Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 11:24 AM

16 posts, read 13,040 times

Advertisements

We are currently trying to figure out where to relocate to and are down to two choices. Lexington MA or Plantation / Weston area. We have been able to compare most aspects ie. weather, people, housing etc but we are struggling with schools. Specifically private school in Plantation area so AHS, Pine Crest etc versus Public schools in Lexington.

Anyone on this site who know both places well? Needle in a haystack I realize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2016, 11:35 AM

2,190 posts, read 2,230,657 times
Lexington has some of the best public schools in the state. Also there are private schools in the Lexington area, Belmont Hill and Gann Academy come to mind but i'm sure there are others.

Old 12-11-2016, 11:41 AM

3,686 posts, read 7,422,687 times
Your thread title is a bit confusing.

Are you comparing between Lexington, MA, and the Fort Lauderdale, FL, suburb of Weston, or the town in Massachusetts, also called Weston? I think you are trying to compare Massachusetts to Florida. Not a needle in a haystack, more like apples and oranges.

I don't think you can adequately compare between moving to Massachusetts or moving to Florida. Even if everything else was equal (even though it is not), either you want to live in a year-round, warmer climate like Southern Florida, or you want to live in a 4-season climate like Greater Boston.

Where are you coming from? What are the things that you like about where you live now that you would find in either MA or FL? What are the things that you don't like about where you live now that you would not encounter if you were to move to MA or FL? Are professional opportunities the same? Family ties? There really are too many variables.

Old 12-11-2016, 11:42 AM

513 posts, read 646,225 times
I don't know anything about private schools in Florida, but here is a fact sheet for Lexington High School that you can use to compare to the private schools in FL. It won't show the whole picture, but it's a start.
http://lps.lexingtonma.org/cms/lib2/...%202015-16.pdf

Old 12-12-2016, 08:42 PM

16 posts, read 13,040 times
gf2020: You deciphered my confusing question. I didn't realize there was a Weston in MA. I'm trying to compare MA to FL.
My husband and I have lived all over - Hong Kong, NYC, Chicago, St Louis, San Francisco, Upstate NY just to name a few.

We have weighed all the other variables you speak of and know what we like and don't like about each factor. I'm not ignoring your other questions but just trying to keep the post short. We are really just trying to focus on education which is the factor we are unclear about as it pertains to MA.

The things we like about the private schools in FL - it isn't focused on testing / common core like the public schools in FL are. Kids in the good public schools (at least the ones I'm zoned for / would consider moving to) are overloaded with homework starting in Kindergarten. The schools are overcrowded. Some classes are double classes meaning 36 students with 2 teachers in a room that should only accommodate 20. Kids often don't go outside for recess as the playground can't accommodate. Recess is 15 to 30 minutes because there is just so much to cover. Speaking to teachers here they note that for some kids the love of learning is sapped out of them. Being in Miami, Spanish is prevalent and while I"m supportive of a second language, I still believe English should be the primary language used at schools. I often find the teachers and students speaking in Spanish excluding other non-spanish speakers or creating a community that is not inclusive.

I realize that MA also has common core but to what extent are the kids only being taught to the test? Are the kindergarteners overloaded with weekly tests and homework or do they let kids be kids? What are the resources like? I intend to visit of course before I make the final decision but any insight I can gather here would be appreciated.

Old 12-12-2016, 09:34 PM

317 posts, read 331,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenahl View Post
gf2020: You deciphered my confusing question. I didn't realize there was a Weston in MA. I'm trying to compare MA to FL.
My husband and I have lived all over - Hong Kong, NYC, Chicago, St Louis, San Francisco, Upstate NY just to name a few.

We have weighed all the other variables you speak of and know what we like and don't like about each factor. I'm not ignoring your other questions but just trying to keep the post short. We are really just trying to focus on education which is the factor we are unclear about as it pertains to MA.

The things we like about the private schools in FL - it isn't focused on testing / common core like the public schools in FL are. Kids in the good public schools (at least the ones I'm zoned for / would consider moving to) are overloaded with homework starting in Kindergarten. The schools are overcrowded. Some classes are double classes meaning 36 students with 2 teachers in a room that should only accommodate 20. Kids often don't go outside for recess as the playground can't accommodate. Recess is 15 to 30 minutes because there is just so much to cover. Speaking to teachers here they note that for some kids the love of learning is sapped out of them. Being in Miami, Spanish is prevalent and while I"m supportive of a second language, I still believe English should be the primary language used at schools. I often find the teachers and students speaking in Spanish excluding other non-spanish speakers or creating a community that is not inclusive.

I realize that MA also has common core but to what extent are the kids only being taught to the test? Are the kindergarteners overloaded with weekly tests and homework or do they let kids be kids? What are the resources like? I intend to visit of course before I make the final decision but any insight I can gather here would be appreciated.
My Kindergartener doesn't have homework or tests. We are in a well regarded district. There is definitely pressure here in the upper grades, so I'm told. Especially in a place like Lexington, where people move specifically so their kids can be in the Ivies one day. It's more parental/self-induced pressure than the schools themselves. I think comparing any school in MA to FL is apples to oranges, literally and figuratively. I may be biased, but I'm willing to bet any average MA public school to be equal or better than a private school in FL. Including academics, social/emotional, and teaching to the "whole child".

Old 12-16-2016, 09:46 PM

12,368 posts, read 9,473,336 times
There are various rankings of state school systems, but MA is at or near the top of most. For example:
2016 Education Rankings Put States, Nation to the Test - Education Week

Old 12-17-2016, 01:46 PM

649 posts, read 815,839 times
I would think you would really want private school in either place if you are concerned about testing pressure. Remember that Massachusets essentially invented THE TEST as well as teaching to it. It was the creation of the MCAS in MA that paved the way for high stakes, high pressure testing in the US. When we were shopping public schools in MA we found over and over again that schools had sacrificed and minimized recesses and lunch periods for more time for test prep. As for not going outside for recess- that happens more in MA than elsewhere due to the weather. Being indoors for 5mo out of the year can be wearing.

When we were shopping schools I called and asked about gym, recess, library hours, nurses, counsellors, art, drama and music. I was very surprised to find many things had been eliminated at the elementary level due to funding issues (not test prep though!) Also, I am not sure what grades your kids are but MA kindergarten is mostly half day with a paid full day option that is often lottery. Many places do not offer any after school care (or it is lottery) so be wary of that as well, if you work.

Old 12-17-2016, 08:11 PM

317 posts, read 331,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamanderSmile View Post
Also, I am not sure what grades your kids are but MA kindergarten is mostly half day with a paid full day option that is often lottery. Many places do not offer any after school care (or it is lottery) so be wary of that as well, if you work.
I think the majority are full day free Kindergarten now. Most, but not all. My son (in K) also has 2, sometimes 3 recesses a day as well as all the other specials mentioned (except drama). I think in the "good" districts you are less likely to encounter cut programs/recess.

Old 12-18-2016, 07:12 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,719,577 times
I'm curious why your inquiry is so specific to Lexington versus this other town near Ft. Lauderdale. Surely, there must be elements that would sway you that apply to the Greater Boston versus South Florida areas?

I'm not sure exactly what criteria you are looking for, but there might be other towns that would make you just as happy or perhaps even happier than would Lexington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts