Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 01:21 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times

Advertisements

Why wouldn't you just let the potential buyers worry about that? I think 99% of home buyers go through positive and negative lists when making choices.

Still weird.

Old 01-12-2017, 01:26 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
Interior looks lovely and generally speaking priced right for Newton. Although I would consider location more part of Nonantum than Newtonville. Anything within a block or two of Washington Street (route 16) is heavily travelled. (I was in the area yesterday.)

Old 01-12-2017, 02:04 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,723,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Why wouldn't you just let the potential buyers worry about that? I think 99% of home buyers go through positive and negative lists when making choices.

Still weird.
X 1000.

I think there would be much better/more effective/easier ways to gather info on a house. (Like finding a good realtor.)

Old 01-12-2017, 02:51 PM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
not the listing agent or have any information on the house at all (I haven't even bothered to drive past).
trying to find negative and positive issues on the house so future home buyers can make informed decisions.

When I was looking for houses, these kinds of small critiques on houses can help a buyer understand things to look for in houses + locations. Its hard to trust a broker for this information, far too rosy (they just want the commission)

For example
negatives:
- how is this area in general. Negatives. Someone already mentioned its cut-through street
- Crafts/North is a busy intersection. this house is 2 houses away from the intersection. Noise or pollution issues
- the backyard has a large slope. Issues of water in the backyard?
- is a 1940 house 'generally' worse than a 1920's house as its about 1-2 years into the war. (materials quality, builders being drafted so less skilled labor)
- is not top-prime Newton location (eg waban, newton center), so is it overpriced?
- the construction of the orr block could cause traffic issues for the next 2 years

positives:
- can walk to elementary, middle and bike to Newton North
- if the Orr Block is built as suggested. It could be a 'nice and modern' and bustling downtown area less than 1 mile walk.
- Express bus only 1 block away, but only runs in rush hours. Has a high chance of being cancelled in the future due to low ridership and cutbacks
- if express doesn't work, your only option is to walk 15-20 mins to the Newtonville commuter rail or express stops in the village.
Ok, the MLS list is very long and we could do this all day. Unless you have some interest in currently purchasing real estate, I don't think we need random listings posted.

Old 01-12-2017, 03:02 PM

880 posts, read 819,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Ok, the MLS list is very long and we could do this all day. Unless you have some interest in currently purchasing real estate, I don't think we need random listings posted.
I really don't see the harm in sharing opinions on various houses, if no one is interested the thread will just die. Its not like I'm flooding the forum with MLS listings

And by the way, the only people I see 'objecting' to such 'house reviews' would be realtors, they hate the 'sharing of information'

Old 01-12-2017, 03:07 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,723,943 times
Quote:
I really don't see the harm in sharing opinions on various houses, if no one is interested the thread will just die. Its not like I'm flooding the forum with MLS listings

And by the way, the only people I see 'objecting' to such 'house reviews' would be realtors, they hate the 'sharing of information'
I don't see the point. It seems like it would clog up the forum. You can see discussions of particular homes over on the real estate section of C-D. I disagree that realtors "hate the 'sharing of information.'"

I'm not a realtor, nor am I connected in any way to the real estate industry.

And it's kind of annoying to answer a question under false pretenses. People like to help people. So when people come to this forum genuinely seeking information, people like trying to inform them. But this? Just picking a random house and discussing it? It seems totally pointless. I don't see how that would be of much help to anyone.

Old 01-12-2017, 04:16 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:

Well, I'm not a realtor. I'm actually in the market. I don't see the point. If I have an opinion on specific property or neighborhood, I'll ask. I have done so before and will do so again.

I assumed initially you were interested in purchasing this house. It doesn't make sense now that I know you aren't.

Old 01-12-2017, 05:03 PM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
bugelrex, I think we all assumed you were serious and wanted advice. Most of the people here are helpful and enjoy sharing their opinions, but please don't take advantage of that by posting random RE listings for us to critique.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:42 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,022,910 times
Quote:
. . . so newcomers don't have to rely on 'realtor-talk'
Quote:
Its hard to trust a broker for this information, far too rosy (they just want the commission)
Quote:
Ouch! A lot of anti-Realtor sentiment in your posts. Having dealt with many Newton based agents over the years, I can certainly understand the origins of your attitude. There are some real doozies in that town.

Regardless, not all real estate agents are the same nor are they created equal. There's no need or cause to paint with such a broad brush.

Quote:
trying to find negative and positive issues on the house so future home buyers can make informed decisions.
So . . . you started this thread to discuss a house in hopes that some potential buyer may come across it? I agree with everyone else. I thought you started this thread to ask for yourself and I'm puzzled by your motives.

Old 01-13-2017, 06:06 AM

880 posts, read 819,497 times
The motive was simply this:

In Newton in particular, there are maybe 10-15 'bargain' listings where the price/condition look favorable. At initial glance, this looks like such a listing. It would be interesting to discuss what potential negatives/positive issues for these kinds of listings, ie future home buyers can get better idea of things to look for (instead of only relying on finding a 'good' realtors)

however, it looks like this is the wrong forum and best suited to Zillow or redfin forums...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts