U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2008, 10:29 AM

93 posts, read 385,229 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My wife and I (we are Asian and expecting kids soon) are thinking about moving out of the Boston area and buying a house in a suburb with good schools.
We have started to look at Sharon and have asked our friends for any insights. My Jewish friends tell me, "it's nice there, be aware that most people there are Jewish." My non-Jewish friends say the same too, and a couple told me they thought about settling down there but wondered if their kids would feel out-of-place there.

I wanted to ask if anyone here lives in Sharon and has any insights into this question? Having gone through public school systems in several parts of the country myself, there were times and places where certain groups of kids felt out-of-place and it seemed a little more awkward for them.

On an unrelated note--- any thoughts on if public schools in Sharon are that much better than those in neighboring Canton? Property taxes in Sharon are big $$$$$ and Canton's look a lot more desirable in comparison.

Thanks for your help!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 08:44 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,573,283 times
Default Hmmm...

'fraid someone's gonna burn a star of David on your lawn...

That's a joke (and I'm Jewish).

I'm sure you'd be very comfortable in Sharon. Really. I've know a few folks from that town and they certainly seemed nice and friendly.

Rich

Old 02-18-2008, 11:15 AM

3 posts, read 41,093 times
First of all, and this is no offense to Canton, but the difference in the school systems is night and day. We moved here about 3 years ago and my children (who went to private schools before) have had nothing but an exceptional experience, no matter what their needs have been. Sharon schools are just superb; Canton does not have a very good reputation.

Second of all, I am Jewish, and there are a lot of Jews, but there are a lot of other religions as well. My next door neighbors are Catholic on one side of me and Muslim on the other. Sharon also has the largest Mosque in the Boston area. Sharon is not the most multi-cultural community but I have never heard of any feeling out of place in the least.

It is a great place to raise a family. So don;t let religion get in the way.

Hope this helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlyang View Post
Hi,
My wife and I (we are Asian and expecting kids soon) are thinking about moving out of the Boston area and buying a house in a suburb with good schools.
We have started to look at Sharon and have asked our friends for any insights. My Jewish friends tell me, "it's nice there, be aware that most people there are Jewish." My non-Jewish friends say the same too, and a couple told me they thought about settling down there but wondered if their kids would feel out-of-place there.

I wanted to ask if anyone here lives in Sharon and has any insights into this question? Having gone through public school systems in several parts of the country myself, there were times and places where certain groups of kids felt out-of-place and it seemed a little more awkward for them.

On an unrelated note--- any thoughts on if public schools in Sharon are that much better than those in neighboring Canton? Property taxes in Sharon are big $$$$$ and Canton's look a lot more desirable in comparison.

Thanks for your help!

Old 02-18-2008, 02:39 PM

1,038 posts, read 3,817,765 times
I can't say anything about Sharon schools. I've visited, and almost moved there once, but the relo just didn't work out. It was definitely at the top of my list. As was Canton.
I have three nephews and a niece who have either graduated or are still attending Canton Public Schools. All four have received (or are receiving) a wonderful education, the two who have already graduated had no problem gaining scholarships (both arts and academics) to their colleges of choice.
Good Luck and Welcome!

Old 02-18-2008, 10:16 PM

Default Childcare in Sharon?

Hi,
Many thanks for your help. I wanted to ask you if you know how readily available good local childcare is in Sharon (specifically, for an infant). I know that Kindercare is in town; I visited their facility and they seemed fine; but would be interested to know what options exist in Sharon and what most folks end up doing for childcare. Is there any place where local childcare providers advertise their services?

---------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by qisabella View Post
First of all, and this is no offense to Canton, but the difference in the school systems is night and day. We moved here about 3 years ago and my children (who went to private schools before) have had nothing but an exceptional experience, no matter what their needs have been. Sharon schools are just superb; Canton does not have a very good reputation.

Second of all, I am Jewish, and there are a lot of Jews, but there are a lot of other religions as well. My next door neighbors are Catholic on one side of me and Muslim on the other. Sharon also has the largest Mosque in the Boston area. Sharon is not the most multi-cultural community but I have never heard of any feeling out of place in the least.

It is a great place to raise a family. So don;t let religion get in the way.

Hope this helps!

Old 02-19-2008, 07:23 AM

3 posts, read 41,093 times
There are quite a lot of childcare options in Sharon. My daughter goes to a great home daycare; one of would be more than happy to recommend. It depends on whether you want to send your child to a home daycare or not.

You can also look in the Sharon Advocate, which is the local paper. Of course, word or mouth and personal recommendations are the best methods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlyang View Post
Hi,
Many thanks for your help. I wanted to ask you if you know how readily available good local childcare is in Sharon (specifically, for an infant). I know that Kindercare is in town; I visited their facility and they seemed fine; but would be interested to know what options exist in Sharon and what most folks end up doing for childcare. Is there any place where local childcare providers advertise their services?

---------------

Old 02-19-2008, 03:13 PM

Default Daycare information?

Hi,
Thank you for your help; this is wonderful. Could you email me contact information for good provider(s) you know? Specifically, we are looking for someone for an infant starting in about October. A home daycare situation would be wonderful. I just edited my profile so that you can send direct email to me. If there's a better means of communication, please let me know.

I have spent many [almost] sleepless nights worrying about childcare! I have been half-tempted to get a night job so that I'd be home during the day, but my wife wisely points out that if I'm up all night, then I won't do a great job caring for an infant during the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qisabella View Post
There are quite a lot of childcare options in Sharon. My daughter goes to a great home daycare; one of would be more
than happy to recommend. It depends on whether you want to send your child to a home daycare or not.

You can also look in the Sharon Advocate, which is the local paper. Of course, word or mouth and personal recommendations are the best methods.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:40 PM

1 posts, read 16,631 times
Hi - We are Asian Indian and considering Sharon because of the school district. I have 2 kids, 10 months and 4 years, preschool/daycare options are something to be considered as well. I found this thread as I was looking through, could you please tell me if you did move to Sharon and if you did how has your experience in this place been so far?

Old 11-19-2009, 10:16 PM

17,509 posts, read 30,753,564 times
I think any community that's got a lot of Jewish people is going to be a very positive one for education, same with Asians and South Asians. I know it's a generalization, but it's true.
And certainly Sharon and places like it are not *all* Jewish- just more than most other places. My rough observation is that towns and areas that are a lot of Jewish people are also a fair number of Asians and South Asians.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:06 AM

1 posts, read 10,760 times
I taught in Sharon for 14 years and my sons went to the schools. I am Jewish. Sharon is one of the most diverse towns in Massachusetts. It does have 7 Temples but it has the NE Mosque and every other religious organization has a Church here. There are many Asians (Chinese, Korean) and South Asians but not many Vietnamese. The Heights and Cottage Street School districts look like the United Nations in make up. All the religious groups meet and work together to solve any problems that might occur. The town is naturally beautiful with Lake Massapoag being the jewel in the middle. Yes, taxes are high but you get a wonderful school system, great Library, helpful Police and Fire as well as a great community feel. Oh, I grew up here and brought my family here to raise my kids. Sharon was just rated the #1 Small Town in the country! If you are coming for sports, the football team tries hard but the tennis and sailing team rock. The town has amazing open space and works hard to maintain it. Come join us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts