Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2008, 08:36 PM

32 posts, read 168,427 times

Advertisements

Need some info on Leominster, my family and I are relocating to Hanscom AFB in 3 months and I'm still searching for that perfect home (which may be a pipedream): over 2,000 sq ft, relatively new (built since 2004) with 4 BDs, and at least 2.5 baths for no more than $400000. Also, a relatively easy commute to the base would be ideal. I looked at some of the towns closer in: Lexington, Concord, Bedford and those are out of my price range. My second effort concentrated on towns like Billerica, Chelmsford and Burlington, and while I haven't counted them totally out, I haven't seen much in the way of "new" construction for the price I'm looking for. However, I did see some homes in Leominister that are closer to what I'm looking for but I'm unsure of the commute to base everyday. I'm not overly worried about schools as my children are only 2 years old, but good ones are important. My biggest concerns: safety, good neighbors and neighborhoods are high on my list. How does Leominister rate? How is the commute to base in # of miles and approximate commute time? Are there things to do there--museums, parks, kid-friendly/family-oriented stuff. How about diversity in race, ethnicity, etc, etc. Thanks for your help...I'm coming from Alabama and the cost of living is a bit different here....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 09:01 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,188,694 times
I lived in Leominster for 15 years. Nice place to live. The city gov't and especially the mayor have their act together. They're the complete opposite of neighboring Fitchburg. Local favorites like Jackies Dairy Bar add to the New England flavor. The Mall at Whitney Field is small as malls go, but very convenient. There is a host of other shopping too and you never have to leave Leominster to fill most needs.

You won't see much in the way of new construction, but there is a little and some relatively new houses in some areas. The remainder of the houses will be 20 - 200 years old. Expect prices from $225K for small and needing a fix up to upwards of $600K for larger and nicer. 4BR and 2.5 bath is the biggest you'll see at just about any price.

The schools are lacking to some degree. There are not enough text books to go around and the high school has been mired with structural issues such as roof leaks. All in all, the schools are safe and the teachers are mostly OK, but they just lack that extra something in the way of modern technologies that we have in our new schools in GA.

The commute depends on the time of day. Route 2 can get busy during certain parts of the rush hour, and you'll sit at the Concord rotary and at the lights in Concord to Crosby's corner where Rte 2A splits. Expect about an hour (sometimes less) to do the 30 miles to Hanscom during peak. Off peak, you can make it in 30 - 40 minutes, depending where in Leominster you start from.

Beware some cost of living differences in MA. Car insurance is regulated and insanly expensive compared to most other states. Excise tax for cars is nothing but a money grab by the state and towns and will cost you hundreds for newer cars every year. Income and sales taxes are less than most people think, but compared to Alabama, you may be in for a little shock. Electricity and natural gas are probably much more expensive than Alabama, and you'll pay a small fortune to heat in the winter, although you don't need A/C except for a couple of weeks a year. Water/sewer is probably less in Leominster.

Last edited by neil0311; 02-26-2008 at 09:09 PM..

Old 02-27-2008, 02:25 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,302,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamafam View Post
Need some info on Leominster, my family and I are relocating to Hanscom AFB in 3 months and I'm still searching for that perfect home (which may be a pipedream): over 2,000 sq ft, relatively new (built since 2004) with 4 BDs, and at least 2.5 baths for no more than $400000.
Leominster is the city of the week on this forum! Check out some of the comments below. There are some nice areas but the downtown is coming back after a down spell.

I'm sorry, I can't stop laughing about the "relatively new" being "built since 2004." That is BRAND new for these parts; this is Massachusetts. I think of anything built after 1950 as relatively new since every home I've lived in (about 25-30 places over the years) except my new one (high rise I moved into three weeks ago) was built before 1935. You're right to look west from Hanscom, since the Lexington area is far more expensive. Have you looked at the Berlin, Bolton, Hudson area? It seems to me to find something that new and that big for $400K will be tough, but I am also used to prices much closer to Boston, which are obviously much higher.

On Route 2, it's about 25 miles to Hanscom if you stay on Rt. 2 when it becomes more of a normal road with traffic lights. Without traffic, probably 30-35 mins. From Concord to Boston the traffic is quite bad on Route 2, but I am less sure of the area from Leominster to Concord/Bedford. It does get slower when the road is no longer limited access, but it's not worth it to go up to Route 3.

Gardner, Leominster and Fitchburg

Anyone Familiar with Leominster?

Fitchburg/Leominster?

Old 03-03-2008, 06:36 AM

2 posts, read 9,257 times
Default $400k and 2000 Squ Ft

In 2005 I bought my home for $440,000 and it has 2300 Squ Ft in the town of Hudson. There are some new home developments with homes that are smaller mayby 1600 Squ Ft but have a garage for the $400k price point in town.

I would stay away from Berlin, Bolton, Stow, Concord, Lexington

I might look at:
Ayer (20 min commute to HAFB)
Bedford (15 min)
Boxborough (45 min)
Leominster (40 min)
Westford (40 min)

Goodluck in your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts