Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2016, 07:06 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Maybe, but how many people realistically are keeping that gun in a safe locked up properly, then taking it out, putting it in the bedstand at night, then locking it back up every morning.
It's pretty easy actually. I have a biometric safe in my nightstand. Only my fingerprint opens it. Would take me 5 seconds or so to get to it if needed. Really as easy as swiping your finger, and it pops open. It's a pretty robust safe, the keys are locked inside, and I purposely forgot the access code. Only my finger is opening this, so I really need to keep on top of making sure the battery is fresh.

We live in a safe neighborhood, so honestly I use it just to hold cash, important docs, and misc stuff that I don't want to lose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by civis View Post
In most civilized countries such way of keeping a deadly weapon is prohibited by the law

Correct, as it is in MA as well. No way would I keep an unsecured, loaded firearm sitting around. But thanks for assuming.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 07-26-2016 at 07:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 07:32 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
I'm from Texas. I know the difference. And I also know very well the attitude and drive behind people who want semi-automatic weapons.
Boy scouts use semi-auto weapons. What's their attitude and drive?

They even have a semi-automatic commemorative rifle.

http://www.kingdomarms.com/store/ima...2_BOYSCOUT.jpg

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-27-2016 at 04:00 AM..

Old 07-26-2016, 09:15 PM

25,552 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
what does that have to do with whether the gun was a semi auto, bolt action or anything else?..........
Nothing at all.

See, that's the point. The people who are just dying to shoot someone will still get a chance. They will still be able to shoot through doors and plug whomever they wish. Even with, say, a TC Contender.

So you don't need those rapidly loaded pistols that go bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang, now, do you?

But it's just not,..well, sexy to be toting around something that only shoots just a few times.

Old 07-26-2016, 09:22 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,550,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I'm from Texas!!!

So everything I say about Country, God and guns is the gospel!!

Palleeeeeezeeeeee get over yourself.

You apparently know VERY little about hunting, shooting,firearms, self defense or humans.
Weak response. I was accused of not knowing what a semi-automatic weapon is. I made the point that I'm from Texas, and most folks in Texas from my generation know about guns. Which somehow unleashed your out-of-control screed.

Get over your own undeveloped self.

Old 07-26-2016, 09:23 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,550,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Boy scouts use semi-auto weapons. What's their attitude and drive?

They even have a semi-automatic commemorative rifle.
Boy Scouts themselves don't make the rules; that would be the domain of the paramilitary mindset of their elders.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:40 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,404,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Can somebody explain to me why they need a semi-automatic rifle with a high capacity detachable magazine? A semi-automatic rifle like a Remington 750 that doesn't have a detachable magazine is totally legal. If it takes more than 4 rounds to drop Bambi, you should be laying off the Jack Daniels.

The Massachusetts law banning those dates back to 1994. All the AG has done is state that the state will be enforcing that law.
Please read the 2nd amendment before spewing this tired old argument.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:57 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,404,481 times
Quote:
These guns aren't automatic. Those have been highly regulated and controlled for decades. You pretty much can't legally own a automatic firearm without jumping through massive, and expensive ($10-20K+), hoops.
Don't waste your time on someone who believes that AR-15's are automatics, that should tell you everything you should know about him/her.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:41 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
It's pretty easy actually. I have a biometric safe in my nightstand. Only my fingerprint opens it. Would take me 5 seconds or so to get to it if needed. Really as easy as swiping your finger, and it pops open. It's a pretty robust safe, the keys are locked inside, and I purposely forgot the access code. Only my finger is opening this, so I really need to keep on top of making sure the battery is fresh.
That's pretty cool. For some reason I doubt many handgun owners are this safe. I hope I'm wrong on this.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:04 AM

29,433 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Nothing at all.

See, that's the point. The people who are just dying to shoot someone will still get a chance. They will still be able to shoot through doors and plug whomever they wish. Even with, say, a TC Contender.

So you don't need those rapidly loaded pistols that go bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang, now, do you?

But it's just not,..well, sexy to be toting around something that only shoots just a few times.

Wow... I actually just started laughing at your reply. Is this a serious reply or are you joking around ? I'm actually trying to make some sort of sense of it.

You are basically saying it doesn't matter what it is , because someone, anyone is dying to shoot someone else ? But because a semi auto is more sexy (??) this person that is dying to shoot someone regardless of the type of firearm will choose that over a firearm that shoots only a few rounds ?

Old 07-27-2016, 07:17 AM

24,456 posts, read 17,203,514 times
Quote:
Yes, in NH and many other states, you can get 100 rd magazines if you wanted. MA does regulate ammo. You need a license (which is tied to a background check) to buy and possess.

I don't think anything is going to be effective. Like you said, guns are everywhere and if someone wants one, they can get it. So all this legislation does is chip away bit by bit, affecting those who play by the rules. it's sort of like cigarettes. Remember when half the restaurant used to be the smoking section? Now you have towns banning smoking in public places, and nobody cares because they did it over the course of 20-30 years rather than overnight. That's the main reason why you are seeing gun owners fight against ANY new legislation. It's viewed as death by a thousand cuts. You don't ban firearms overnight, you just take a little bit here and there.

The latest mass shootings weren't done by firearm enthusiasts like myself who are of no threat to the general public. The one thing the shooters had in common is they all procured their weapons very shortly before doing what they did. That's why I think the AG did this. I'm positive it will get challenged in court, and possibly defeated, but in the meantime, she cut off someone from waking up tomorrow and saying they want to buy an AR and go shoot up a nightclub in Boston. However, as a result, the 10's of thousands of honest MA citizens woke up felons on Wednesday morning, are now technically wondering what happens to them with a retroactive 10-year felony hanging over their head.

That is just what the Gov is doing they are chipping away at our rights. At the beach the slow eroding goes unnoticed until a great chunk falls off. That is why the NRA makes such a tough stand on any new gun laws because they know if they give an inch that much more will be lost.

When you buy ammo in Mass you need to show the proper firearm license to do so. If you are trying to buy bullets for a handgun and you only have a FID card for a rifle or shotgun the store will not sell to you because by law you cannot own a handgun.

Also at the discretion of the gun store if they feel that you are not fit to sell to they can deny you.
If you walked in drunk, high, boiling mad or simply suspicious it is in their right not to sell you anything. The same goes for a car dealer.
I'm very surprised that this right to refusal has not been challenged in court yet by someone who feels that they were profiled.
In the Orlando nightclub shooting the terrorist went to a gun store and was trying to buy large quantities of ammo and body armor. The way he was acting got the shop owners radar up so he refused to sell and made a call to the Police. He did the right thing but it was too little too late.

The system does for the most part work.

Back to the slow erosion of gun rights, what Healey has done is broken off a big chunk of rights all at once. Now we have people wondering what they can and cannot do. The last thing a law abiding gun owner wants to do is break the law and put his or her firearm license in jeopardy.

Healey has succeded in stopping gun sales.
Healey has thrown all legal law abiding gun owners into a deep dark hole and it is going to take some time and great effort to climb out and no doubt along the way we will lose a bit of our rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts