Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 07:29 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,797,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
So the million dollar question is will employers keep screening for pot in their drug tests in the bluest state in the USA ...

Colorado is only marginally blue so I wonder how that is panning out as far as employment (not counting people who are running actual heavy equipment). A lot of companies (other than hard labor jobs) have staunch policies on this stuff.
Of course they will. Trucking companies will continue to do random drug and alcohol screenings. I would also imagine other industries will continue to screen for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2016, 08:41 AM

3,207 posts, read 2,113,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Of course they will. Trucking companies will continue to do random drug and alcohol screenings. I would also imagine other industries will continue to screen for it.
Sad because on the spectrum, it is one of the less severe substances. IMO Alcohol being one of the worst. And It is the easiest to get pinched for. Stores in fat cells and could take months to leave your system.

Old 10-28-2016, 10:07 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,805,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
Sad because on the spectrum, it is one of the less severe substances. IMO Alcohol being one of the worst. And It is the easiest to get pinched for. Stores in fat cells and could take months to leave your system.
Until the day a test is invented which can differentiate between someone smoking in the past few hours vs a month ago or last weekend at home, drug tests are absolutely justified and should remain mandatory. Fortunately alcohol is much easier to detect.

Old 10-28-2016, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
It's still impaired driving. Doesn't matter if you're drunk or high. You're still getting behind the wheel and are impaired.

Old 10-29-2016, 04:47 AM

3,207 posts, read 2,113,433 times
agree. but alcohol is detected while inebriated. marijuana can be detected weeks after consumption.

Old 10-29-2016, 11:52 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,218,598 times
Quote:
It's still impaired driving. Doesn't matter if you're drunk or high. You're still getting behind the wheel and are impaired.
That's just scientifically wrong. If you have thc in your body because you smoked 2 weeks ago, are you really saying that you are still impaired 2 weeks later? Inactive metabolites do not impair. Inactive means that they are no longer causing any ill effect on the physiology.

Old 10-29-2016, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
That's just scientifically wrong. If you have thc in your body because you smoked 2 weeks ago, are you really saying that you are still impaired 2 weeks later? Inactive metabolites do not impair. Inactive means that they are no longer causing any ill effect on the physiology.
No, I am not saying you're impaired 2 weeks later. I am saying someone who just smoked a joint and gets behind the wheel is driving impaired.

Old 10-29-2016, 09:24 PM

52 posts, read 40,632 times
Very much hoping this passes. Never was a fan of it myself but believe that adults who want to partake in something relatively harmless in the privacy of their own homes should be able to.

Also I haven't seen anything to convince me that legalizing it will lead to an increase in usage. Right now, with it not being legal, it's still absolutely everywhere. The people who enjoy it smoke it now and will continue to do so if it's legal. The people who don't care for it will continue to abstain if it becomes legal. Are there people out there now who wish they could smoke weed but don't because of its legal status? Because that would be the only way we'd see an increase in usage. I actually wouldn't be surprised if marijuana use dropped slightly among teens, due to the 21 year age restriction. When I was in high school weed was easier to get than alcohol.

Old 10-30-2016, 08:34 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,646,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelots View Post
Very much hoping this passes. Never was a fan of it myself but believe that adults who want to partake in something relatively harmless in the privacy of their own homes should be able to.

Also I haven't seen anything to convince me that legalizing it will lead to an increase in usage. Right now, with it not being legal, it's still absolutely everywhere. The people who enjoy it smoke it now and will continue to do so if it's legal. The people who don't care for it will continue to abstain if it becomes legal. Are there people out there now who wish they could smoke weed but don't because of its legal status? Because that would be the only way we'd see an increase in usage. I actually wouldn't be surprised if marijuana use dropped slightly among teens, due to the 21 year age restriction. When I was in high school weed was easier to get than alcohol.
Welcome to the whole war on drugs, a waste of money and time. Of course the government, police and prison system love it because they think it means job security. Nothing like the government telling you your 9 years old and their are your parent.

Old 10-31-2016, 01:54 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,109,847 times
Quote:
No, I am not saying you're impaired 2 weeks later. I am saying someone who just smoked a joint and gets behind the wheel is driving impaired.
Problem is no such test exists for that, that is the crux of the issue. Fortunatly law enforcement are going to be up agaisnt the wall to prove imparement and thus create the test. Once that test exists the old pot test will likely legally go away to prevent unlawful terminations and economic hardship for people that are using a LEGAL substance.

I think states should be compelling companies to develop tests and outlaw the old tests the day it becomes legal in a state but they wont because they are partially controled by big buisness and big buisness would scream bloody murder if they were compelled to either not test for it or all get together and create a new test.

If I am doing a LEGAL substance and I am NOT impared I should have a right to medical privacy, it smacks of the company store for a company to be able to know intimate medical details about you which is what pot in your system 2 weeks later is. I feel like we as the peasentry have to fight for our rights all over again. Companies should be on a tight lease when it comes to medical testing for ONLY illicit substances that cause imparment and only look back so far as to what is medically proven to be the period of imparment. Anything else should fall under medical privacy.

IF the test does not exist, it should be too bad so sad for the employer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts