Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 02:32 PM

3 posts, read 2,380 times

Advertisements

Hey guys. My wife and I are tired of the obnoxious, often dangerous heat, the poor education, and bland weather/landscape of Florida. I am originally from New Jersey, and moved to Florida to wrestle alligators 14 years ago, and did for 7 years. My wife has never been out of Florida and is dying to live someplace that has seasons, snow, cold, etc. My problem is, my particular skill set leaves a lot to be desired. I am an entertainer. I worked at a theme park wrestling alligators, and working with big reptiles/snakes. I have been a tour guide, and right now am working at a local farm/roadside attraction driving a monster truck while giving eco tours. So basically, I am skilled at zoo keeping, entertainment, and being a tour guide. Anything with public speaking. Not really transferable skills I guess. However, considering Boston is a big city, I was thinking there should be places for me to work. Museums, zoos, city tours, etc. I am currently looking all this up, but any help would be appreciated. Am i doomed to broil in Florida forever, or is there a possibility of supporting a family for me up there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 02:36 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,724,941 times
Well, having some friends that work at the zoos/aquariums here, and having interned at one myself, I'd say probably not. They pay VERY VERY little. The zookeepers at Stone started at under 30k a year (degree required) just a few years ago, and there is never any shortage of applicants. Heck, even becoming a volunteer with Zoo New England or something like it (ala the MassAudubon places with animals) is competitive.

Old 07-26-2016, 02:41 PM

3 posts, read 2,380 times
How about restaurants? I have worked in a few down here, opened a couple, and one thing I remember about living in the NY metro area was that servers in NYC KEPT their jobs forever because they could make up to 6 figures a year working at an upscale, fine dining establishment. Surely Boston has to have some big time restaurants, no?

Old 07-26-2016, 02:43 PM

Sure they do. One can earn good money at some.

Old 07-26-2016, 03:24 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,666,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8Edge316 View Post
How about restaurants? I have worked in a few down here, opened a couple, and one thing I remember about living in the NY metro area was that servers in NYC KEPT their jobs forever because they could make up to 6 figures a year working at an upscale, fine dining establishment. Surely Boston has to have some big time restaurants, no?
Sure, but getting one of those 6 figure server jobs at a super high end restaurant isn't the easiest thing to pull off.

Old 07-26-2016, 04:35 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,358,553 times
Your wife is looking to move to New Hampshire, based on her posts. For what it's worth, New Hampshire has even fewer alligators than Massachusetts.

Old 07-26-2016, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Your wife is looking to move to New Hampshire, based on her posts. For what it's worth, New Hampshire has even fewer alligators than Massachusetts.

I don't know about that at all actually. The laws in NH are much more permissive on exotic species than Massachusetts, and the New England Herp Show takes place in Manchester.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:06 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,802,911 times
You'll probably have to make a career change, but you are far better off going to NH or ME instead of MA. MA is so overpriced. I've lived in FL and trust me, the sticker shock alone will kill you coming from FL.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:49 PM

190 posts, read 200,584 times
Default South Florida is expensive too

Yes, Mass is expensive and I am not sure what the op can do in Mass. There are lots of tour operators, maybe he can drive a duck boat. But the col is pretty expensive in South Florida, rents are high and food too. NH might be a possibility too. I do not blame the op in wanting to leave Fla, lots of transients, swamps and canals and the heat is wicked.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:58 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,802,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riblue View Post
Yes, Mass is expensive and I am not sure what the op can do in Mass. There are lots of tour operators, maybe he can drive a duck boat. But the col is pretty expensive in South Florida, rents are high and food too. NH might be a possibility too. I do not blame the op in wanting to leave Fla, lots of transients, swamps and canals and the heat is wicked.
Based on his wife's posts, they live in central FL...much cheaper than South Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts