Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2016, 02:20 PM

12 posts, read 30,469 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any experience renting out their home in the Quincy area? I currently live in a modest 3 BR, 1.5 BR- 1,500 SF within walking distance to Wollaston MBTA stop.

I have an opportunity to make a move for work but I like the house, it is near family and it is a place I would like to settle back to in a few years.

I know apartment prices and demand in the area is hot- but I also think (cannot find a ton of info on this) a house may attract a different renter or follow a different economy than an apartment.

Any horror or success stories, tips or tricks renting houses in the Quincy area?

As always I appreciate all the help from everyone in City-Data- oh and also just to clarify this question is specifically regarding renting a house- if I had a duplex or condo that seems to be a more common process I am pretty familiar with...thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 08:25 PM

875 posts, read 662,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald.Waterman View Post
Anyone have any experience renting out their home in the Quincy area? I currently live in a modest 3 BR, 1.5 BR- 1,500 SF within walking distance to Wollaston MBTA stop.

I have an opportunity to make a move for work but I like the house, it is near family and it is a place I would like to settle back to in a few years.

I know apartment prices and demand in the area is hot- but I also think (cannot find a ton of info on this) a house may attract a different renter or follow a different economy than an apartment.

Any horror or success stories, tips or tricks renting houses in the Quincy area?

As always I appreciate all the help from everyone in City-Data- oh and also just to clarify this question is specifically regarding renting a house- if I had a duplex or condo that seems to be a more common process I am pretty familiar with...thanks!
Is it lead paint free/deleaded? SF houses often attract families with kids and it is a requirement.

Old 09-24-2016, 02:24 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times
To be frank I'd keep it. Quincy is predicted to be one of the fastest growing places in Mass.

massdot released population predictions. It's going to go over 100K.

My family had a two family house in quincy by the quincy center red line station. Sadly it was not kept up and it had to be sold

Old 09-24-2016, 05:40 PM

5,788 posts, read 5,101,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
To be frank I'd keep it. Quincy is predicted to be one of the fastest growing places in Mass.

massdot released population predictions. It's going to go over 100K.

My family had a two family house in quincy by the quincy center red line station. Sadly it was not kept up and it had to be sold
That's really too bad. If you kept it, the value will be so much higher even in just three years.

Old 09-25-2016, 07:44 PM

Well it wasn't kept up with the times either and to put in the five to maybe six figures would be quite a bit. Another house was in westwood and nearly the same way.

Some might argue against it but frankly I think that houses should keep up with the times. Historic is nice don't get me wrong but being energy efficient, being wired for the internet, having newer amenities that will not break down etc.

Old 09-26-2016, 01:22 AM

837 posts, read 1,224,954 times
Quote:
Well it wasn't kept up with the times either and to put in the five to maybe six figures would be quite a bit. Another house was in westwood and nearly the same way.
Actually I think this more common than you may realize. Right now there are three houses in my neighborhood for sale which all need some kind of serious work. One of them has serious water damage. Their owners couldn't afford the upkeep. My mother and her immediate neighbors were the same. I inherited my mother's house and I can't afford the upkeep either, which means when I do sell it's going to be an *as is*. The median going rate for an *as is* around here is in the 400's. It's all about location.

Old 09-26-2016, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xo_kizzy_xo View Post
Actually I think this more common than you may realize. Right now there are three houses in my neighborhood for sale which all need some kind of serious work. One of them has serious water damage. Their owners couldn't afford the upkeep. My mother and her immediate neighbors were the same. I inherited my mother's house and I can't afford the upkeep either, which means when I do sell it's going to be an *as is*. The median going rate for an *as is* around here is in the 400's. It's all about location.
It pretty much is it. I don't want to sound against either but sometimes if people cannot see or hear what needs to be fixed in a building then they might not realize it before it's too late. Had my grandmother maybe kept up the house from the 1970's onward maybe it could have been rented but certainly it would have sold for much higher (kinda close to your range). The other advantage with it was that nearly everything was on one floor. Once someone gets older stairs can be an enemy.

The other house could have been so much more but sometimes when there's more attention to someones health rather than the building it goes by the wayside. It was sad but the memories are still there.

Old 09-27-2016, 04:22 AM

837 posts, read 1,224,954 times
Quote:
It pretty much is it. I don't want to sound against either but sometimes if people cannot see or hear what needs to be fixed in a building then they might not realize it before it's too late. Had my grandmother maybe kept up the house from the 1970's onward maybe it could have been rented but certainly it would have sold for much higher (kinda close to your range). The other advantage with it was that nearly everything was on one floor. Once someone gets older stairs can be an enemy.
Yep *nods* I know the owner of the one of houses I mentioned went into a NH not long ago. The other, I have no idea. My neighbor at the other end of my street unexpectedly passed last spring...she was in her late 60s, I think, and like me had inherited her childhood home. She couldn't afford the upkeep either.

I don't think my mother was aware of upkeep the older she became. She developed dementia in her mid 70s and passed in her early 80s. She'd had carpenter bees living in the eaves for eons, and she used to love watching them buzz around from her bathroom window (she thought they were bumblebees). Ever since I've been here I haven't seen any, so I'm thinking either they've died out or the rafters are going to collapse any minute OTOH when we had the chimney repaired a couple of years ago the contractor remarked that our roof is in very good condition for its age

Quote:
The other house could have been so much more but sometimes when there's more attention to someones health rather than the building it goes by the wayside. It was sad but the memories are still there.
I think this happens more often than not, tbh, especially in a neighborhood where the elderly population is higher than family.

Old 09-27-2016, 10:43 AM

425 posts, read 646,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald.Waterman View Post
I would keep it if the cash flow is at least neutral but get a property manager who knows Quincy if you are not going to be local. I rented out a house and there is more upkeep than a condo so that maintenance is going to be key to a smooth process. Also be upfront on whether the tenant does landscaping and shoveling or you do it.

Old 10-01-2016, 12:40 PM

85 posts, read 332,891 times
I rent out my condo in Quincy...it's a great city with so much going for it, and, as others have mentioned, it's a growing community. Be sure that you become familiar with Massachusetts landlord/tenant law. Feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
View detailed profiles of: