Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer: Belmont or Lexington?
Belmont 37 48.05%
Lexington 40 51.95%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 09:35 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCMA View Post
As one of the wealthiest states in the country, MA should be ashamed of its lack of support for public higher ed, and UMass has been treated as the proverbial red headed stepchild for decades. Pretty sure the grads of prestigious private institutions living in bubbles like Lexington and Weston and running our legislature are not capable of feeling shame on that front though.

Here's some reading on the topic. Higher Learning, Lower Funding: The Decline in Support for Higher Education in Massachusetts - MassBudget
25%+ of the Massachusetts budget goes to education. The inflation-adjusted amount going into the state college system hasn't changed in decades. The problem is cost control, not how much the state spends. Even worse, the inflation-adjusted total comp of college profs hasn't changed in decades, either. If you get rid of the non-academic bloat, state schools become cheap again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYItalian View Post
I honestly would choose neither. Lexington is a rich snobby town. i don't know much about Belmont, but am thinking it has to be better.
This is just sour grapes because you can't afford to live there. Lexington, particularly if you live walkable to the town center, is a very nice place to live. Belmont is better for someone looking to commute into Boston because of the public transportation access. Lexington is better for someone who works on the 128 belt.

Old 07-24-2016, 04:27 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
This is just sour grapes because you can't afford to live there. Lexington, particularly if you live walkable to the town center, is a very nice place to live. Belmont is better for someone looking to commute into Boston because of the public transportation access. Lexington is better for someone who works on the 128 belt.

Do you know he/she can't afford to live there? I sure don't.

Old 07-24-2016, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Do you know he/she can't afford to live there? I sure don't.
Because "I don't like that place. It's all snobs." is classic socioeconomic class envy.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:32 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,331,831 times
Quote:
I can afford to live there - no thanks though I agree it's too snooty, boring and kinda isolated. Sticking with Somerville - and yes with kids.

Old 07-24-2016, 11:21 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,502,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
The son lives on Belmont Hill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I think the Romney children went to the Belmont Public Schools as well when the family lived there...
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Only early on. I was in grade school with Matt, then he went off to Belmont Hill I believe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
You're right. My son-in-law is from Belmont and he went to private school and he said the Romney boys did, too.

Interesting. Thanks.

Old 07-25-2016, 05:26 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Because "I don't like that place. It's all snobs." is classic socioeconomic class envy.
Seems to me going to the "envy" card is classic snobbishness.

Old 07-25-2016, 01:03 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,805,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
I can afford to live there - no thanks though I agree it's too snooty, boring and kinda isolated. Sticking with Somerville - and yes with kids.
Funny, I'm finding the same is starting to happen in dear old somerville. Luckily the immigrant population and townies keep it down to earth.

Old 07-25-2016, 01:27 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,331,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
Luckily the immigrant population and townies keep it down to earth.
Exactly, plus the people starting families are unpretentious here. The snooty renters or short term condo owners usually end up in Lexington or similar.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:00 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,528,212 times
Thank G-d for immigrants and townies! Some of the most interesting and vibrant places in this state are the ones where socioeconomic and/or racial and cultural diversity combine. Places where it's not all affluent and it's not all broke, and your kids may be more likely to become compassionate, considerate, non-classist human beings even if the schools are not the best of the Best of the BEST. The suburbs work for a certain type of person, but for some other types, non-elite parts of urban greater Boston, Lowell, New Bedford, Worcester, and the Pioneer Valley are some affordable places where the hum of creative innovation and vibrancy are truly alive in this Commonwealth, and for the types who thrive in these places there is not a whole lot to "envy" in Lexington or Belmont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts