Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 01:11 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,467,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
Imagine that now?

I don't know if that's a good thing...or a bad thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 01:12 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,788,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
More like 20 minutes. My wife and I frequently travel by bike, however it's not something I'm going to have my children do until they are considerably older.

Yes. Relative to other places close in to Boston, Brookline is a sneaky bad location from this perspective. When moving out of Boston we were considering both Brookline and Boston. I was thankful to have had a colleague who was abroad for a year and asked me to house sit for the summer. He lived near The Country Club and it was an absolute nightmare to get anywhere outside of Brookline. It's part of the reason I love Mid Cambridge. We have 4 different routes that will get us to Back Bay in 10 minutes. The pike entrance is a few minutes away and easy to get East, West or North from here. Airport is less than 10 minutes door to door at off hours, but still only 15-20 in the worst traffic.

My kids have grown up taking the T. In reality, it's not a pain in the ass at all.

With a little research and effort it's not much of an issue to be assigned to a fantastic school in Cambridge.

We spend less time collectively commuting and handling school drop off than my friends who live anywhere. It's not even close, and one of the reasons I will leave Cambridge kicking and screaming, if ever.
Yeah, we considered Cambridge in the past. One of the problems was the commute for my wife would be much worse than it is now. The commute for me from Cambridge would be great if we lived close the red line but again, what if I go to a different org. It’s completely possible and probable that I won’t spend what’s left of my career where I am. Then, both me and my wife may be screwed.

And that, my friend is the problem...if getting around weren’t such a tremendous issue then those types of things wouldn’t be such a burden. Just a couple miles can impact your quality of life to a great extent. That should not be the case and I don’t think it’s as bad in other cities. I can move to another org that may be the same distance away but it would take me more (or less) time to get there depending on location. That’s BS.

Edit: Just getting to a place like Home Depot, Costco, or Walmart is a whole production.

Old 09-13-2016, 01:32 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,930,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
That should not be the case and I don’t think it’s as bad in other cities. .
It isn't in less dense cities, or cities that are spread out and car based. But those have horrible downsides too. It's just preference. To me, Houston (for example) is hell.

Old 09-13-2016, 01:55 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,788,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It isn't in less dense cities, or cities that are spread out and car based. But those have horrible downsides too. It's just preference. To me, Houston (for example) is hell.
I really don't know if it's density or urban planning or whatever else. And I don't care to think about what it is because it'll just upset me (I know you think it shouldn't but it does, what can I say...I'm sensitive). I just want it different - better.

Old 09-13-2016, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
I really don't know if it's density or urban planning or whatever else. And I don't care to think about what it is because it'll just upset me (I know you think it shouldn't but it does, what can I say...I'm sensitive). I just want it different - better.

Everyone wants better. Look at the city/state threads, retirement threads, etc. They want XYZ for ABC price. Now I know price isn't a big constraint to you being a Brookline Dr, not like the vast majority of people, but that's just nature.

I'd love to have a 3 acre spread, but real close to good paying jobs, and arts and culture, with four seasons, and never have to get in a car to enjoy it, while being very affordable. But, some things don't exist.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:40 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,467,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
To me, Houston (for example) is hell.

Great example. Spent time there last year. Agree 100%

Old 09-15-2016, 11:13 AM

42 posts, read 39,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
I rode my bike in NYC all the time as a kid, even right down the middle of Times Square. I tried riding a bike once in Boston and refused to do it again. It's too dangerous, the roads can't handle it and there is absolutely no respect for right of way by both drivers and bicyclists alike.
A few years ago there was an article about Inman and Davis being one of the top places in the state for bike crashes. Hopefully that's changed but it can still be pretty tough in spots.

Old 09-15-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbqtim View Post
A few years ago there was an article about Inman and Davis being one of the top places in the state for bike crashes. Hopefully that's changed but it can still be pretty tough in spots.
Inman is bad. A woman who worked a Diesel was killed there just a little while back.

Old 09-15-2016, 11:42 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,401,145 times
https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...H1L/story.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts