Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 06:26 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times

Advertisements

Condo in Chelmsford, or Tewksbury is right around that number
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 08:46 AM

187 posts, read 217,333 times
I agree about Chelmsford or Tweskbury...Billrecia maybe

Old 08-04-2016, 09:21 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,723,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Windham NH.
Don't you get a double whammy if you live in NH and work in MA? MA income tax and NH property tax?

Old 08-04-2016, 09:51 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Don't you get a double whammy if you live in NH and work in MA? MA income tax and NH property tax?
Depends on the towns you're cross shopping. Most of the preferred NH towns are in the 19-23 per thousand range, which isn't too far off towns like Bolton, Chelmsford, Acton, Harvard, Dunstable, etc. Particularly once you compare town assessments and market price on equivalent homes.

I played this game last year when I was dabbling with homes in Hollis NH, Amherst NH, Groton MA, Dunstable MA, and Harvard MA. All of these towns have similar per capita, high ranked schools, and similar (meh) access to metro Boston/95. Running the numbers (and ignoring the income tax bump I would receive) the overall tax burden in the NH towns was comparable if you assumed similar acreage, sqft, condition, and finishes.

Old 08-04-2016, 10:50 AM

4,693 posts, read 3,472,283 times
I just want to give a quick bit of advice on NH school systems and special ed. Most of the towns are way behind most towns in Massachusetts. When we started looking into buying (our son is autistic) NH was totally off the table because lack of services and I just heard too many horror stories. Maybe through research you might find a town in southern New Hampshire that has good special ed but we just couldn't find one.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:37 PM

550 posts, read 680,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Not for $250K!
She could find a condo for that price. Not a huge selection though. I've seen them before.

Old 08-05-2016, 06:32 AM

248 posts, read 342,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sal1181 View Post
She could find a condo for that price. Not a huge selection though. I've seen them before.
I don't think that's the case now, unfortunately. As, I'd have suggested Westford as well. Though my son's needs are not as great as those of the OP's son, he has been on an IEP all the way through the Westford school system (he's in high school this year). They have done a really good job, the special ed folks have been great.

The only things any time recently, for sale, for $250K or less are those cottages at Summer Village and they are not year round homes and you cannot use the school system based on owning one.

I don't think two teacher salaries would qualify you for affordable housing.

At $350K, you might find something in Nab or Granitville. OP, would you consider renting? You may find things to rent within your budget, though there aren't a lot of rentals here, they do come around.

There is a two bedroom condo at Brookside Mill for $324K right now.

I wouldn't suggest NHl, as it is not as generous with social services in general as Massachusetts is.

Last edited by KKay9; 08-05-2016 at 06:44 AM..

Old 08-06-2016, 07:57 AM

13 posts, read 12,448 times
Thanks to everyone for all the feedback! While my first year in MA will be teaching in Lowell, we would prefer to move a little more West the next year. I love the area around Groton, MA. That could mean that if we find a place near there, I would just have to commute a little further the first year. My son is now 14 and is currently attending Wediko's school in NH. He should be able to step down to a less restrictive school setting, but he will probably never be able to attend a regular school. I know that some school systems do support placements like when the child is not capable of functioning in regular Ed. I am hoping wherever we settle that they will be able to help us.
Any other feedback is appreciated!

Old 08-06-2016, 12:34 PM

4,693 posts, read 3,472,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanieak View Post
Thanks to everyone for all the feedback! While my first year in MA will be teaching in Lowell, we would prefer to move a little more West the next year. I love the area around Groton, MA. That could mean that if we find a place near there, I would just have to commute a little further the first year. My son is now 14 and is currently attending Wediko's school in NH. He should be able to step down to a less restrictive school setting, but he will probably never be able to attend a regular school. I know that some school systems do support placements like when the child is not capable of functioning in regular Ed. I am hoping wherever we settle that they will be able to help us.
Any other feedback is appreciated!
We live, right now, in Townsend. It's right past Groton and you can find a house out here in the 250,000$ range. My advice if you do move to this district (North Middlesex Regional) do not settle for the special ed collaborative. Look into Perkins in Lancaster. There is another school in Lancaster but I can't think of its name right now. My son is autistic with behaviour issues. Perkins has been a game changer for my son.

Old 08-06-2016, 08:37 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Consider Littleton if you could up the budget for a modest house, or a very ordinary 2-bedroom apartment/condo next door in Acton. Easy commute to Lowell and a great town with excellent schools. If I had kids I'd certainly live in Acton any way I could, and would be happy with Littleton or Boxborough, too. Best wishes on your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts