Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 04:40 PM

536 posts, read 844,562 times

Advertisements

Well, I am a full professor at a uni and have an ivy degree, and am of Portuguese Irish descent--and I drive old cars and have been pulled over by cops twice in Florida. This is remarkable b/c I hardly ever even drive at night in FL. This was coming home from night classes.

I call that type of police activism (where the activator is an old car) racism and/or classism, not due diligence. I've never gotten a ticket of any kind.

Last time I looked, driving an old car was not against any law as long as it has its registration intact.

Old 11-10-2016, 05:39 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,672,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyalicemore View Post
Well, I am a full professor at a uni and have an ivy degree, and am of Portuguese Irish descent--and I drive old cars and have been pulled over by cops twice in Florida. This is remarkable b/c I hardly ever even drive at night in FL. This was coming home from night classes.

I call that type of police activism (where the activator is an old car) racism and/or classism, not due diligence. I've never gotten a ticket of any kind.

Last time I looked, driving an old car was not against any law as long as it has its registration intact.
How do you know that's why they pulled you over?

Old 11-10-2016, 06:44 PM

It was late at night, I wasn't speeding, and was driving an old car because I don't buy a new one til the old one drops. Never have had a ticket.

The police down here are notorious for "profiling" old cars. They have shot people in fancy neighborhoods because they were on bicycles.

Sounds as if profiling is not unknown in Mass, either. Which is sad.

Old 11-10-2016, 06:50 PM

Quote:
It was late at night, I wasn't speeding, and was driving an old car because I don't buy a new one til the old one drops. Never have had a ticket.

The police down here are notorious for "profiling" old cars. They have shot people in fancy neighborhoods because they were on bicycles.

Sounds as if profiling is not unknown in Mass, either. Which is sad.
What department in FLA? Do you have any links or anything to back this up? I call BS on all 3.

Old 11-10-2016, 09:03 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,940,305 times
Quote:

All too common. Sadly.

Old 11-12-2016, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
All too common. Sadly.
Source? I have driven older vehicles and never been targeted for it.

These tin-foil hat claims, there is almost always more to the story. People don't like to admit when they effed up. Rather than admit they were texting while driving, acting suspicious/stupid; it's always "Oh well the "man" is after me because of xyz..."

Or they embrace the victim mentality. Or they just want a story to tell...

Old 11-12-2016, 11:38 AM

9,080 posts, read 6,302,894 times
I always thought Holbrook was next in line to become the new Brockton.

Old 11-12-2016, 01:10 PM

The local news in SE FL cover this matter about police stopping older cars.

Massnative, life is short I am not going to return your blows, or cite a source. I have work to do today, and who are you to assign work to me?

I am just going to stop wasting my time. Nobody's on this planet is unlimited.

Tin hats indeed. They prevailed this week for sure.

Old 11-12-2016, 03:28 PM

5,788 posts, read 5,101,916 times
Quote:

Massnative, life is short I am not going to return your blows, or cite a source. I have work to do today, and who are you to assign work to me?

That is definitely the case this week.

Old 11-12-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:

Being in disbelief, I did multiple google searches for this in both FL and anywhere else. NOTHING. That is why I asked. It is nothing I have ever heard of, and there is no reason for them to. Now targetting tinted windows, flashy new cars driving aimlessly around rougher neighborhoods...that would make sense and I wouldn't doubt it. For the past two years the web has been littered with fictional claims like yours for the purpose of feeding the ongoing war against police. Of course I will question it when I see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts