Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 08:35 PM

449 posts, read 494,831 times

Advertisements

Please nobody say Haverhill...

Old 07-17-2016, 08:39 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,527,983 times
Lol I could have told you that Orange is on top of that list!

But the burning question in my mind -- how in the hell are Winchendon and Ware not on there?

Old 07-17-2016, 09:04 PM

14,008 posts, read 14,992,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
They'd have to compete with the town next to it, TEWKSBURY.
Tewksbury has several large office parks, a Raytheon Office, and a multi-Billion dollar companies HQ, but kids there ride their bikes through the woods sometimes so they're rednecks.

Old 07-17-2016, 09:20 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,650,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I agree. White trash is really lowdown, like meth lab trailers, fathers molesting terrified young female relatives, dogs deliberately made vicious, other criminal stuff. To me, redneck is just big old trucks, lots of shotguns, hounds loitering around making a racket maybe (but not vicious), beer cans strewn as yard ornaments, property cluttered with miscellaneous stuff.

In other words, white trash is downright mean, while redneck amounts to taste (or lack thereof) rather than criminal behavior. Which is a huge difference.
In that case, my horrible neighbors who were always being arrested for child abuse and drunkeness were white trash. LOUD white trash.

Redneck is more of a lifestyle, not a criminal type of person. Now I see the difference.

Okay, the town of Ware then. I said it before and I'll say it again. Trailers decorated with Christmas lights, huge fake fountains on the front "lawn", whirley twirly lawn ornaments, dogs chained to the trailer, litter all over the place. Rural and rundown. And the town also has a lot of white trash drug dealers. Totally gross place.

Old 07-17-2016, 09:47 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,230,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Tewksbury has several large office parks, a Raytheon Office, and a multi-Billion dollar companies HQ, but kids there ride their bikes through the woods sometimes so they're rednecks.
The only large office park I can think of is the one next to the McDonald's on 133. But yes the headquarters of Market Basket does sit in Tewksbury. It's hard to find any sort of "redneck" town inside of 495. I've just always felt that the center of Tewksbury feels more like the rural south than any other Massachusetts city imo. But maybe it's since I've grown up in Andover and perceive every neighboring town to be poor.

I also see rednecks as being conservative and poor. Tewksbury is one of the most conservative towns in the Commonwealth despite not being particularly wealthy. I wouldn't be surprised if Artie T (CEO of Market Basket) has a higher net worth than the rest of the town combined.

Last edited by tysmith95; 07-17-2016 at 10:06 PM..

Old 07-17-2016, 09:55 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,689,638 times
I decided to Google the subject, and here is a decent explanation of the differences between redneck and white trash.

Rednecks vs. white trash - Everything2.com

Old 07-18-2016, 05:08 AM

2,941 posts, read 5,180,868 times
Can white trash still have most or all of their teeth
...whereas most rednecks are missing most teeth?

Old 07-18-2016, 05:20 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,527,983 times
For SE Mass, Lakeville is spot on. Berkley, Dighton, Freetown in the running too.

In the Boston to 495 belt, it's hard to pinpoint. That is the kingdom of the Massaholes, and there's definitely a difference between that and redneck. To me, Massaholes would probably best be characterized as exaggerated provincial suburban white trash with an ego disorder, than redneck. Their capitals are largely towns starting with B, including but not limited to Braintree, Burlington, Billerica.

In Central Mass, the list got Orange right (by extension Athol should be on there too) but missed Winchendon, Douglas, and Spencer. Oh and Warren, that place is scary!

In Western Mass, Palmer and Ware are missing. As for the Berkshires, Peru, Savoy, and Hinsdale are the scary backwoods in contrast to the vacation home quaint areas. Sandisfield would fit there too. Colrain was a good choice.

Last edited by FCMA; 07-18-2016 at 05:31 AM..

Old 07-18-2016, 05:54 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,908,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCMA View Post
For SE Mass, Lakeville is spot on. Berkley, Dighton, Freetown in the running too.

In the Boston to 495 belt, it's hard to pinpoint. That is the kingdom of the Massaholes, and there's definitely a difference between that and redneck. To me, Massaholes would probably best be characterized as exaggerated provincial suburban white trash with an ego disorder, than redneck. Their capitals are largely towns starting with B, including but not limited to Braintree, Burlington, Billerica.

In Central Mass, the list got Orange right (by extension Athol should be on there too) but missed Winchendon, Douglas, and Spencer. Oh and Warren, that place is scary!

In Western Mass, Palmer and Ware are missing. As for the Berkshires, Peru, Savoy, and Hinsdale are the scary backwoods in contrast to the vacation home quaint areas. Sandisfield would fit there too. Colrain was a good choice.
Towns in South-western Hampden county, especially those in the Gateway School District (Blandford, Chester, Huntington, Middlefield, Montgomery, Russell, and Worthington) + Tolland/Granville can get redneck-ish. Monson/Wales too.

Old 07-18-2016, 06:18 AM

14,008 posts, read 14,992,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
The only large office park I can think of is the one next to the McDonald's on 133. But yes the headquarters of Market Basket does sit in Tewksbury. It's hard to find any sort of "redneck" town inside of 495. I've just always felt that the center of Tewksbury feels more like the rural south than any other Massachusetts city imo. But maybe it's since I've grown up in Andover and perceive every neighboring town to be poor.

I also see rednecks as being conservative and poor. Tewksbury is one of the most conservative towns in the Commonwealth despite not being particularly wealthy. I wouldn't be surprised if Artie T (CEO of Market Basket) has a higher net worth than the rest of the town combined.
There are towns like Topsfield, Merrimac, and Groveland in Lower Merrimack Valley that are rural, conservative and nearly. totally lack industry.
Also I would reconsider your definition of poor, Tewksbury's median household income is $94,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts