Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer: Belmont or Lexington?
Belmont 37 48.05%
Lexington 40 51.95%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-16-2018, 06:59 PM

5,014 posts, read 3,909,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
If you can afford that house, you can afford to live anywhere.

Personally, I find Lexington overpriced. We originally looked there, but unless you could walk to the Lexington Town Center, you may as well be in Chelmsford. It's not that close to downtown, there is no train, walkability is just so-so. Belmont is significantly more convenient. And if I were paying in the $5 Million range, I'd be in Newton or Brookline.
Totally get it. Just pointing out that there are areas, most specifically the one I outlined, that are extremely prestigious. They simply don’t carry the brand like Belmont Hill. Like I said though, I still voted Belmont.

As for the Chelmsford comment, you are pretty on target. The difference between many parts of Lexington/Bedford are indistinguishable. Same can be said for many parts of Bedford/Chelmsford. Which then makes me wonder why Bedford has become so desirable. Nice town, but based on looks alone, it’s like many other town that sits outside of 95. At the price point it takes to get into a decent home in Bedford, I’d rather scoot my oversized behind into Arlington. Either that, or give me the updated home in Chelmsford for $200k less.

Last edited by mwj119; 09-16-2018 at 07:14 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2018, 07:42 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,230,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Totally get it. Just pointing out that there are areas, most specifically the one I outlined, that are extremely prestigious. They simply don’t carry the brand like Belmont Hill. Like I said though, I still voted Belmont.

As for the Chelmsford comment, you are pretty on target. The difference between many parts of Lexington/Bedford are indistinguishable. Same can be said for many parts of Bedford/Chelmsford. Which then makes me wonder why Bedford has become so desirable. Nice town, but based on looks alone, it’s like many other town that sits outside of 95. At the price point it takes to get into a decent home in Bedford, I’d rather scoot my oversized behind into Arlington. Either that, or give me the updated home in Chelmsford for $200k less.
Location, Location, Location. 128 has more jobs then 495, so people are willing to pay for the shorter commute.

Bedford has become desirable because it's on 128, has good schools, and is right next to Burlington, Waltham, and Lexington. It's still a bit cheaper then Lexington, so it does get some spillover from people unable to afford Lexington.

The Merrimack Valley economy hasn't been doing as good as the 128 suburbs, and home prices have adjusted as a result.

Old 09-16-2018, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Location, Location, Location. 128 has more jobs then 495, so people are willing to pay for the shorter commute.

Bedford has become desirable because it's on 128, has good schools, and is right next to Burlington, Waltham, and Lexington. It's still a bit cheaper then Lexington, so it does get some spillover from people unable to afford Lexington.

The Merrimack Valley economy hasn't been doing as good as the 128 suburbs, and home prices have adjusted as a result.
I mean much of my commentary is rhetorical- I know why Bedford is deemed so desirable, and it’s largely location as you point out. But, I actually prefer Reading and think it offers more including walkable neighborhoods, a downtown with commuter rail, and proximity to Burlington. All that, and yet Bedford is still a good bit more expensive.

That is more the premise of my beef. Looking at it now- I maintain that I’d rather buy in Arlington at the price it takes to get into Bedford. But to each his own I suppose!

Old 09-16-2018, 10:59 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,230,657 times
Quote:
I mean much of my commentary is rhetorical- I know why Bedford is deemed so desirable, and it’s largely location as you point out. But, I actually prefer Reading and think it offers more including walkable neighborhoods, a downtown with commuter rail, and proximity to Burlington. All that, and yet Bedford is still a good bit more expensive.

That is more the premise of my beef. Looking at it now- I maintain that I’d rather buy in Arlington at the price it takes to get into Bedford. But to each his own I suppose!
Arlington is more expensive then Bedford at this point though.

But on that idea, I think Melrose is a better buy then Arlington.

Old 09-17-2018, 05:48 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,719,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Arlington is more expensive then Bedford at this point though.

But on that idea, I think Melrose is a better buy then Arlington.
Totally agree with both of these.

We looked in (among other places) Arlington, Lexington, Melrose and Bedford. Well, we didn't really consider Bedford because already Lexington was further out than I wanted, and Bedford was even further. But we looked at one house in Lexington that was a mile or so from the Bedford border. I ruled it out, even though the house was nice because it wasn't walkable to Lex Town Center, and it was so close to Bedford, that you may as well be in Bedford. It made no sense to me to pay a premium just to have a Lexington address, when I could have a nicer house in Bedford, where the schools are also very highly ranked, and wasn't any less convenient than a house on the border of Lexington and Bedford.

Arlington has areas with higher density housing, which is probably what explains overall lower prices. And there were some homes that were very expensive, way beyond our price range. But at least when we were looking a couple years ago, a comparable house was similarly priced in Lexington and in Arlington at our price point. Melrose, though, was definitely less.

Old 09-17-2018, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Totally agree with both of these.

We looked in (among other places) Arlington, Lexington, Melrose and Bedford. Well, we didn't really consider Bedford because already Lexington was further out than I wanted, and Bedford was even further. But we looked at one house in Lexington that was a mile or so from the Bedford border. I ruled it out, even though the house was nice because it wasn't walkable to Lex Town Center, and it was so close to Bedford, that you may as well be in Bedford. It made no sense to me to pay a premium just to have a Lexington address, when I could have a nicer house in Bedford, where the schools are also very highly ranked, and wasn't any less convenient than a house on the border of Lexington and Bedford.

Arlington has areas with higher density housing, which is probably what explains overall lower prices. And there were some homes that were very expensive, way beyond our price range. But at least when we were looking a couple years ago, a comparable house was similarly priced in Lexington and in Arlington at our price point. Melrose, though, was definitely less.
We are moving away from the original intent of this thread (mostly because of me), but I figured I'd share this:

Bedford: https://www.realtor.com/local/Bedford_MA
Arlington: https://www.realtor.com/local/Arlington_MA
Melrose: https://www.realtor.com/local/Melrose_MA
Lexington: https://www.realtor.com/local/Lexington_MA
Reading: https://www.realtor.com/local/Reading_MA

What you are both saying is true. But for me, and as I said in a prior post, I'd rather sacrifice some sq.ft. and updates and live in Arlington if at all possible. Competition to get into Arlington certainly isn't helping. Melrose is of course a viable option, though it broadens the debate as it's moving away from a route 2/west of the city. Reading splits the difference, and still offers the best mix of convenience - location and otherwise - and is why I always include it in these conversations.

Old 09-18-2018, 09:38 PM

16,680 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
I think the brand of Belmont Hill is held in higher regard largely because of the school. But the reality is, to me, the matrix of neighborhoods immediately north of downtown Lexington are just as prestigious. East of Hancock all along Meridian.. I’d say it’s flirting with Chestnut Hill, Wellesley Hills, the Concord Academy area, Western/Wedmegere Winchester, and Belmont Hill as far as affluence and prestige. And, downtown Lexington is only bested by Winchester and Wellesley among that list IMO. Lack of train, though, is likely the biggest pitfalls of that neighborhood and Lexington as a whole.

I still voted Belmont.

Edit: For those that aren’t as familiar with Lexington, here is a great example of the homes in that specific area I referenced- https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-14408?view=qv
Yes, the Fisk Elementary Area. The "gold coast" of Lexington.

Old 09-18-2018, 09:39 PM

Quote:
If you can afford that house, you can afford to live anywhere.

Personally, I find Lexington overpriced. We originally looked there, but unless you could walk to the Lexington Town Center, you may as well be in Chelmsford. It's not that close to downtown, there is no train, walkability is just so-so. Belmont is significantly more convenient. And if I were paying in the $5 Million range, I'd be in Newton or Brookline.
Some very good points here.

Old 09-18-2018, 09:41 PM

Quote:

I think that is totally due to the next-to-Lexington/Lexington spillover factor as mentioned in posts above.

Bedford is often called "Lexington Lite".

Old 09-18-2018, 09:44 PM

Quote:
But, I actually prefer Reading and think it offers more including walkable neighborhoods, a downtown with commuter rail, and proximity to Burlington.

I need to explore Reading more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts