Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2016, 09:59 AM

1 posts, read 709 times

Advertisements

Hi,

From reading through this forum, it seems like some of the best areas within Worcester include:

Tatnuk, Burncoat, Grafton Hill, Salisbury Street, Flagg Street, and Massachusetts Avenue

Do any of these areas have a strong sense of community that might be welcoming to newcomers? Ie. people walk outside, festivals in the summer, just general friendliness?

I'm originally from Virginia and have lived in Norwich, CT for the past two years and have yet to make a single friend. My husband and I try to go out and meet people (trivia nights, running clubs, movie nights) but people just aren't interested in making friends or are distrustful of newcomers. The economy has hit this city hard and everyone seems to be keeping to their own. It really contributes to the dreariness of this city.

I'm hoping that we might find a more welcoming environment in parts of Worcester where people might be more used to people moving in to work at the universities or hospitals. Is this hope in vain?

In particular, I would be interested in hearing from people who currently live in the area or are familiar with the area.

I do not want to live in suburbs around Worcester- we drove around Westborough/Northborough/Shrewsbury yesterday and it did not appeal, particularly for the prices rentals are commanding. We don't have school-age children so schools aren't a concern. I don't frequent the shops within strip malls or malls so they are a negative rather than a positive.

Any advice is much appreciated, thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 12:19 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,642,323 times
Worcester is definitely on the upswing. I have been going in for business lately and find people upbeat and friendly. Lots of great restaurants and breweries around Shrewsbury Street and the Canal District. There are arts and other festivals going on all the time. You can pick up Worcester Magazine for free at many of the restaurants to find out what's happening for the week. The downtown has recently been renovated with new lofts being built. There is ice skating in the middle of downtown on the Oval. The northwest side that you have already mentioned IMO is the prettier side of town. Tower Hill Botanical Gardens and Mt. Wachusetts in nearby towns are beautiful and lively nature spots if you are into that too.

Last edited by 495neighbor; 12-28-2016 at 12:20 PM.. Reason: add

Old 12-28-2016, 12:31 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,948,491 times
I found people in Worcester to be more open and friendly than Boston (can't comment on Norwich), and there are lots of restaurants and a couple of cool spaces. Looks like a lot going on, but definitely still missing vibrancy (downtown feels especially vacant at night), unfortunately. While personally I can save 100k and 60min commute each day by living in it, I've opted to focus on Providence, but good luck in making it work.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:39 PM

69 posts, read 92,397 times
"Worcester is definitely on the upswing."

Totally disagree. Lived there for over a decade (Westisde, specifically). Worked downtown.

Went back to visit last year and was horrified at how bad it has gotten. In particular, panhandling is out of control, and upkeep of buildings appears to be non-existent in areas. Park Ave., even in some of the more "outlying" areas used to be a safe place to visit any number of businesses. Now it is one eyesore after another. Even a city counselor has been accused of not maintaining an abandoned "church" her family owns and nothing seems to be done about it.

The city government appears to be too busy with other things to take care of the infrastructure. A recent rash of snow plowing mishaps apparently is another issue.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:18 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Driving through Worcester it looks like Bridgeport. The only thing that keeps Worcester from being Bridgeport is its large suburban areas that operate autonomously from the day to day city life. Worcester looks rough rough rough..I defnitely saw a new hotel being built and some new construction downtown. But I also saw several abandoned residential homes and mills and it looks like no ones touched up any of those triple deckers that dot the inner city in 10+ years. As a young single Id rather live in Hartford before Worcester..

Old 01-27-2017, 09:32 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotsovertheE86 View Post
Hi,

From reading through this forum, it seems like some of the best areas within Worcester include:

Tatnuk, Burncoat, Grafton Hill, Salisbury Street, Flagg Street, and Massachusetts Avenue

Do any of these areas have a strong sense of community that might be welcoming to newcomers? Ie. people walk outside, festivals in the summer, just general friendliness?

I'm originally from Virginia and have lived in Norwich, CT for the past two years and have yet to make a single friend. My husband and I try to go out and meet people (trivia nights, running clubs, movie nights) but people just aren't interested in making friends or are distrustful of newcomers. The economy has hit this city hard and everyone seems to be keeping to their own. It really contributes to the dreariness of this city.

I'm hoping that we might find a more welcoming environment in parts of Worcester
where people might be more used to people moving in to work at the universities or hospitals. Is this hope in vain?

In particular, I would be interested in hearing from people who currently live in the area or are familiar with the area.

I do not want to live in suburbs around Worcester- we drove around Westborough/Northborough/Shrewsbury yesterday and it did not appeal, particularly for the prices rentals are commanding. We don't have school-age children so schools aren't a concern. I don't frequent the shops within strip malls or malls so they are a negative rather than a positive.

Any advice is much appreciated, thank you!
This is one thing that wont happen. it will be the same as norwich in terms of friendliness. Southern New England just isnt very friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts