Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 12:45 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
Interesting, so rents are lower in Somerville? I was referring to purchasing - the price per square foot in Somerville is definitely higher than Arlington or Belmont.
There is a lower end.

There is also a higher end.

Not everything is Davis Sq and Porter Sq. And I didn't see anything about the OP purchasing. I would hope if they are moving they are renting first.

But if they are buying first and Somerville is more or as expensive, than even more the reason to look to Arlington / Belmont, as much as Somerville is a nice place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 12:52 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
Interesting, so rents are lower in Somerville?

Not all of Somerville is a gentrified community with remodeled apts pulling in $2.5-3K+/month. Somerville used to be lovingly referred to as "slummerville" for a reason. Thing have changed in the last 20 years, but there are still pockets of lower rents away from the gentrified areas.

Old 10-25-2016, 02:47 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,805,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Not all of Somerville is a gentrified community with remodeled apts pulling in $2.5-3K+/month. Somerville used to be lovingly referred to as "slummerville" for a reason. Thing have changed in the last 20 years, but there are still pockets of lower rents away from the gentrified areas.
Absolutely, even in the fabled west somerville he refers to. I live there and my neighbors house looks like it is about to fall down.

I looked in Arlington first before I bought and would have much rather bought there. I was priced out though, oh well.

Old 10-25-2016, 03:34 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,331,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
WHere? How much do you think a 2 bedroom apartment in East Somerville costs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
Absolutely, even in the fabled west somerville he refers to. I live there and my neighbors house looks like it is about to fall down.

I looked in Arlington first before I bought and would have much rather bought there. I was priced out though, oh well.
Ha! Maybe back when you bought that was the case. So sell it now if you are so miserable here - there will be bidding wars to take it off your hands and now you can upgrade to Arlington.

Old 10-25-2016, 03:58 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,805,557 times
Quote:

Ha! Maybe back when you bought that was the case. So sell it now if you are so miserable here - there will be bidding wars to take it off your hands and now you can upgrade to Arlington.
Nah too much of an income stream from the $4 donut crowd I rent to in my other unit. I only pay for taxes and utilities thanks to them, and I'd have a bidding war in Arlington to contend with.

But if I ever have kids (especially highschool aged) I'll reconsider.

Last edited by wolfgang239; 10-25-2016 at 04:09 PM..

Old 10-25-2016, 04:13 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
WHere? How much do you think a 2 bedroom apartment in East Somerville costs?
My landlord refurbished the place downstairs (2 bed, mine is one bed on top floor) from me (new carpet, appliances, etc) and rented it for $1650 a few months back.

I have a couple of other friends that rented places (2 bedrooms) in the past year for $1600 and 1800 in the Union Sq neighborhood over the last year.

Of course, a bunch of people have legacy deals as well, but those are recent rentals.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:54 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,331,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
But if I ever have kids (especially highschool aged) I'll reconsider.
I said that too before being a parent, but now that I am one I've done a 180. And by the time your kids are high school aged your only valid reason to move to the suburbs would be to get them away from $4 donuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts