Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 04:53 PM

121 posts, read 242,342 times

Advertisements

Does anybody has an experience with these two schools? I know they are ones of the best etc on the paper... but I would love to hear about some real experiences......Is it really so hard on the kids? is the pressure strong?

I talked to one kid from Lexington and he told me "you need to take AP classes just to be considered an average student".... Is it true?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 06:58 PM

652 posts, read 750,174 times
They are not the hood. Your kids would be fine there.

Old 01-15-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rethcir View Post
They are not the hood. Your kids would be fine there.
I am more concerned about pressure... I want them to be happy, not constantly stressed out

Old 01-16-2017, 05:59 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
I went to BHS, and grew up in that town, but I'm old, so I have no idea if my experience is today's experience. I doubt it.

Old 01-16-2017, 06:53 AM

880 posts, read 819,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malishka View Post
I am more concerned about pressure... I want them to be happy, not constantly stressed out
If that's is your priority, look to towns which are not in the top tier schools. I doubt there is any top tier school on earth which won't have such pressure. Those who can handle the pressure are probably naturally gifted/smart... the rest have to succumb to the pressure and hit the books

If you insist on the top schools, then hiring tutors will relieve the stress but not the time required to get up to peer levels

Old 01-16-2017, 06:58 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malishka View Post
I know many folks in Lexington and the impression I get is that LHS can be a pressure cooker. It is one of the most competitive schools in the state and expectations are high. I know of parents who pulled their kids out and sent them to private schools and other public high schools in the area due to the stress. Multiple AP classes are common with some kids taking 5 at a time and multiple extra curricular activities are the norm. Here are a couple of articles regarding the issue:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/magazine...3BO/story.html

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/re...ylN/story.html

One problem I've seen is that many high achieving kids at a school like Lexington don't get into the great schools they want to. When there are 50 great students from the same school, they become interchangeable in the college acceptance matrix and most get rejected. I know of one top 10 student at LHS who was wait listed at top schools and is now happy and successful at the honors college at UMass Amherst.

Old 01-18-2017, 08:25 AM

We live in Lexington, my parents live in Belmont. So thats two options we have right now. My daughter is in Montessori school right now and I am just very concerned its going to be too much pressure for her....I am seriously considering moving...To Weston, or Bedford, or Concord....

Old 01-18-2017, 10:39 AM

134 posts, read 219,051 times
I live in Lexington currently and used to live in Newton. My kids are still at elementary age so I cannot comment on LHS, but judging from anecdotal comments and objective test score result, one can safely says LHS has very high academic standard, and along come the intense competition and stress.

I grew up in a country in Asia, where exam result is of paramount importance and academic pressure is tremendous. But learning is never meant to be "competitive". So pressure from study is it is either a function of comparison (i.e. you want to be better than your peers) or a function of expectation (i.e. I have to get a 4.0 GPA to have a chance at Ivies). So naturally the inclination to relief pressure is to lower the competition (move to a 'less competitive' district), or lower expectation. I agree with Bugelrex - I don't think moving from Lexington/Belmont to Weston/Concord/Bedford will significantly change the competition or the expectation of your kids environment. All these schools have very similar academic standard.

What maybe more helpful, however, is to teach the kids that it is okay to fail, or not ace a test, or not going to elite colleges. Forget about others and just try your best. I am hoping by high school, my kids would have discovered something that they are truly passionate about. As long as the high school that can let them grow in that area, be it academic, social justice, science, sports, arts, etc, then focus on that and forget about stress/ranking/competition. You go to school to learn, not race.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:46 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,724,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claiz View Post
I agree with Bugelrex - I don't think moving from Lexington/Belmont to Weston/Concord/Bedford will significantly change the competition or the expectation of your kids environment. All these schools have very similar academic standard.
But, Lexington High School in particular has a widespread reputation for being an extreme pressure cooker school. While yes, the whole competitive thing is also going to exist in Belmont, and Concord, etc., Lexington still has a reputation as being particularly intense, even among other competitive schools.

Old 01-18-2017, 11:03 AM

134 posts, read 219,051 times
Chicagoliz - I am not saying Lexington is not a pressure cooker, I am saying there is no good way to tell Lexington is a more extreme pressure cooker school than say Belmont, Concord or even private schools. For one thing, I am not sure Lexington is a more extreme pressure cooker than say Newton South or Acton, with all the suicides in recent years. On what basis can one conclude Lexington is more intense than other high ranked school?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts