Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 02:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,056 times

Advertisements

I am accepting a new position in Project Management that allows me to work from home. Therefore, I am able to work from wherever. I currently live in TN, relocated from Chapel Hill, NC but originally from NY. My brother lives in South Shore. I would like to be closer to him and his family, hence my decision to move to Boston. My salary is very good btwn 70-80k. Although I will work from home I plan on putting kids in daycare.

I'm looking for advice on areas near South shore or 30 minutes or less driving. I would prefer to rent a house. My research so far has not yielded many options. What areas can you suggest that offer good daycare options, safe, affordable rent and great amenities - shopping and dining.

I'm looking to relocate in October.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2016, 02:51 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,696,023 times
You can't afford to put 2 kids in daycare here on $80k/year, let alone 3.

I understand wanting to be near your brother but you probably can't afford to move here.

Old 07-31-2016, 03:17 PM

536 posts, read 844,828 times
Plymouth's the "youngest" town in MA, or was last time I checked. The demographics suggest a lot of children and therefore some childcare options. The COL isn't too bad for the South Shore. That town does have rentals. Bourne or Sagamore (just at the beginning of the Cape) are more affordable, too, as is North Attleboro (just on the border with RI). There are a number of Rhode Island towns along the border that are very quaint and pretty, and quite a bit more affordable (in housing prices) than MA, but RI's taxes bewilder me so it's hard to tell what the real COL is there.

Best of luck! The income you report would be OK except that childcare is so high in the South Shore area.

Maybe you could work something out with an au pair person or housekeeper that you could supervise a bit if problems came up during the day. Some nice South Shore area towns that are more affordable: Pembroke and Hanson. Plymouth does have a lot of crime in certain parts, but it's a huge town, I think the largest town in MA, and many neighborhoods are safe.

Old 07-31-2016, 04:01 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,770 times
Be aware that daycare costs here are huge. They're about twice what they were in Pennsylvania, when we lived there. I thought 3 kids in daycare would be a lot of money when I was down near Philly -- a prohibitive amount, really. So look into that. Is your oldest almost 5? How many years would you need the kids in daycare? Many of the towns have preschools, so if the kids are 4 or so, that might be enough for you to work at home.

Many people, if they have 2 or more kids end up with an au pair or nanny, because of the cost issue. (Personally, I like a high quality daycare because of the socialization with other kids, etc., but if I were in a position where I had 3 kids who needed care, I don't think I'd be able to afford it. At least not full day, full time for all of them.)

Old 07-31-2016, 04:13 PM

550 posts, read 680,411 times
She can always look into home daycares as long as they are licensed
of course. Centers are much more expensive

Old 07-31-2016, 04:38 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,696,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sal1181 View Post
She can always look into home daycares as long as they are licensed
of course. Centers are much more expensive
Lets say you manage to find a home based daycare for $1k/month per kid. Even with a multi child discount she'd be spending almost half her pre tax income on child care. It's not feasible.

Old 07-31-2016, 04:58 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Lets say you manage to find a home based daycare for $1k/month per kid. Even with a multi child discount she'd be spending almost half her pre tax income on child care. It's not feasible.
OP indicated she is separated, so she may very well be getting money from her husband that would go toward care.

Old 07-31-2016, 05:51 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,921,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
OP indicated she is separated, so she may very well be getting money from her husband that would go toward care.
OP: You've given us a salary but that's not a budget. I use a (relatively inexpensive) home daycare that comes out to about $1200/month/child. I have coworker who pay more than double that. Unless you've got additional income that you're not mentioning, you will only be able to afford day care in the greater Boston area but not really much else. I would recommend against coming here. If you do have additional income can you give us a total available for housing+daycare? Without that we'll all just be giving you somewhat blind information.

Old 07-31-2016, 06:42 PM

187 posts, read 217,278 times
South shore is cheaper than Boston area. You can can a condo, and find cheap daycare. In MetroWest we were paying around $1140 a month at a home daycare for one child! You would have to really research daycare before the move.

Old 08-01-2016, 02:04 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,493,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post

True, but there's always the off chance something interrupts that income, such as ex losing a job, or simply not paying. You never know.

But $80K, 2 (maybe 3) kids in daycare, plus renting a house? Prob $1100/kid for daycare, and $2k/month to rent a house? That's going to stretch a budget unless her ex has a $2k/month child support order against him. (and isn't challenging the relocation to begin with)

Of course, that's some assumption on my part. My apologies if any is incorrect, but MA is incredibly expensive to live here on one income
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts