Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 01:18 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,723,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamanderSmile View Post
We moved to Cincinnati which elicits gasps of horror on the Boston forum. Other than the ocean we want for very little. We have all of the same cultural amenities available to us but we can actually DO THEM which we couldn't in Boston. Cincinnati also has (due to the numerous fortune 500 companies here) philanthropic money falling from the skies, so the art/music scene is (and has been forever) very very vibrant for a city it's size. Which is important to us. Also the parks and public spaces are truly amazing.

Additionally we have (due to being on the western edge of EST) an extra hour of daylight over Boston which has made a huge difference in my husband's/son's quality of life. They have (at least)an extra hour of outside time for playing, mowing, raking, hanging out and that is 5 hours a week minimum. In the summer it doesn't get dark until 930. That is really significant to working parents. The weather is also milder in the winter which makes the outdoors more use-able year-round.

The schools around Cincinnati are comparable to those of greater Boston(although fewer) and CPS has a latin magnet that rivals Boston Latin in national rankings.

We live in an inner-ring 1920s new-urbanist village where the kids walk to school and the ice cream shop is open until 10.

Cincinnati is a little Austin-esque in that it is a blue city in the middle of a red state but I look at it as at least my vote will count here.
I have not spent a lot of time there, but I do like Cincinnati. It reminded me of St. Louis, which I like very much. Years ago, we had hoped to move to Chicago, but if not Chicago, then one of the other midwestern cities - St. Louis, Minneapolis, Cinci, or Cleveland. Unfortunately, we didn't find jobs in any of those cities.

The big problem I see with Cincinnati, as well as with some other cities is that with airline deregulation, it has been significantly harmed. Large airlines don't fly real planes with nonstop service to other large cities, and this has been a big disincentive to businesses locating there. K.C. and St. Louis suffer significantly from this problem, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 02:33 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,737,232 times
When I lived in Columbus OH, Cincinnati was my favorite city in OH. They had many fine clubs and restaurants for a city its size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts