Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 06:44 AM

76 posts, read 108,524 times

Advertisements

Hi Boston area community! Help!!

Relocating from FL in 2 weeks, will work in Waltham, near the reservoir, need to find an apartment newly constructed (happy wife, happy life, etc), can't tell new from old by googling around so has anyone out there seen any newly built apartment buildings within a short commute to Waltham? Along Rte 20 would be great. I found something in Marlborough but it's probably a congested commute from there. Thanks in advance if anyone can suggest a place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2016, 06:50 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,422,737 times
I wouldn't hold on to the new construction thing, you'll be very disappointed. RT20 isn't that bad of a ride most of the time.

Old 10-02-2016, 08:03 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,724,745 times
What happened with all of the advice you received in the other thread you posted about this? I thought it sounded like Waltham itself would fit your needs. Has something changed?

You're not going to find much brand-new construction, but there are plenty of modern buildings.

Old 10-02-2016, 08:04 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
There are tons of newer apartment buildings in Waltham (at least by area standards). A friend lives at The Avalon on Bear Hill and really likes it. That's on 117 but right near the 117/20 intersection. I think they also recently opened an apartment complex in one of the old watch factories but I don't believe that's bear RT 20.

Very few people in the Boston area live in anything BRAND new but if you've got the right budget you can certainly live someplace very modern and newer.

Old 10-02-2016, 08:39 AM

161 posts, read 231,059 times
I don't know what your budget is, but I know of these new construction apartments in/near Waltham

Watertown Apartments For Rent | Watertown Mews
The Merc at Moody & Main - Waltham, MA

I heard the Merc does not have parking.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:34 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,813,014 times
I'll just say that I was where you are 22+ years ago. I wish I would've stayed in Florida. I find the Boston area to be way overpriced and overrated. And the cost of living is worse now than in the mid 90s.

In any event, best of luck!

Old 10-02-2016, 09:47 AM

3,689 posts, read 7,429,804 times
If you have the budget, then The Merc, mentioned above, is the way to go for new and in Waltham.

Old 10-02-2016, 10:15 AM

1,055 posts, read 1,415,487 times
"Need your eyes" makes me wonder if you're French. There's a French saying, "That'll cost you the eyes in your head", which they say where we'd say "Costs an arm and a leg". Given the price of housing around here, and the need to pay for heating in winter, maybe that's what you were thinking. It certainly would be easier to pay for it with someone else's body parts!

Old 10-02-2016, 02:50 PM

76 posts, read 108,524 times
So much good friendly advice, thanks!! Here are some replies grouped on the same post to save space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins_Fan View Post
I'll just say that I was where you are 22+ years ago. I wish I would've stayed in Florida. I find the Boston area to be way overpriced and overrated. And the cost of living is worse now than in the mid 90s.

In any event, best of luck!
I'm still in the workforce for a few more years and it's humorous or ironic that I'm moving to Boston. A few years ago, one company needed my particular set of skills and moved me down here to FL. That project concluded and now a different company needs me up there to take care of some similar things. So time to move once again. Good thing I'm originally from southern New England so I know what to expect. Gonna need to get some cold weather clothing and good boots. Too bad Filenes Basement is long gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00na View Post
I don't know what your budget is, but I know of these new construction apartments in/near Waltham

Watertown Apartments For Rent | Watertown Mews
The Merc at Moody & Main - Waltham, MA

I heard the Merc does not have parking.
They both look really good, thanks and I'll check them out when the relocation process begins shortly. My budget can take the hit but I'm so cheap / frugal that someone may have to break out the paddles (the defibrillator paddles that is) when I pay that rent!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
What happened with all of the advice you received in the other thread you posted about this? I thought it sounded like Waltham itself would fit your needs. Has something changed?

You're not going to find much brand-new construction, but there are plenty of modern buildings.
Hi Chicagoliz: I received a lot of good advice from you and others and checked out a lot of places online. I saw many nice places that have been updated and may have potential. Then my wife voiced her preference for new construction so you know the saying "happy wife, happy life", (actually she has mobility problems so she stays inside much of the time, sadly). I also prefer new, like anybody probably would, but that's really hard to find in good old crusty Boston so I turned to this forum once again. Once this project is finished in a few years, we'll be ready to settle down somewhere a little more temperate in the weather department.

Old 10-02-2016, 07:10 PM

161 posts, read 231,059 times
One more to consider. It is in the same general area as Watertown Mews.
Currents on the Charles | Luxury Apartments in Waltham, MA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts