Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 08:47 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,772 times

Advertisements

Is it just me or is there a LOT more noise from airplanes? When we moved here from Maryland, I remember that there was substantially less noise by airplanes than the Maryland area we came from. Now it seems worse, by far. Not only is there increased noise from small planes (probably more flying due to cheaper oil prices???), but also a lot more jets flying. We live not too far above the CT border, near 84 and I often go out for walks at night. Even then, you can hear at least one jet flying over every minute or two.. considering we live more than an hour from Logan and a good hour from Bradley... this seems like a lot.

forum rules, please read them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 09:22 PM

113 posts, read 141,906 times
You are under the flight path to and from Europe from Eastern US so all flights over fly that area.

Old 09-18-2016, 10:00 PM

It seems like it got a LOT worse in the past couple of years. Wonder if it has anything to do with NextGen. I used to remark how few planes I would hear... not anymore!

Old 09-19-2016, 07:11 AM

578 posts, read 572,750 times
There is an app called Plane finder for Android. Basically it displays all the planes above you that have filed a flight plan and are under air traffic control. You can use that to figure out what planes are flying by when you hear them.

I am not sure why you are hearing them more - in many cases they are pretty far away and not too audible. But this has been an air traffic route route for years and year. They follow the coast line flying trans Atlantic.

Old 09-19-2016, 07:31 AM

12,868 posts, read 22,026,395 times
In short- flight paths to/from Logan have changed in the past few years as Logan has implemented a new navigation system (and noise complaints have increased). In addition, Logan has added flights (a ton of new routes as well as increased frequencies on existing routes) and that trend will likely continue for the time being as more fuel-efficient aircraft and increased air traffic worldwide make Logan a more viable destination for airlines. While you're further from Logan than where the majority of the complaints are coming from, you'll still feel the changed routes/increased frequency (runways 4L/R at Logan are the most heavily trafficked, and flights approach those two from the Southwest). I'm sure some are destined for JFK, PVD, Bradley, Westchester, etc. Increased traffic to/from Europe will also play a part as any Europe flight heading to East Coast airports in NY, DC, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Atlanta, etc. will head over your neck of the woods.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudship View Post
There is an app called Plane finder for Android. Basically it displays all the planes above you that have filed a flight plan and are under air traffic control. You can use that to figure out what planes are flying by when you hear them.

I am not sure why you are hearing them more - in many cases they are pretty far away and not too audible. But this has been an air traffic route route for years and year. They follow the coast line flying trans Atlantic.
I will have to check for that, thanks!

Old 09-19-2016, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
In short- flight paths to/from Logan have changed in the past few years as Logan has implemented a new navigation system (and noise complaints have increased). In addition, Logan has added flights (a ton of new routes as well as increased frequencies on existing routes) and that trend will likely continue for the time being as more fuel-efficient aircraft and increased air traffic worldwide make Logan a more viable destination for airlines. While you're further from Logan than where the majority of the complaints are coming from, you'll still feel the changed routes/increased frequency (runways 4L/R at Logan are the most heavily trafficked, and flights approach those two from the Southwest). I'm sure some are destined for JFK, PVD, Bradley, Westchester, etc. Increased traffic to/from Europe will also play a part as any Europe flight heading to East Coast airports in NY, DC, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Atlanta, etc. will head over your neck of the woods.
Thanks for that. Luckily they are not loud enough to keep us awake at night or anything like that.... but when you are outside you are certainly aware of them. No more quiet evenings in the backyard... I can't imagine what it must be like living under the flightpaths now after they implemented "NextGen"... I hope those communities will get some relief.

Old 09-19-2016, 10:04 AM

15,798 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Living in visual range most of my life, I guess I got immune to airplane noise. But I can remember 20 years ago, I used to be able to hear airplanes fire up their engines to full power and take off and power out. It was LOUD! You never even saw the plane, but could hear it. 727's were always the worst.

Latest crop of planes, much quieter. You really only hear them when directly overhead, and even then it wasn't too bad.

Where I live now, they cruise on over once in a while at 10K feet, and you can still hear them, but certainly not as bad as they were 20 years ago.

Old 09-19-2016, 03:45 PM

I am glad they are not bothering you. I can't imagine getting immune to the noise near an airport, but I am glad you are They should give you property tax relief, for putting up with the noise

Old 09-19-2016, 03:59 PM

837 posts, read 1,225,755 times
There's a big to-do happening right now in my neck of the woods re jet noise. We've been in the middle of an established flight path for years. Planes fly over the neighborhood all the time. As BostonMike said, I guess I'm probably immune to it too. I still have childlike wonder looking up at them when I sit out on our deck at any time.

That said, and with all due respect, it's not like we're right next to Logan. Are people suddenly being super sensitive to the roar? Did people make a big to-do about it when I was a kid? I have no idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts