Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 05:32 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times

Advertisements

Easton definitely isnt that nice. Its just suffering from residual Brockton riff raff.

Avon and Stoughton are the towns that are really declining.

And Holbrook, I guess, too.

Old 11-13-2016, 05:37 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,696,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Easton definitely isnt that nice. Its just suffering from residual Brockton riff raff.

Avon and Stoughton are the towns that are really declining.

And Holbrook, I guess, too.
I disagree. It's not that these towns are declining, it's that the problems caused by Brockton's decline are spreading. Almost all the crime in the places you listed are directly as a result of Brockton (including addiction issues). The average person in those towns will never experience an issue.

Old 11-13-2016, 06:47 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
I disagree. It's not that these towns are declining, it's that the problems caused by Brockton's decline are spreading. Almost all the crime in the places you listed are directly as a result of Brockton (including addiction issues). The average person in those towns will never experience an issue.
Towns with a commuter rail stop like Stoughton don't decline. Brockton mostly just needs the Middleborough/Lakeville rail line to be improved and it will gentrify. Electrified autonomous trains with a 24x7 30 minute schedule and 25 minute ride to South Station. You can't get to work in Boston by automobile and it gets worse every year.

Old 11-13-2016, 04:37 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Towns with a commuter rail stop like Stoughton don't decline. Brockton mostly just needs the Middleborough/Lakeville rail line to be improved and it will gentrify. Electrified autonomous trains with a 24x7 30 minute schedule and 25 minute ride to South Station. You can't get to work in Boston by automobile and it gets worse every year.
I disagree with your point about a commuter rail, a lot of towns have commuter rail and have declined at one time or another.

Old 11-13-2016, 05:40 PM

10,012 posts, read 15,659,151 times
Brockton has a commuter rail, hasn't helped.

Old 11-14-2016, 02:44 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,104,962 times
Commuter rail is only a plus when you have a population that have jobs in the finance and health fields of Boston....Brockton doesn't and it's hard to start the cycle of gentrification when there are much better options closer to Boston that are still relatively affordable and with far lower crime stats.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:11 AM

636 posts, read 705,781 times
Four months ago i asked "Is Easton the "new Brockton".

Boston Radio reporting a Murder in Easton this week. According to Boston Radio, one arrest, a group may be involved in the murder. Sounds like Brockton!

Last edited by wror; 11-14-2016 at 07:35 AM..

Old 11-14-2016, 08:40 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wror View Post
Four months ago i asked "Is Easton the "new Brockton".

Boston Radio reporting a Murder in Easton this week. According to Boston Radio, one arrest, a group may be involved in the murder. Sounds like Brockton!
Better notify the RE market, which has a median listing price of $430K.

Easton will become the "new Brockton" about the same time Andover becomes the "new Lawrence", that is to say, not very likely in the near term.

Old 11-14-2016, 10:09 AM

636 posts, read 705,781 times
Easton Ma. has had more murders this year than Brockton,Ma.

Old 11-14-2016, 10:32 AM

339 posts, read 665,001 times
I found this thread interesting. When we were looking to buy a home we were priced out of Easton. I'd always heard good things about the town. But when we mentioned to others that we were disappointed we were priced out of Easton they said it isn't all it was cracked up to be, so don't sweat not being able to pay a premium to live there. That was earlier this year. Didn't think much of it until I started following this thread. So when I got to work I asked my buddies what they think of Easton? One said it is a "wanna be Sharon but it is actually more on par with Stoughton. Don't tell people who live there that though, they have a sincere level of snobbery in Easton." To which a couple other guys laughed. One chimed in saying his sister in law moved out of Easton last year. Said the schools were disappointing and in need of updating. Said there is a major drug epidemic, reaching as far as young grade likes 5th graders. He said the nail in the coffin for his SIL was battling the traffic due to the Target plaza. Said its only gotten worse because there is no direct highway in Easton. I thought that wasn't true? But he said you need to travel to Norton, Bridgewater, Mansfield/Foxboro, or Brockton to get to a highway. I guess the new stores have made traffic worse. Back to the question at hand. I asked if they thought it was the new Brockton? They said yes. All but one. The older guy I work with said "No way, Easton is nice" and then the buddies I work with were quick to correct him and cited some of the things mentioned in this thread like drugs, crime, gangs. I don't know how true any of this. I am going based on what others tell me. I was shocked when they said this as Easton was always a nice town IMHO. But if the schools are failing (2 people chimed in when my buddy said his SIL was disappointed with schools, they agree they heard same thing), drugs are a problem, there is increasing crime, and possible gangs? Then yea I would guess it could be the new Brockton? But in all fairness I feel as though every person I meet in southeastern MA says drugs and drug related crimes at a huge problem. So I don't think it is just Easton. Probably all the nicer towns in the area being affected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts