U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2008, 09:10 AM

16 posts, read 26,267 times

Advertisements

Anyone familiar with these 2 markets? We got priced out a few years ago, but with the real estate correction and a couple of big job promotions we might be back in the hunt. I'm a little afraid of catching the proverbial "falling knife".

This will be our last move for at least 15 years, so I'm not worried about some declines, as long as they are not catastrophic. I'm in the financial services industry, so I understand the folly of trying to hit it right at the bottom. I just wanted to get a guage for the general direction and more importantly sentiment in the area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 09:46 AM

2,412 posts, read 6,938,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey1 View Post
Anyone familiar with these 2 markets? We got priced out a few years ago, but with the real estate correction and a couple of big job promotions we might be back in the hunt. I'm a little afraid of catching the proverbial "falling knife".
My view is that most sellers have been very slow to face reality and lower prices (economists call this "sticky pricing"). I think the market has a long way to go to catch up with reality and buyers now face significant downside risk. That said, you might always find a deal in the case of a sudden death or nasty divorce (the buyer's best friends). But I personally think prices need to come down significantly -- say, 20%. There are simply too many sellers chasing too fewer buyers

Old 03-03-2008, 10:10 AM

6 posts, read 40,189 times
Default Pounce Now

Mattapoisett and Marion are fairly exclusive, as you probably know. If you're considering this area, I'd probably strike now.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:07 PM

414 posts, read 2,202,704 times
I own a home in Marion...and I'm also very familiar with Mattapoisett as well. Both towns are very nice if thier offerings are what you look for in a town. The worse aspect of living in this area of the state is the lack of quality jobs for professionals. Most people either work independently or commute to Providence or Boston--and with gas prices they way they are commuting into either city is a pricey task.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts