Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 10:13 AM
A02

74 posts, read 103,051 times

Advertisements

I've been working full time for various startups for over a decade now... a couple in California and a couple in Boston. I've freelanced for a few others here as well on the side.

The vast majority of startups are going to be found in Boston and Cambridge. This is due to many reasons - access to young/fresh talent, where incubators and co-work spaces are, and giving employees the benefit of city amenities and transportation - to name a few.

There are definitely others inside and on the 128 belt as well as north of the city... but for all intents and purposes... Cambridge and Boston is where the scene is focused.

As others have mentioned, the startup scene is a little different here. When I lived in California, most startups were very customer-facing. Products designed to be emotionally satisfying to use or ecom driven. Over here, the focus is more "under the hood". AI, data, tech and efficiency products are big here. There are definitely all types of startups here - but keep that in mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 10:28 AM
A02

74 posts, read 103,051 times
I also just want to make a side note regarding your concern of finding work here... there are a LOT of startups here. In the startup world, a solid talent is a solid talent... regardless of where you live. He shouldn't have trouble finding work. Honestly, I'd have him do some digging there now at some places that might be appealing to him out here. Boston is probably the 3rd or 4th largest concentration of startups in the country.

Old 12-07-2016, 11:51 AM

124 posts, read 174,032 times
Appreciate your help everyone!

My husband works on the financing side and has worked for software start ups both in CO and southern CA (I am afraid that is the limit of my knowledge, I don't know much about start ups, different types, etc). Maybe we can look at NH around Nashua as someone mentioned, as I am not sure he can deal with driving in Boston or commuting, being such a laid back beach sort. Maybe the 128 belt would be tolerable if the drive wasn't too far (are there houses under 400k around there -- I mean houses with yards?). He has learned to drive in snow out here in CO where though the snow is less they don't plow, so that's one way to ready for New England!

Anyway, thanks everyone, much appreciated, & very much looking forward to moving back!

Old 12-07-2016, 12:46 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,232,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverphonics View Post
Maybe the 128 belt would be tolerable if the drive wasn't too far (are there houses under 400k around there -- I mean houses with yards?).
Frankly no. You'd have to go out to the 495 corridor to find that.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:53 PM

1,708 posts, read 2,911,481 times
Quote:
Appreciate your help everyone!

My husband works on the financing side and has worked for software start ups both in CO and southern CA (I am afraid that is the limit of my knowledge, I don't know much about start ups, different types, etc). Maybe we can look at NH around Nashua as someone mentioned, as I am not sure he can deal with driving in Boston or commuting, being such a laid back beach sort. Maybe the 128 belt would be tolerable if the drive wasn't too far (are there houses under 400k around there -- I mean houses with yards?). He has learned to drive in snow out here in CO where though the snow is less they don't plow, so that's one way to ready for New England!

Anyway, thanks everyone, much appreciated, & very much looking forward to moving back!
Groton is the closest you are getting to Burlington with that budget if you care about schools.

Old 12-07-2016, 01:30 PM

124 posts, read 174,032 times
I love Groton and grew up a few towns over so I am glad to hear that, boston burbs!

Old 12-07-2016, 02:14 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston_Burbs View Post
Groton is the closest you are getting to Burlington with that budget if you care about schools.
Pretty much, although having lived in the Groton area and commuted east I'd say Hollis (NH) or Dunstable might possibly be a better commute to Burlington/128. Schools are comparable. 119 is an absolute drag these days (Parsec - care to confirm?) and much of the available housing stock <$400k is in the west side of town, i.e., further down 119.

I actually find my infrequent 128/Cambridge commutes to be more tolerable from the Sterling/Lancaster area as the roads to 2/495 tend to be more plentiful and less congested ... for the time being. With Bolton and Groton prices comparable, I'd advise buying in Bolton purely for access.

Old 12-07-2016, 02:28 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Quote:
Maybe the 128 belt would be tolerable if the drive wasn't too far (are there houses under 400k around there -- I mean houses with yards?).

$400K will get you something that needs a bit of work.

I'd say if you could bump your budget to $450K you'd have a shot, but there will be plenty of competition.

Old 12-07-2016, 03:55 PM

466 posts, read 643,854 times
Is your husband currently employed? I missed it if you said you'd be moving back for a career of your own, but if neither of you actually have a job in the area yet, I would strongly recommend you find work before committing to this move. While there are start-ups here, this is definitely not the west coast.

Old 12-07-2016, 07:17 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,813,022 times
Are you sure he wants to work for a startup? I'm all for small businesses don't get me wrong but establishing more longer term benefit packages are more towards established firms. Again don't get me wrong but if a company is younger it is going to probably be less apt to be public (no esop yet) and be more concerned about upfront pay vs family leave, LTD/STD etc.

If he's really into finance I'd recommend Tyler technologies.
Staff Benefits | Working at Tyler | Tyler Technologies

I don't work for them but frankly their business plan is rock solid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts