U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 11:23 AM

1,528 posts, read 833,997 times

Advertisements

This probably sums it up best:

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 12:55 PM

1,331 posts, read 2,789,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
My wife's extremely large extended family from Franklin County would disagree with your myopic way of thinking on this topic.
Franklin County is Western Mass though. Maybe it's just a southern valley thing. My wife is life long resident of West Springfield, I asked her if Pittsfield is Western Mass. She said no it's in the Berkshires.

And the Springfield market television does not cover Berkshire county news at all. Nor does the Springfield Republican.

As far as youth hockey goes the GSL consists of teams from Mass, Ct , NH and Vermont. The Berkshire county teams all start one month after so that is the main reason they are not in the league. But for a few years Troy, Clifton Park , Bethlehem and Berkshire Bruins were all part of the GSL.

Old 08-22-2016, 02:55 PM

1,044 posts, read 979,204 times
I'm sorry this debate has reared its ugly head again. It refuses to die! I believe the answer is as follows: geographically, Western Mass. comprises the four westernmost counties, with a few possible cheaters added (Athol? Warren? Hardwick?) from extreme W. Worcester County. SOME people don't count the Berkshires as part of W. Mass. (both natives and non-natives); others do. They are CULTURALLY and geographically distinct, but, if you go ONLY by map, they are part of W. Mass. AND, regardless of what some folks think in Boston, central Mass. (including places like Gardner and Sterling) is NOT W. Mass. Does that cover it?

Old 08-22-2016, 05:36 PM

939 posts, read 1,225,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tovarisch View Post
I'm sorry this debate has reared its ugly head again. It refuses to die! I believe the answer is as follows: geographically, Western Mass. comprises the four westernmost counties, with a few possible cheaters added (Athol? Warren? Hardwick?) from extreme W. Worcester County. SOME people don't count the Berkshires as part of W. Mass. (both natives and non-natives); others do. They are CULTURALLY and geographically distinct, but, if you go ONLY by map, they are part of W. Mass. AND, regardless of what some folks think in Boston, central Mass. (including places like Gardner and Sterling) is NOT W. Mass. Does that cover it?
That covers it. Can people please get back to praising Western and/or Central MA like the OP intended?

Old 08-22-2016, 05:57 PM

1,331 posts, read 2,789,744 times
I love all of Massachusetts but have a greater love Western Mass. Slower pace, friendly people, no traffic , great scenery, weather is good. And we are still under two hours to Boston from most of greater Springfield.

I grew up in Brookline and loved it. My kids love going to my parents place. But we wouldn't trade our little slice of suburbia for it.

Old 08-22-2016, 05:58 PM

117 posts, read 98,061 times
I have to say, seeing all the viewpoints and reasons of how and why folks consider certain places what region is pretty fascinating.

I grew up in NJ. Back then, it was north or south, and the east coastline in general was "the shore". That was more obvious geographical labeling than actual regionalizing, since there was an accepted north shore and south shore. Trenton was the point where folks drew the line between the two (roughly the 195).

Locally, there's quite a fuss over dividing northwest and northeast Jersey because some hold to the idea that northeast has money (aka NYC suburb), and northwest does not, and both sides purposefully point to places with names like Waywayanda State Park as evidence to such--east derisively, west with pride.

It was only later that the notion of Central Jersey became popular. Central Jersey is roughly divided between the Philly suburbs and the NYC suburbs.

Related NJ Trivia: South Jersey once tried to separate from North Jersey to become its own state.

So I guess my next query is how to better word the thread title and references within, as I intended to include Central MA areas. Non Greater Boston area MA? West and Central MA? I'm not certain what phrasing would be best.

Old 08-22-2016, 05:59 PM

6,688 posts, read 5,841,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
Franklin County is Western Mass though. Maybe it's just a southern valley thing. My wife is life long resident of West Springfield, I asked her if Pittsfield is Western Mass. She said no it's in the Berkshires.

And the Springfield market television does not cover Berkshire county news at all. Nor does the Springfield Republican.

As far as youth hockey goes the GSL consists of teams from Mass, Ct , NH and Vermont. The Berkshire county teams all start one month after so that is the main reason they are not in the league. But for a few years Troy, Clifton Park , Bethlehem and Berkshire Bruins were all part of the GSL.
The republican doesn't because the Berkshire Eagle and iBerkshires are there.

Having said this though there are places I like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n8eEzB-eUQ

Home

gatewaycityarts

Amherst Cinema | Independent. Nonprofit.

The beer fests are good. The worthy was good. Went to jazz and roots festival for a bit. It's also nice to not have the traffic for the most part. Amherst is a pretty nice place and I didn't even go to the campus.

Old 08-22-2016, 06:15 PM

24,035 posts, read 23,488,244 times

So I guess my next query is how to better word the thread title and references within, as I intended to include Central MA areas. Non Greater Boston area MA? West and Central MA? I'm not certain what phrasing would be best.

Western MA & Central MA What do You Like sounds pretty good. Or What do You Like about WMass & Central MA. If you say, "Non greater Boston area" they're still going to talk about the Nawth Shaw and the Sawth Shaw, lol.

Old 08-22-2016, 06:33 PM

8,597 posts, read 13,193,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLeftTheValley View Post
I have to say, seeing all the viewpoints and reasons of how and why folks consider certain places what region is pretty fascinating.

You live in Worcester County, so why not just call it that? Worcester is the 2nd largest city in New England.

Old 08-23-2016, 05:05 AM

117 posts, read 98,061 times
Ok, I was going to change the title and my OP to reflect what I've learned, but the edit button is gone from the OP. So do I ask a mod? Start a new thread? What's standard practice here for such?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCMA View Post
That covers it. Can people please get back to praising Western and/or Central MA like the OP intended?
I missed this response, as I didn't check back after posting my latest reply prior to this. Fortunately, folks are getting back to it. It's been neat seeing what folks find likeable and worth sharing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

Western MA & Central MA What do You Like sounds pretty good. Or What do You Like about WMass & Central MA. If you say, "Non greater Boston area" they're still going to talk about the Nawth Shaw and the Sawth Shaw, lol.
Including both is probably best, and good point regarding the "Non Greater".
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
You live in Worcester County, so why not just call it that? Worcester is the 2nd largest city in New England.
My intent of covering what I now understand folks consider western and central hasn't changed, so to me it makes more sense to include both areas.

Last edited by LilyLeftTheValley; 08-23-2016 at 05:09 AM.. Reason: New information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts