Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2008, 09:34 PM

2 posts, read 12,229 times

Advertisements

I am considering taking a job in Waltham, and I live in Chelmsford. Any ideas on how long this commute will be during rush hour? Also, would there be a major difference between leaving at 7 A.M. compared to 8 A.M.?

My last commute was 25 minutes, so I'm hoping this commute will not exceed 45 minutes. But I've heard traffic can be bad on Rte. 3 S and Rte. 128 S. Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 12:16 AM

4,881 posts, read 13,742,426 times
Default From Point C to Point W

You've mentioned neither what part of Chelmsford you live in, nor what section of Waltham you work in. But if you reside towards the west side of town the quickest route would probably be 27 to 2. Setting out on your commute an hour earlier isn't that much of an advantage but could shave 5-15 minutes off your trip. Route 2 of course connects with 128/95, then runs parallel to Trapelo Rd, and I suspect that your job is (or would be) in that vicinity. If I were you I'd probably go out of my way to travel via 27 rather than Route 3. "They" destroyed that highway's tree-shaded median to make it six-lane and yet it still backs up during rush hours.

Don't rule out commuter rail if you'll be working on a dependably set schedule and reasonably close to the Waltham or Brandeis/Roberts stations. The South Acton stop is right on 27, south of Route 2 near the Maynard line, so you could be there and parked "in no time." The train ride takes a little over half an hour.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:54 AM

2 posts, read 12,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
You've mentioned neither what part of Chelmsford you live in, nor what section of Waltham you work in. But if you reside towards the west side of town the quickest route would probably be 27 to 2. Setting out on your commute an hour earlier isn't that much of an advantage but could shave 5-15 minutes off your trip. Route 2 of course connects with 128/95, then runs parallel to Trapelo Rd, and I suspect that your job is (or would be) in that vicinity. If I were you I'd probably go out of my way to travel via 27 rather than Route 3. "They" destroyed that highway's tree-shaded median to make it six-lane and yet it still backs up during rush hours.

Don't rule out commuter rail if you'll be working on a dependably set schedule and reasonably close to the Waltham or Brandeis/Roberts stations. The South Acton stop is right on 27, south of Route 2 near the Maynard line, so you could be there and parked "in no time." The train ride takes a little over half an hour.
Thanks for your insight. I live in North Chelmsford about 2 miles from Drum Hill and the potential company is 2 miles from exit 27 off of the 128 South on Winter Street. It doesn't appear to be near the commuter rail but I just moved here so I'm not that familiar with Waltham.

Any idea on the aproximate time it will take for my rush hour commute on the 27?

Old 02-23-2008, 05:43 PM

4,881 posts, read 13,742,426 times
Now that I know better where you hang your hat, I'd go with taking Route 4 in to 128. You'd probably have the easiest access to 4 from Treble Cove Rd; it's a two-lane highway that traverses the southern portion of Chelmsford and then cuts through a corner of Billerica and across Bedford before meeting 128 near the Lexington line. Not too many stoplights (we call 'em "sets of lights" around here lol) and traffic backups aren't all that bad. When I visit my "transplanted" friends in Chelmsford it's about 15-20 minutes from 128 to Treble Cove Rd. But that's on weekends and holidays obviously. For a commute like this past Friday's I'd allow closer to 45 minutes door to door. (You'd spend next to no time on 128 south from the 4/225 interchange.) Commuter rail would not be realistic.

Another lingo tip: No New Englander puts "the" before a route number Did you live in California before? LOL no worries!

Old 02-25-2008, 10:18 AM

15 posts, read 87,620 times
Default No Sweat

Hey ---

I live in Lowell and commute to Waltham (Winter St. exit). I prefer Route 3 to 128. If I leave my house by 6:45 am - 7 am the ride is not usually more than 45 minutes (sometimes less). Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts