Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 08:17 PM

162 posts, read 209,293 times

Advertisements

I found an old post on this site that I liked because posters were recommending specific streets and neighborhoods in their towns. Anyone live in Framingham? I keep hearing that North Framingham is the more desirable area of town but when I drove through it the other day, I saw mostly campinelli ranches, split-levels, and ugly cookie cutter developments. I actually sort of thought the south of Framingham had nicer houses in some ways, but I didn't find any neighborhoods I love. Lake Waushakum is nice. Other than that, are there any really beautiful streets in Framingham? Maybe a neighborhood with mature trees, antique houses, sidewalks, etc that isn't on top of rt 9?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 09:49 PM

193 posts, read 278,586 times
Drive down Dennison Road, near the Downtown. I know the Downtown itself is pretty ugly, but you will be surprised. A hidden gem.

In the Northwest corner of town, in the Grove Street to Wayside Inn Road area, you will find farms and long, woodsy streets. There are some nice houses on those side streets, as well.

I know what you mean about the cookie-cutter developments and slab houses. The neighborhood east of downtown toward Natick is like that, as is almost everything surrounding the Potter Road School, from Edgell Road all the way East to Wayland.

Old 11-30-2016, 02:38 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,808,135 times
My favorite neighborhood in Framingham is the area between Potter School, Hemenway School and Garden in the Woods. From what you describe, I think you'll find what you're looking for in the neighborhood off Edmands Rd. Go up Wayside Inn Rd to Parmenter and then down Nixon back to Edmands Rd.

Why are you asking about Southboro vs Sherborn, and now Framingham? Those towns have never been cross-shopped in the history of MA real estate.

Old 11-30-2016, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Why are you asking about Southboro vs Sherborn, and now Framingham? Those towns have never been cross-shopped in the history of MA real estate.
We don't need schools but have to be within 35 minutes of Watertown and 10/15 minutes of a Catholic school. We can't afford east of Natick, where most of the Catholic schools are. I know I like Sherborn (but the commute to school would be a stretch and we'd be paying a premium for public schools we wouldn't use). I've heard good things about Southboro and it's a straight shoot down Rt 9 to SBS or up a little ways to St. Bernadette's. It'd be easiest for us if we could find a more rural, nice area of Framingham, because then kids could take the bus to school. Otherwise I'd have to drive every morning.

Old 11-30-2016, 05:54 AM

Quote:
My favorite neighborhood in Framingham is the area between Potter School, Hemenway School and Garden in the Woods. From what you describe, I think you'll find what you're looking for in the neighborhood off Edmands Rd. Go up Wayside Inn Rd to Parmenter and then down Nixon back to Edmands Rd.
Thanks, I'll check that out.

Old 11-30-2016, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwbms28 View Post
Drive down Dennison Road, near the Downtown. I know the Downtown itself is pretty ugly, but you will be surprised. A hidden gem.

In the Northwest corner of town, in the Grove Street to Wayside Inn Road area, you will find farms and long, woodsy streets. There are some nice houses on those side streets, as well.

I know what you mean about the cookie-cutter developments and slab houses. The neighborhood east of downtown toward Natick is like that, as is almost everything surrounding the Potter Road School, from Edgell Road all the way East to Wayland.
Thanks, I'll check out those areas!

Old 11-30-2016, 08:12 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,016,971 times
Quote:
For some reason this literally almost made me spit out my coffee laughing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubiquecartas View Post
I found an old post on this site that I liked because posters were recommending specific streets and neighborhoods in their towns. Anyone live in Framingham? I keep hearing that North Framingham is the more desirable area of town but when I drove through it the other day, I saw mostly campinelli ranches, split-levels, and ugly cookie cutter developments. I actually sort of thought the south of Framingham had nicer houses in some ways, but I didn't find any neighborhoods I love. Lake Waushakum is nice. Other than that, are there any really beautiful streets in Framingham? Maybe a neighborhood with mature trees, antique houses, sidewalks, etc that isn't on top of rt 9?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubiquecartas View Post
We don't need schools but have to be within 35 minutes of Watertown and 10/15 minutes of a Catholic school. We can't afford east of Natick, where most of the Catholic schools are. I know I like Sherborn (but the commute to school would be a stretch and we'd be paying a premium for public schools we wouldn't use). I've heard good things about Southboro and it's a straight shoot down Rt 9 to SBS or up a little ways to St. Bernadette's. It'd be easiest for us if we could find a more rural, nice area of Framingham, because then kids could take the bus to school. Otherwise I'd have to drive every morning.
What kind of budget are you looking to stick to? If you're sending your kids to Catholic school then certainly you could save a lot of money by living in Framingham but RE appreciation tends to be less there than some other area towns in part because of the reputation of the school system.

There are some pockets of Framingham that offer what you're looking for. The problem lies in the way Framingham was developed. Up until the 50's or so it was mostly farm land and sparsely populated. There was a ton of development in the 50's and 60's which resulted in the Campanelli slab ranches you mentioned which are ubiquitous in some corners of town. Then there was a big building boom starting in the late 70's which probably went through the early 90's. This resulted in a lot of the cookie cutter houses you mentioned (I actually grew up in one).

As others have said, you can't just chop the town up into North and South. This isn't the Civil War! Take a look at the area around Salem End Road which is just south of RT 9 toward the Western end of town. Definitely some older homes out that way. The area in the Northwest corner of Framingham that runs along the Southboro and Marlboro borders tends to be larger lots and more woodsy although not a ton of antique homes. Then there's the Northeast corner of town along the Sudbury & Wayland borders which also is more woodsy feeling.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
What kind of budget are you looking to stick to? If you're sending your kids to Catholic school then certainly you could save a lot of money by living in Framingham but RE appreciation tends to be less there than some other area towns in part because of the reputation of the school system.

There are some pockets of Framingham that offer what you're looking for. The problem lies in the way Framingham was developed. Up until the 50's or so it was mostly farm land and sparsely populated. There was a ton of development in the 50's and 60's which resulted in the Campanelli slab ranches you mentioned which are ubiquitous in some corners of town. Then there was a big building boom starting in the late 70's which probably went through the early 90's. This resulted in a lot of the cookie cutter houses you mentioned (I actually grew up in one).

As others have said, you can't just chop the town up into North and South. This isn't the Civil War! Take a look at the area around Salem End Road which is just south of RT 9 toward the Western end of town. Definitely some older homes out that way. The area in the Northwest corner of Framingham that runs along the Southboro and Marlboro borders tends to be larger lots and more woodsy although not a ton of antique homes. Then there's the Northeast corner of town along the Sudbury & Wayland borders which also is more woodsy feeling.
Our budget is less than $650, which I know doesn't go far in some of these towns. We need 5 bedrooms (or possibly 4 and an office) and a level, private yard. The more land the better.

I'll drive down Salem End today. I'm picturing that gated community near temple street but maybe if I keep driving west?

Old 11-30-2016, 09:31 AM

I guess when I say antique homes, I'm using age as a proxy for nice architectural design, rather than cheap-looking builder designed houses. I love the craftsmanship and proportions of a graceful older home. Though I have seen some nice reproductions and some newer homes do get it right.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:41 AM

23,571 posts, read 18,678,020 times
The problem with places like Sherborn and Southborough is that while they are plenty nice enough, you will have to venture out of town for just about everything including groceries. If you aren't taking advantage of the schools (yet of course still paying super high taxes), why not just live in Framingham since you will be doing all your errands there anyway? If you want a nicer community, maybe consider Sudbury or even Medfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts