Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 09:27 AM

27 posts, read 39,319 times

Advertisements

Hello - I am still researching different towns and schools. Can anyone shed some light on Natick as a town, Natick diversity stats, and elementary schools? How is the diversity in both schools and the town in general? Also, I read about "global child" in elementary schools where kids can take spanish or french (based on student sign up). Does anyone have any information on this and how it works (is it lottery based? 1 day a week, ect)?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2016, 12:06 PM

can anyone help me out with this one?

Old 11-09-2016, 01:05 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,052,273 times
If you're ever wondering about diversity of ethnicity or diversity of income, City-Data has all the stats from the census. These numbers are about 6 years old now, but it's doubtful that there's been a massive population shift in that short of a time. Here's Natick's page:

https://www.city-data.com/city/Natick-Massachusetts.html

The town is about 85% Caucasian which is a bit more diverse than many other area towns which are 90%+. Natick also has a vast diversity of housing (everything from small condos to large estates to everything in between) and a diversity of incomes.

Personally, I think it's a lovely place to live. Definitely plenty of shops & restaurants in town and a great town center where they have concerts and other activities on the green in the summer. The people of the town are clearly dedicated to education because they just built a new high school a couple of years ago and Natick always ranks pretty well when you look at lists put out in the area.

I'm not terribly familiar with the "Global Child" program you mentioned. Here's a link to a flier put out by the school system about it. There seems to be contact information on there for people who have questions:

http://www.natickps.org/Lilja/Documents/Natick.pdf

Old 11-09-2016, 03:49 PM

1,199 posts, read 640,200 times
By the time you're done researching the quality and diversity of every top school district in Massachusetts, your hypothetical children will be ready to graduate from their hypothetical Ivy League universities.

Old 11-09-2016, 07:58 PM

279 posts, read 317,977 times
My wife and I chose Natick, and moved here a few month ago. We're very much enjoying it. The excellent schools are a plus. Natick is central to everything my family needs.

Old 11-10-2016, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
If you're ever wondering about diversity of ethnicity or diversity of income, City-Data has all the stats from the census. These numbers are about 6 years old now, but it's doubtful that there's been a massive population shift in that short of a time. Here's Natick's page:

https://www.city-data.com/city/Natick-Massachusetts.html

The town is about 85% Caucasian which is a bit more diverse than many other area towns which are 90%+. Natick also has a vast diversity of housing (everything from small condos to large estates to everything in between) and a diversity of incomes.

Personally, I think it's a lovely place to live. Definitely plenty of shops & restaurants in town and a great town center where they have concerts and other activities on the green in the summer. The people of the town are clearly dedicated to education because they just built a new high school a couple of years ago and Natick always ranks pretty well when you look at lists put out in the area.

I'm not terribly familiar with the "Global Child" program you mentioned. Here's a link to a flier put out by the school system about it. There seems to be contact information on there for people who have questions:

http://www.natickps.org/Lilja/Documents/Natick.pdf
This is great information, thank you!

Old 11-10-2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial Observer View Post
By the time you're done researching the quality and diversity of every top school district in Massachusetts, your hypothetical children will be ready to graduate from their hypothetical Ivy League universities.
I am blessed to have 2 sets of "hypothetical" twin children, they are all 4 and under, so we have time before they start public schools. I noticed you have a lot of sarcastic toned responses - just remember that you could be responding to someone who is going through a very tough or troubling time in life, or someone who came from nothing, and wants something better for their kids. If you can respond nicely, great, otherwise just keep it to yourself.

Old 11-10-2016, 04:42 PM

1,199 posts, read 640,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCABOS View Post
I am blessed to have 2 sets of "hypothetical" twin children, they are all 4 and under, so we have time before they start public schools. I noticed you have a lot of sarcastic toned responses - just remember that you could be responding to someone who is going through a very tough or troubling time in life, or someone who came from nothing, and wants something better for their kids. If you can respond nicely, great, otherwise just keep it to yourself.
I'm someone who came from nothing, and I'm going through a very tough and troubling time. It's cathartic for me to channel that frustration by responding with sarcasm whenever I see repetitive posts seeking publicly available diversity stats.

If you can't handle facetious responses from bitter people, then you really don't belong on an anonymous public forum. The broad range of attitudes makes the Internet more diverse, so I would think you'd welcome the saltier contributions.

Old 11-10-2016, 06:59 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,052,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCABOS View Post
You have four kids under the age of four? How is it that you are still awake? I thought I had it tough with three kids (6, 2, & 1) but I guess someone always has it worse.

Old 11-11-2016, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
You have four kids under the age of four? How is it that you are still awake? I thought I had it tough with three kids (6, 2, & 1) but I guess someone always has it worse.
I wouldn't exactly call my situation "worse" - I feel truly blessed for my children
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts