Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 08:58 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjmac View Post
lol at some of the remarks - esp at how racist are Muslim countries... they are extremely racist, that's why I live in America and am proud to be an American. I love when people get identify, religion and nationality confused ... actually get sad when they let their religion define their identity... probably not for this thread.
I asked because Boston has a certain reputation, I have never been heckled here, but my sister who went to school here has, by local folks who told her to go back home. All I am trying to do is make sure where we move does not have that type of trash.
Well, at least your question on how racist Boston can be is answered. Bravo to you.

To echo others, Newton seems like it would be more your speed. One of my best friends grew up in Newton as a first generation American with parents from Korea. She had a trio of best friends growing up - the other two were Muslim and Jewish. That seems typical of Newton.

There are ignorant people everywhere ("But what about how racist MUSLIM countries are! That's so relevant in a thread about Americans in the US and you MUST know my opinion about it!") so your child will unfortunately have to learn to deal with some of those comments, but you are doing right by trying to mitigate that impact. I grew up Jewish in rural-ish Georgia (though one of the wealthiest parts of the state and one of the best school systems in the country) and it was pretty hellish, though I had a strong gang of other societal misfits (Muslims, Indian immigrants, and liberals) to get me through. I doubt your child would experience anything similar anywhere in Mass, though.

I have nothing bad to say about Wellesley, just that it tends to be more old wealth and WASPy. It's not outwardly hostile to other groups, and even has a crescent display up for the holidays, but as a Jew I feel much more comfortable and welcome in Newton than in Wellesley. YMMV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 08:01 AM

193 posts, read 278,516 times
I live in Wellesley, and would agree with the general consensus in this thread: you'd be happier in Newton. There is more diversity in Newton. Wellesley has a fair number of Indians and Asians, but I can't recall seeing any Muslims around during my time here, which has basically been my entire life of 36 years.

Don't get me wrong OP, if you were my neighbor I'd be happy to be friends with you, but I don't think you'd get a welcoming vibe from Wellesley in general. Not mean, either, just kind of distant would be my guess.

The Jewish comments are right on as well - most Jewish families who choose this area of Metrowest choose Needham or Newton.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:49 AM

880 posts, read 818,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danjmac View Post
This is not my first post, thank you if you replied to an earlier post. We moved from NJ to Boston downtown this month because of my wive's job. I am loving living here and eventually will move out to the suburbs next year. After the most recent election I know a lot of closet racist are coming out and wanted to see how things are in Wellesley and Newton? I see Lexington is a more racially diverse city but not convinient to get to Boston.

About us -
1- We have a child in pre-k right now.
2 - Well educated and well to do
3 - Imigrated during in the early 90s in middle/ high school from India
4 a Muslims but not nessesarily religious

Ps: Were moving from Mendham NJ, which we loved. Lookup the demographics before telling me I need to adjust to the US.

Since you asked about racism, can you give a few examples of that you would consider racist? Bear in mind MA is such a liberal state

- will you be attacked walking down the street? I can't think of any place in MA this could happen. Unless its 2am at night
- will your kids not make friends because of their race? Outside high-school and perhaps due to other reasons rather than race. I can't see this happening in MA
- Police constantly stop you. I can imagine this happening in wealthy areas if you are African American. For Muslim's I doubt very much outside an airport
- Being welcomed to the community. Any rejections in MA will likely be 'social/wealth' status rather than race

Old 12-15-2016, 10:24 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Generally the higher one's education and income is, the less racists they will be. They might be snobbish based on one's education and income, but not based on their race.

Old 12-15-2016, 02:22 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,331,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Generally the higher one's education and income is, the less racists they will be. They might be snobbish based on one's education and income, but not based on their race.
I would like to believe this is true, but they recently found two incidents of swastikas in Brookline schools as well as at a prestigious private school in metrowest. And then there is the president elect...

Old 12-15-2016, 04:35 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,719,577 times
The only Trump supporter I've encountered lives in Wellesley.
I'm in Newton and my perception is that it is pretty diverse. There are some Muslim children in my kids' classes, but not being Muslim myself, I can't say whether the numbers are sufficient to feel you'd fit in.

Old 12-15-2016, 05:12 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,805,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
I would like to believe this is true, but they recently found two incidents of swastikas in Brookline schools as well as at a prestigious private school in metrowest. And then there is the president elect...
The kind of thing that teenagers have, unfortunately, been doing for decades.

Old 12-15-2016, 05:51 PM

12 posts, read 14,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
This statement is a good example of toddler-like, "mechanical thinking", from someone lacking the intellectual heft to be self-aware of their own ignorance.

I had a grin listening to Trumps comments on that bus. Reading this, however, truly scares the daylight out of me.

Old 12-15-2016, 08:14 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,638,276 times
Wayland has a large Islamic center. It's another diverse town you might add to your list.

Old 12-15-2016, 08:21 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
This statement is a good example of toddler-like, "mechanical thinking", from someone lacking the intellectual heft to be self-aware of their own ignorance.

I have to remember this come back.........LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts