exit is coming up and before I move over to take the offramp, I instinctually check the side mirror to see if anyone is blasting up the breakdown lane because they didn't want to sit in traffic. Sure as hell, someone doing 45MPH up the breakdown lane towards the exit.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:58 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Just this AM, sitting on traffic on 95. My exit is coming up and before I move over to take the offramp, I instinctually check the side mirror to see if anyone is blasting up the breakdown lane because they didn't want to sit in traffic. Sure as hell, someone doing 45MPH up the breakdown lane towards the exit.
They're only doing that because there's no sidewalk to drive on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts