Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 07:15 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times

Advertisements

Beverly, with an art school and another college with a strong design program in town, the ocean and an emerging walkable downtown seems like a good choice for you and your family. You'll love the Peabody Essex Museum across the bridge with its relevant and constantly revolving exhibits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 07:28 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,724,745 times
One more thought for you, and I hesitate only because I have not been there myself, but did find it intriguing when my husband had a possibility of a job in New Haven, is Guilford, CT. It's on the coast, near New Haven, and you would have Boston and NYC available for road trips. It seems pretty reasonably priced, especially compared to the Boston and NYC areas. Apparently it has an arts center, but I can't say how artsy the town is overall.

I don't know if it's right for you, but it might be worth investigating.

Old 07-17-2016, 08:53 AM

23,560 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briantroutman View Post
missionhill -

Thanks for the suggestions—I’ll look into them all.

I’m intrigued by the possibility of Providence. It has come up a few times and frequently appears on “best affordable cities for artists” lists. Certainly the RI School of Design has a sterling reputation. I’ve only spent the briefest time in Providence and really should give it a through investigation. In my cursory first looks, a few concerns have arisen, and in many ways the picture painted seems an uncanny parallel of Baltimore in some ways: An overshadowed and underappreciated East Coast harbor city is an affordable destination for creative types and young professionals yet blighted by run-down neighborhoods, troubled schools, and violent crime. Are the dangers and shortcomings of Providence overblown?

This highlights the fact that what I’m seeking is at worst a paradox and at best a careful compromise—a city safe enough to that I can raise a family there in good conscience, yet “rough” enough that it some character, creativity, and energy.
Providence is nowhere near as dangerous as Baltimore (although it certainly has its crime issues and a huge drug problem), but still has some serious economic problems and the city has long suffered from mismanagement (it has been close to bankruptcy very recently). Cost of auto ownership will be insanely high, schools are very poor.

Look into Bristol, RI. No train, but it meets lots of your other requirements.

Old 07-17-2016, 04:02 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,233,403 times
Portsmouth NH meets alot of your requirements and does have a train that goes into Boston though I'm sure the train is relatively expensive.

Old 07-17-2016, 11:11 PM

273 posts, read 318,066 times
495neighbor -

Thanks for the additional depth on Beverly. I think that town has now received the most “votes” in terms the number of times it’s been suggested.

chicagoliz -

Thanks for the added suggestion; I’ll check it out. It looks like an interesting, tidy little town. We would also have rail access there, although it's a ConnDOT-operated commuter rail that would connect us to either Amtrak for service to Boston or MTA’s Metro North for New York. A bit roundabout, perhaps, but still possible.

massnative71 -

Thanks for the info on Providence. Maybe I should post a question to the Providence board to see if the regulars there have some specific guidance on neighborhoods to investigate (or avoid).

I’ll look into Bristol as well.

tysmith95 -

Thanks for suggesting Portsmouth—it’s gotten a couple of votes. I think you might be confused about the train, though. The only rail line in NH appears to be Amtrak’s Downeaster, and it stops at Dover, Durham, and Exeter. Apparently, even the most adamant rail boosters don’t think Portsmouth is going to get its rail service back. Not having rail isn’t necessarily a deal killer, but it would dampen my enthusiasm a bit.

If my count is correct, here’s a running list of the suggestions (within Eastern MA and nearby NH and RI) in order of the number of times they’ve been suggested.

3 Beverly
2 Newburyport
2 Portsmouth
2 Providence
2 Salem
1 Bristol
1 Gloucester
1 Hudson
1 Lowell
1 Marblehead
1 Maynard
1 Natick
1 New Bedford
1 Plymouth

Old 07-18-2016, 06:28 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Providence is nowhere near as dangerous as Baltimore (although it certainly has its crime issues and a huge drug problem), but still has some serious economic problems and the city has long suffered from mismanagement (it has been close to bankruptcy very recently). Cost of auto ownership will be insanely high, schools are very poor.

Look into Bristol, RI. No train, but it meets lots of your other requirements.
This. Despite it's short comings, comparing Providence to Baltimore is a hugely false intellectual leap. Providence does not have the severe income and race tensions which exist in Baltimore.

I've spent a great deal of time in both cities and have a number of friends living in each. Literally every friend living in Baltimore (Canton, Fells Point, Federal Hill) has, at one point or another, had their car stolen, had their apartment robbed, or been assaulted/mugged. One "lucky" friend had the pleasure of experiencing all three scenarios before cutting loose and moving back to MA, motivated by the fact that his SO had been assaulted while riding her bike for the second time. By comparison, my friends living in some rather fringey parts of Providence have escaped bodily injury and theft with the only negative being the white noise of under educated and morally loose neighbors.

I love visiting Baltimore, but there's no way in hell I'd live there. Despite the reasonably good jobs market, the COL in Baltimore remains low - for good reason.

Old 07-18-2016, 06:47 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
This. Despite it's short comings, comparing Providence to Baltimore is a hugely false intellectual leap. Providence does not have the severe income and race tensions which exist in Baltimore.

I've spent a great deal of time in both cities and have a number of friends living in each. Literally every friend living in Baltimore (Canton, Fells Point, Federal Hill) has, at one point or another, had their car stolen, had their apartment robbed, or been assaulted/mugged. One "lucky" friend had the pleasure of experiencing all three scenarios before cutting loose and moving back to MA, motivated by the fact that his SO had been assaulted while riding her bike for the second time. By comparison, my friends living in some rather fringey parts of Providence have escaped bodily injury and theft with the only negative being the white noise of under educated and morally loose neighbors.

I love visiting Baltimore, but there's no way in hell I'd live there. Despite the reasonably good jobs market, the COL in Baltimore remains low - for good reason.
Bolded for potential band name.

Old 07-18-2016, 07:06 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Not to kick a man when he's down, but I usually find myself in Providence once or twice every few weeks....and each time I can't wait to get back to I-95 and head north. I just really not a fan of that city

Old 07-18-2016, 07:08 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Not to kick a man when he's down, but I usually find myself in Providence once or twice every few weeks....and each time I can't wait to get back to I-95 and head north. I just really not a fan of that city
Interesting. I love it. Great arts scene, good shows, I really dig the vibe.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:53 AM

3,689 posts, read 7,429,804 times
With home based businesses and only a $500K budget, Greater Boston would not be my choice unless I had family ties here.

If you still desire to be in New England, places like Wolfeboro, NH, or Yarmouth, ME, offer outstanding schools, a high quality of life, and a lower cost of entry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts