Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 01:13 AM

2 posts, read 25,472 times

Advertisements

I may have a job offer that requires me to move from California to Massachusetts. This is one option and the other is Florida. I don't think that Florida has convinced me to move away from CA. I'd like to get some insight on Mass. I went there for my sisters graduation and thought it was beautiful. I'm married with 3 kids and am looking to see if making this move is the right thing to do.

I love California and all it has to offer. But, I know what is important and what is not. What are the schools like? Traffic? Housing? Gas? What kind of life is it, fast or slow (Im assuming I may be near Boston). I love the idea of four seasons. It seems that compared to CA, you've got a lot of big major cities within a few hours reach. We've never been to the east coast. We are a family of doing things outdoors and don't know how gnarly the winters are there. We can't be couped up for 3 or 4 months. Just want to get an idea of what Mass. is all about. Please help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 01:56 AM

2,257 posts, read 8,172,843 times
I was born and raised in Massachusetts, but have been studying in California for the past three years, so I have an idea of the differences between the two areas.

Public schools in MA are, overall, among the best in the nation. Of course it varies a lot from town to town, but in general the education system in Massachusetts is miles ahead of the education system in California. There are also a lot of great private schools, if you can afford it. At any rate, you should do some research into the specific school districts where you might be settling.

I'm not sure what part of CA you're from, but the traffic in Boston doesn't compare to the traffic in LA. Granted, the traffic can be rough at times, and Boston is a notoriously difficult city to drive in, but the public transportation is excellent. You can easily commute by train to downtown Boston from pretty much anywhere in the metro area. Gas prices aren't wildly different, although they should be a bit cheaper than prices in CA because the overall taxes are a bit less.

Housing costs are probably the biggest issue for people looking to move to New England, although depending on what part of CA you're from, they could be dramatically less. I think you'll find that you'll get much more space (both indoors and outdoors) for your money than you would get for the same amount in most California cities. Still, real estate prices are pretty ridiculous at the moment.

One of the best things about New England is that you have urban life, small town living, and wilderness all within short reach. Boston is very lively city, still strongly hanging on to that Puritan work ethic, although compared to larger cities like NYC, the space is much slower and people are more laid back, in my opinion. The core of Boston is actually relatively small, but is surrounded by a lot of old and beautiful suburban towns. The inner suburbs (within the circle formed by I-95) are denser and busier, while the outer suburbs (within I-495) are quietier and often more upscale. Beyond 495, the landscape becomes increasingly rural. Your typical New England village is sleepy and slow-paced... worlds away from downtown Boston.

New England winters do tend to drag on, and by March most people are sick of it, but it just makes the arrival of Spring all the more precious and wonderful. Personally, I'd take the four seasons of New England over California weather any day. Each one is beautiful in its own way, and you learn to appreciate them for what they have to offer - yes, even winter. And, to be fair, the winters in MA have been somewhat milder in recent years... that's global warming for you, I guess.

To avoid cabin fever, I would recommend taking up skiing (downhill or cross-country), or maybe you'd even enjoy snowmobiling. You can be up to the mountains of northern NH in an easy 2 hours for some intense skiing, but there are also ski slopes in MA, and plenty of outdoor opportunities all around. New England is definitely a good place for lovers of the outdoors.

Anyway, I hope that helps answer some of your questions. New England isn't perfect for everyone, but at the least it's a very, very different place from California, so it might be worth looking into.

Old 02-24-2008, 05:12 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,023,360 times
Just to add to Verseau

One of the biggest adjustments Californians have coming to New England will be the climate. New England has many micro climates as California- so the idea that 'one size fits all here' is a misconception.

Winters are not nearly as bad as Chicago, Cleveland, or most of the Midwest. People from California think we have 6 months of winter here. There are variations on climate here as in California. Generally northern New England has the traditional longer winter with lots of snow (but this is changing due to global warming) Winters even in Vermont, New Hampshire & inland Maine are now less intense.

Southern New England (Connecticut, Eastern & and Southern Mass and Rhode Island will be milder- with coastal locations in southern New England the mildest. Temperatures in southern New England & Boston seldom drop below zero these days in most areas. Average daytime high in late January, the coldest part of the year is 37 degrees in most of Connecticut and eastern Mass. Night time low about 19. Some days will be colder, some milder. It is not uncommon to see a thaw in winter with temperatures in the 40s and 50s.

Average snowfall in Providence and New London & New Haven CT averages 25" a year, while in Central New Hampshire & Vermont it is over 70". The nearby Atlantic does moderate the climate here.

The Boston area will have the mildest climate (winter & Summer) on the south shore to Cape Cod, and the north Shore to Cape Ann. Areas west of Boston will see more snow then areas near the coast.

Winters in southern New England begin around mid December- with the coldest weather in January to mid February. By this time of the year (Present) The elevating sun and longer period of light allow for temperatures to slowly moderate. March can start cold, with snow and end mild with temps reaching the 70s sometimes. Springs however are late coming in New England due to the chilled waters of the nearby Atlantic. April can bring pleasant sunny days with temps in the 50s and 60s- but also days of chill and the upper 40s with rain and clouds. An example of how the Atlantic influences the weather here; here in eastern CT in late April it may be sunny and 70 degrees, and the same for Worcester (west of Boston) but in the 'hub' itself it may be overcast and 20 degrees cooler!

Flowers nonetheless bloom in April. May is sublime in most areas a few miles away from the ocean- with pleasant balmy weather- sometimes reaching the 80s. Trees leaf out totally in southern New England by mid May these days. June sees warmer conditions still, with days time highs just over 80, though a heat wave can be expected after mid month, with highs into the 90s, sometimes with high humidity. Coastal locations if there is an onshore breeze will be cooler.

July is the hottest month in all the 6 state region. Southern New England and the Boston area included may see several heat waves with days in the 90s with unpleasant humidity, and muggy warm nights. This will be interrupted by a cool front emanating from the north/west; Canada; or we may have the famous and refreshing 'back door cool front' from the gulf of Maine, which can drape over most of New England bringing pleasant summer conditions for a short time while the rest of the east coast swelters.

A few days each summer may reach close to 100. The first half of August can be hot- but after mid month the declining sun lessens the felt heat. New England from mid August to nearly early December is the most pleasant time of the year. Temperatures begin very warm, with the weather of late summer to nearly the onset of winter easily called sublime.

There is a transition gradually from warm temperatures in the low 80s in September, to low 70s in early October, to 60s and 50s into November. Sunny balmy weather reaching 60- 65 degrees can extend well into mid November. Perfect for outdoor activity. The still warm water of the nearby ocean prolongs Autumn. Having the opposite effect in the spring.

Generally; due to climate change, the following can be said of the weather here now. Winters are milder, summers longer & hotter and there are earlier springs then 30 years ago. Precipitation has also increased 20% over the region as well annually.
Thus far in eastern Connecticut the winter has been again relatively mild- snow fall about 25" thus far- while temperatures have been above normal. We had a period of snowy weather in mid to late December here- which melted after New Years, and till yesterday a period of 6 weeks with no snow cover.

Last edited by skytrekker; 02-24-2008 at 05:52 AM..

Old 02-24-2008, 06:36 AM

630 posts, read 2,226,877 times
ahenao16 - I moved from CA to MA in Oct '07', I was born and raised (47 yrs) in LA County and I have lived in OC and RC. To be honest the weather hasn't been a real issue for me, but I don't keep my place at 70 degrees either. I've adjusted well, by keeping the heat set at 59 degrees, and the cold outside doesn't vary much. So once I got use to it I'm fine, I now only wear a sweater out when it's in the 20's- 30's, but I do make sure I carry a heavy coat in my vehicle just in case.

Schools - well my kids are all grown up and went to schools in CA. Boy to I feel bad about that now. The schools here, at least locally to where I live, are great schools. I understand that MA has some of the best schools. So your children should do well here. There are some major colleges here and I believe their opportunity to attend one of them would increase.

Traffic does not compare to what I'm use to in CA, I drove from RC to LAX and that was heavy traffic, what would be called heavy here would be mild in CA.

The cost of living is interesting - I rent a 2bdr/2bth 1138 sq ft. apartment in Bedford (is called expensive here). In CA would be lucky to get a 1bdr/1bth for that or out further maybe a 2bdr/bth for the same $$$ but less sq footage.

What is more expensive is the electricity and gas. What I'm paying for my apartment (which is new and energy efficient) I was spending on a 4 bdr house in CA. I've heard that people with homes pay on gas alone anywhere between $200 - $500 a month. It depends on the thermostat settings as well as how well the home is insulated or not.

Food costs - now that is interesting as well. I had 2 lemon trees and two orange trees in my yard. Here I would have to pay almost $2.00 for two small lemons, when in CA they were the size of small grapefruit and free.

State Taxes are a flat 5.3%, there is no tax on clothing up to $150 then over that it's minor compared to CA. You could just make multiple purchases so there is no tax. Grocery stores are different, you are probably use to Von's, Ralph's, Stater Bros. and here they are Stop-n-Shop, Shaw's, Market Basket and Roch Bros. They don't sell alcohol (including wine) in the stores, that is only sold in liquor stores.

There are differences, but as a former Californian, I love it here. I thought I would be afraid to drive in the snow, you know in CA as soon as it snows anywhere everyone is required to have chains. I haven't seen anyone here use chains, including me, and I haven't had any trouble getting around. I live out in the suburbs, about 20 miles out of Boston, and I love it. Not like being 20 miles out of LA, that is still city and highly congested. Here there are trees, woods and it's beautiful to see the snow fall and then the next day have the sun shining off the snow. To get, in CA, what I have here in MA I would have to live in Running Springs or somewhere similar and the drive to work would be awful. Here I have have the most gorgeous views and I'm only 15 min. from work.

I Love it in MA and all of it's differences.

Best Wishes to you and your family on your relocation - where ever that may be.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:51 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,203,428 times
I too just moved from Southern Ca. in November to Concord, Ma. This is my second move here. There is no reason if you and your family are outdoorsy that you would be home bound during the winter with all of the activities and ski clubs for kids. We have a ski resort in Westford that is only about 15 minutes from us. I have a teen in high school that loves it here so much more than his home state which is CA. He has made a ton of friends which are very social without much of the pretension that So. Ca. had where we lived. Everyday you wake up to something new, never knowing what the weather or day will bring. I don't miss CA. at all and never want to live there again. The people here have so much heart...so accommodating and helpful. What you see is what you get. No time wasted trying to figure out what people's angles may be..there aren't any. There are two train stations here in Concord that let off at the North Station if you are commuting to the city. Many choices of towns with great schools...just do your research. How old are your kids by the way?

Old 02-25-2008, 09:58 AM

2 posts, read 25,472 times
They are 1, 4 & 9.5. The other question would be, what cities would I be looking at near Boston. I will be working there, but I don't have to necessarily move there. I live in a city called Downey (LA county) and have always had no problem commuting. Right now my commute is 30min no traffic.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:59 AM

6 posts, read 41,283 times
Default An Objective Opinion

Just wanted to give you an objective opinion on the potential move. You're likely to get some very slanted views on Massachusetts from many of the posters. I'm going to assume you'll live and work in the greater Boston area. Let me address some of your concerns point-by-point:

1) Four seasons - first thing upon arrival - find a good orthopedic surgeon. Winters are a pain in the a**, literally and figuratively. Oh look! Pretty snowflakes!! Oh look! Ruptured L2 disc! Oh look! What an awesome mountain, covered with snow! Oh look! A compound fracture of the left femur requiring two rods, 16 screws and traction! Using my patented "Residential Areas and Activities to Food Scale Comparison (RAFSC)" method, the allure of four seasons is a baloney sandwich with a glass of tap water.
2) Schools - Quite honestly, some damn fine schools out this way. Again, using the RAFSC scale, schools are a grilled ribeye steak with roasted asparagus and a glass of good Cabernet.
3) Traffic - Oh Good Gawd. It'd be one thing if traffic was just bad. But having bad traffic with maniacal lunatics all around you (this includes the old ladies - they're the meanest) is downright depressing. MA drivers hate everybody. RAFSC scale -- can of Chef-Boy-Ardee Spaghettio's reheated in microwave with a tumbler of orange Kool-Aid.
4) Housing - expensive but lots of great neighborhoods, cities and towns. Of course, the closer to the city the more $$$. You can still find decent housing in a nice town not too far away from the action. RAFSC scale - fish and chips with homemade tartar sauce and a pint of Bass ale.
5) Gas - as of this writing, $3 a gallon. Probably pretty good for someone from CA, but we whine incessantly about it. RAFSC Scale (CA) - Beef Wellington with wild mushroom risotto and a glass of a Bordeuax blend. RAFSC Scale (MA) - Fried chicken with a diet Coke.
6) Outdoors - lots of choices. Parks, activities, mountains of New Hampshire, etc. You won't be bored. RAFSC Scale - Chilean sea bass, grilled seasonal vegetables, glass of Cakebread Chardonnay.

Best of luck! I'm off to lunch (and since I filled the gas tank before coming to work - you guessed it - fried chicken and diet coke).

Old 02-25-2008, 10:35 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,203,428 times
I know Downey and with that in mind, you should love it here. As far as where in Boston, too many to list without knowing your price range, what you are looking for in a town besides the usual good schools, single family,townhome,multi-family home,etc. Even areas near the city are still very suburban like with parks, walking villages, ponds/lakes,shopping. Please list more details that are the most important to you and your family besides good schools and I would also look at past posts because it is possible that your questions could be answered there.

Old 09-25-2018, 07:57 PM

5 posts, read 5,494 times
I know this is an old post - the original poster has probably long since moved...in case this is helpful to anyone else...

Our family of four made the move from the SF Bay Area to Sudbury, MA in 2017. Here are my major take aways:

The winter? Not bad at all! It was sunny, even if cold. Quite pleasant! The heater going on and waking me up throughout the night? Not cool. And having to hoard humidifiers in every room so as to not get bloody noses from the dryness - painful and annoying. Overall tho, it wasn’t as bad I was bracing for it to be. I did have some insane moments of feeling trapped inside with a 2 and 4 year old.

But spring? Oh lord! The humidity! The walls sweat. Now I’m having to find a place to store all the DEhumidifiers. It’s a whole new chore - to empty them multiple times a day. I am an athlete that now gets winded walking across the room. I’m sure the air quality includes copious amount of mold, even outside. It’s so swampy.

Summer is just silly. It’s like spring to a higher factor of mold. I went outside twice. It was unpleasant.

Fall is gorgeous. I’m homesick for the first time because it is closest in daylight hours and temperature to California. California has this fantastic weather all the time.

The culture here is nicer. A stranger helped me move something I was struggling to get in my car. I was in a parking lot at a shopping center. He had to travel 15 minutes to my house. And I trusted him. This behavior in Ca would have sent off red flags, but here it seemed normal. Delightful that people are allowed and accepted for being kind.

Two lane highways suck. Drivers are dangerous. Because everything is two lanes near me with very few stop lights, I never spend time waiting at red lights, but I can get trapped behind drivers going waaaaaay below the speed limit. Enraging! You can’t pass them and everything is so spread out, you might have to drive behind them for 15 or more miles!

The medical care is so much better. Also more expensive.

We could afford so, so much more house here. But then we’d be stuck inside it. I literally just went to an open house that was my dream home, that we could afford. Brand new!!!. But I miss being outside. I miss the Mediterranean climate. I don’t like that I have to compete so much in CA for space everywhere. I’m an artist. I’m sensitive The hardcore-ness of the weather changes is a lot for my body. All things considered, after two years here, we’re going back to CA to live in a tiny house somewhere near the ocean where we can leave our windows open and interact more with the outside.

Old 09-26-2018, 07:26 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgipson View Post
We could afford so, so much more house here. But then we’d be stuck inside it. I literally just went to an open house that was my dream home, that we could afford. Brand new!!!. But I miss being outside. I miss the Mediterranean climate. I don’t like that I have to compete so much in CA for space everywhere. I’m an artist. I’m sensitive The hardcore-ness of the weather changes is a lot for my body. All things considered, after two years here, we’re going back to CA to live in a tiny house somewhere near the ocean where we can leave our windows open and interact more with the outside.
Perhaps it's because I'm a born and raised local. However, I've never understood why some transplants say you can't go outside or that there are no outdoor activities to be had in the winter. My family is outside all the time in the winter. My kids love playing in the snow. I don't personally ski. However, many of my friends love it. Some people I know do things like cross country ski, snow shoe, etc. as well. At some ski mountains they have tubing for folks like me as well. There are tons of outdoor activities to be had in the winter. You just need to wear a jacket. Personally, I don't think there's anything more beautiful than the site I see when looking out my window after a fresh snowfall.

I can't say I've lived all over the country. However, I did live for a bit in South Florida and the summers there are so sweltering hot that I would never go outside. CA may be more temperate than that. However, CA has mudslides, earthquakes, and wildfires. There's trade offs no matter where you live. Personally, I'm happy to wear a coat outside for part of the year and to have my kids miss a few days of school during the winter to enjoy many of the other benefits that come along with living in New England. It's not for everyone though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts