Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 05:39 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times

Advertisements

Ok, I've come to the decision having a landline in this day and age is pretty useless and a waste of money as 90% of my calls are into my smartphone. The problem, apparently phone companies no longer have that cute little automated message that tells the caller, "this number has been disconnected, the new number is xxx-xxx-xxxx." And there is no way with our great modern technology to forward the old number to the smartphone number, even for a small fee. In addition to the smartphone number, I have Skype and a Google Voice account. But, at this point I can't come up with a workable solution. The only reason I care is that I don't want the few callers who may have forgotten my smartphone number or never had it to get a message that the phone number has been disconnected without any additional info.

All and any ideas appreciated on this one.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 05:57 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,807,412 times
How important is your Google Voice #? I would port my landline to a $9.99 ATT GoPhone burner and then port that to your Google Voice.

You can't port a landline to Google (last I knew), thus the extra step of porting it to a cell first. Nobody knows my Google Voice number, and even if they did they would call my normal cell #.

Old 08-16-2016, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
How important is your Google Voice #? I would port my landline to a $9.99 ATT GoPhone burner and then port that to your Google Voice.

You can't port a landline to Google (last I knew), thus the extra step of porting it to a cell first. Nobody knows my Google Voice number, and even if they did they would call my normal cell #.
Wolfgang, thanks a million. I have ATT as my other provider already, so I'll give that a go.

GoogleVoice number is new and not in use yet, so pretty unimportant at this point.

Old 08-16-2016, 06:05 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,723,943 times
You could switch your landline number to ooma and forward that to your phone. I don't recall the cost, but it's less than keeping the land line.

Old 08-16-2016, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
You could switch your landline number to ooma and forward that to your phone. I don't recall the cost, but it's less than keeping the land line.
Thanks Chicagoliz, I'll look into that too.

Old 08-16-2016, 06:31 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,807,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Wolfgang, thanks a million. I have ATT as my other provider already, so I'll give that a go.

GoogleVoice number is new and not in use yet, so pretty unimportant at this point.
If you wanted to you could also get an Obi VoIP bridge at home and set it up with your Google Voice number. Your house phone/cell phones/tablet etc. would all ring when someone called the number. I would definitely do this if I still had all the infrastructure in place at home for landlines instead of plastering over them.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:42 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,696,617 times
I have a magicjack for my landline. It costs me $5/month and the only people who call me on it are telemarketers.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
I have a magicjack for my landline. It costs me $5/month and the only people who call me on it are telemarketers.
The telemarketers must be so mad they aren't the only ones with a magicjack.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:57 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,696,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
The telemarketers must be so mad they aren't the only ones with a magicjack.
I have it this way I can give the number to anyone I don't want to call me. Also in the extremely unlikely event something happened to my cell I'd at least be able to make calls.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
I have it this way I can give the number to anyone I don't want to call me. Also in the extremely unlikely event something happened to my cell I'd at least be able to make calls.
nice strategy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts