Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 09:18 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,693,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
I recently switched jobs from a job in the city to one in the industrial 128 belt.
I will tell you first hand that all of my options commuting in to my city job were far more enjoyable than the rt to 128 misery i face each day.

In fact the whole lifestyle is really getting to me.

Sit in a car for an hour to drive 15 miles to an office park.
Step out for a breath of air and there is nothing but rows of offices and cars. So sitting in a chair for 10 hours becomes the norm.
Then you get to sit in another chair ( on wheels) to fight gridlock traffic which starts at 2pm to get home and scramble to get dinner made, because the only viable nutrition you've had all day was brought by you, or a pick of any fast food type sub joint you can imagine.

Yeah.

Im not too cool or trendy anymore...but believe me. these zany kids may be on to something.
128 is miserable. I know because I did it myself for a few years. The thing is you have more control over things when you're driving vs being beholden to the commuter rail schedule and possibly the T, given how unreliable they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2016, 09:20 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Because it's the trendy thing to do at the moment. When they notice that their employees are struggling to get to work on time they may regret their decision.
Sure, that's it, right.

Old 11-04-2016, 09:24 AM

3,207 posts, read 2,114,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
So why are they moving there? They like paying more for office space?

Yup, I have some friends in Somerville and Cambridge that work in office parks in Framingham, Westboro, and Lexington, they've had to get cars and LOATHE their commutes now. Few thought the increased pay has been worth the expense and aggravation.
Nope!
Not for me anyways.

Old 11-04-2016, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Sure, that's it, right.
128 got built up with office parks when employees moved to the suburbs. Right now there is a trend towards living in the city again. Eventually many of these people will wind up in the suburbs. It's cyclical.

Old 11-04-2016, 09:28 AM

We don't know if it is cyclical since the suburbs are such a recent thing (post WW2), where urban living is a many many century thing.

Old 11-04-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
128 is miserable. I know because I did it myself for a few years. The thing is you have more control over things when you're driving vs being beholden to the commuter rail schedule and possibly the T, given how unreliable they are.
haha right.
i was a 30 min bike ride to work every day. The times I didnt feel like doing that I had my choice of 3 bus routes, orange line, or a $11 Uber ride to the office.
Despite the constant doom the media likes to point at the MBTA (it does have its faults) but i have found it to be far more reliable than 128 and especially in non ideal weather (despite the snowmagedon stuff the news had a field day with)

Old 11-04-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:
haha right.
i was a 30 min bike ride to work every day. The times I didnt feel like doing that I had my choice of 3 bus routes, orange line, or a $11 Uber ride to the office.
Despite the constant doom the media likes to point at the MBTA (it does have its faults) but i have found it to be far more reliable than 128 and especially in non ideal weather (despite the snowmagedon stuff the news had a field day with)
Well when you're biking to work every day of course the T looks reliable. Try taking it during rush hour every day and your opinion may change.

Old 11-04-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Well when you're biking to work every day of course the T looks reliable. Try taking it during rush hour every day and your opinion may change.
I did for 2 years.
Plus another point is that if indeed the T or whatever route home was backed up at least in the city you can go sit and have a decent meal or a beer , or even just do your grocery shopping and wait it out.
Beats sitting in your car in an office park listening to an audio book doesn't it?

Old 11-04-2016, 09:42 AM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Quote:
I recently switched jobs from a job in the city to one in the industrial 128 belt.
I will tell you first hand that all of my options commuting in to my city job were far more enjoyable than the rt to 128 misery i face each day.

In fact the whole lifestyle is really getting to me.

Sit in a car for an hour to drive 15 miles to an office park.
Step out for a breath of air and there is nothing but rows of offices and cars. So sitting in a chair for 10 hours becomes the norm.
Then you get to sit in another chair ( on wheels) to fight gridlock traffic which starts at 2pm to get home and scramble to get dinner made, because the only viable nutrition you've had all day was brought by you, or a pick of any fast food type sub joint you can imagine.

Yeah.

Im not too cool or trendy anymore...but believe me. these zany kids may be on to something.
And that's why places like 3rd Avenue and The District are being created here in Burlington. Although I loath the live, work, play moniker, it really is what lots of younger workers desire. Spending an hour in traffic isn't what they want. They much prefer 15-30 minute walk/bike/transit commute. They want to be able to step outside their office and get lunch without having to drive to get it.

The District (formerly New England Executive Park) has added restaurants, banking, bike sharing, a pocket park, pedestrian walkways, and a shuttle to Alewife. Within walking distance is Lahey Health, the Mall, Kohl's, 3rd Ave. The Tremont apartments have opened at 3rd and it's a 20 minute walk to The District and all the employment centers in Northwest Park.

If you want those young workers out in the suburbs, you have to make it easy for them to get there.

Old 11-04-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
I did for 2 years.
Plus another point is that if indeed the T or whatever route home was backed up at least in the city you can go sit and have a decent meal or a beer , or even just do your grocery shopping and wait it out.
Beats sitting in your car in an office park listening to an audio book doesn't it?
Hell yes.

Sitting in traffic for 30 min+ vs being on a bus or orange line 30+, no freaking contest, T all day. Oh no, problem on the T, I have to wait 4 minutes for the next train or switch to the bus that takes me within a block of the same place. Damn!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts