Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 04:06 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,822,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
They already do.

Hell, when I was in construction, a lot of the guys building your homes and apartments were on stuff far worse than weed...sometimes while working.
I had friends in MA that did construction and electrical work and they would all drink at least a 12 pack of bud light on the job each day if not a 30 pack. And a lot of them were doing coke to balance it out. I live and work in CA now and I have to go up into drop ceilings at work all the time and I still find empty beer cans up there left from building construction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2016, 04:46 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,017,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
No. As of 12/15/16, one can purchase, possess, and use up to 1 oz. of marijuana. You can also cultivate up to 12 plants for personal use. But no licenses allowing sale will be available until 1/1/2018. So legally you cannot buy marijuana in the state until those licenses are issued and retail stores are allowed to open.
Well this makes sense since they need a little time to get the retail businesses working properly

Old 11-11-2016, 04:54 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,422,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
I am hoping it becomes federally legal and it is legally prohibited from being tested for for employment purposes (other than maybe the breathalyzer type that is a very limited look back period).
It will be a LONG time before it's Federally legal, also will be a nightmare for employment reasons as it doesn't run its course and leave the system like alcohol does. Then theirs people like me who drive trucks and because a CDL is a Federally controlled license, I test positive my career is over. Makes no difference what the state says.

Old 11-12-2016, 06:48 AM

23,549 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Also with the proliferation of simplified living and living at home people are not going to have to grovel for a job, they can go smoke a marajuana cigerette hang out with mom and dad and live on savings or in a tiny home.

You say more people will smoke marijuana, when one of the leading arguments FOR legalization was that people will smoke no more or less and that they will do whatever anyway (as some claim happened in Colorado). Which is it, I'm confused?

Regardless of the law, companies will still need to compete on a global level. And regardless of the law, many folks do not feel the need to get high in order to be content with life. Well run companies will place a higher value on these generally more productive employees than your above example of overgrown children staying in Mom and Dad's basement and who's life revolves around a PS4 and bag of weed.

Of course the word will always have a place for "lowest common denominator" businesses, and it's possible they may change their ways (if they haven't already) in that regard.

Old 11-12-2016, 07:00 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
I had friends in MA that did construction and electrical work and they would all drink at least a 12 pack of bud light on the job each day if not a 30 pack. And a lot of them were doing coke to balance it out. I live and work in CA now and I have to go up into drop ceilings at work all the time and I still find empty beer cans up there left from building construction
I believe it. i always say I left the trades due to beating up my body, but I sure don't miss the excessive drug/alcohol abuse I saw on the job.

Old 11-12-2016, 05:46 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,525,302 times
Its' over Marijuana won -- if you don't like pot don't smoke it.

The Boston Diocese wasted $850,000 on telling us how to live while we pay their property tax. Certainly the money could have gone to hungry children or the children they had sex with.

Old 11-13-2016, 02:54 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,114,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
You say more people will smoke marijuana, when one of the leading arguments FOR legalization was that people will smoke no more or less and that they will do whatever anyway (as some claim happened in Colorado). Which is it, I'm confused?

Regardless of the law, companies will still need to compete on a global level. And regardless of the law, many folks do not feel the need to get high in order to be content with life. Well run companies will place a higher value on these generally more productive employees than your above example of overgrown children staying in Mom and Dad's basement and who's life revolves around a PS4 and bag of weed.

Of course the word will always have a place for "lowest common denominator" businesses, and it's possible they may change their ways (if they haven't already) in that regard.
Alot of people who smoke are not idiots, alot are high functioning highly intellegent people. The only reason they might be reduced to a lowest common denominator is because of zero tolerance polices and federal law. Once its no longer federally illegal and companies are no longer able to run simple cheap tests for employment purposes (but rather only legally be able to run tests that look back 24 hours) then there will be BIG changes.

I get it not wanting someone high operating a crane, but using the existing tests is lazy on the part of employers it just proves you smoked it 2 months ago not that you are actually impared on the job.

The proliferation of legalization will compel more robust testing that actually proves imparment not just welp its in your system so your fired huck huck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts