Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2017, 09:49 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,493,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
Something that really confused me over the course of the 2016 campaign, confused me far more when Trump won, and honestly continues to confuse me even though I've given it a lot of serious thought, is how Trump could have won when the values he represents are so much in conflict with the values I was raised with. I'm not talking about liberal values or conservative values -- I'm talking about what I thought were just plain old American values. I was raised in the Northeast, but I've asked a lot of people who were raised in more socially conservative areas in middle America, and they all say they got the same messages growing up.

I'm sure the vast majority of people who supported trump also have the same values. So why did they vote for him?

Well, when you live in the Northeast, you have it pretty good and can enjoy spending your time solving social justice issues, or improving the environment and such. I'll be blunt here and say that it really makes no difference to my well-being regarding if I outsource my part manufacturing to China, or some small town in Ohio. I still hop in my new car and drive home to my big house with my employment at low risk.

Having BEEN out to that small town in Ohio to see the plant, you can easily see why people ignored Trumps a-hole values, and voted for him. If that plant shuts down, there's just not much else left for people to do. What really stood out to me is what Hillary gave that speech in PA about shutting down the coal plants to improve the environment. Hey, great for you and me right? But what if you work at that coal plant?

When you are in danger of losing your house, what bathroom a person uses is very low on your list of priorities. Of course, it doesn't mean you don't support transgender rights. You just support your livelihood a bit more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 10:09 AM

12,847 posts, read 22,014,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post
Can we see a redacted version of the memo? That way no one gets in trouble?
Yes - with or without Cape Cod Todd obtaining it and posting it. Since it's a public school and the alleged memo was a printed or electronic communication between administration to staff, it's a matter of public record and it can be requested from the town (here's the form- it doesn't look like there's a way to do it online). There may be a small fee involved (like $.25 for the printing/paper + postage and stationary cost). All you'd have to do is request a recent memo to staff at Hanover High School including "Donald Trump" "Inauguration" "Election", or any other key words you feel might narrow it down. I believe they'd have to turn it over within 30 days (and respond to you sooner than that).

If you really feel like this is a worthy cause, that's your avenue to the truth. You could always just email the school and ask too (it helps to say you're filing a PRR if they don't forward it so they know they'll have to turn it over regardless- sometimes it's easier just to forward it along).

Old 01-23-2017, 10:10 AM

23,548 posts, read 18,693,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I'm sure the vast majority of people who supported trump also have the same values. So why did they vote for him?

Well, when you live in the Northeast, you have it pretty good and can enjoy spending your time solving social justice issues, or improving the environment and such. I'll be blunt here and say that it really makes no difference to my well-being regarding if I outsource my part manufacturing to China, or some small town in Ohio. I still hop in my new car and drive home to my big house with my employment at low risk.
Not all in the Northeast have it so nice. Look at the state of Maine for instance, outside grater Portland most of the state has been in economic decline for a good 30 years now. Every year (or more) you hear about another paper mill shutting down. Those same areas went for Trump (most of the state was painted red despite Hillary winning statewide due to most of the population living around Portland and the southern part)! Looking at NH, NY and PA; it is very much the same story. Even MA has many towns that went for Trump, and they typically represented the same faction of those "forgotten" by the new globalist economy.

While there were certainly those who voted Trump for different reasons, this election was clearly a case of the haves vs. have nots. It was reflected one's personal economic outlook, regardless of whether it was in the Northeast, Rust Belt, etc.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:24 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins_Fan View Post
This is a Forum. A place for discussion. This is not a courtroom where we all have to present hard evidence to back-up our opinions and beliefs. Doesn't matter anyway, anyone can photoshop a document in 5 minutes these days.

We all have our divergent opinions. I know I won't change a libs mind anymore than they will change mine. Ain't happening. It is what it is.
How does one have a discussion without proper context? You can't ... reliably. We asked for context and OP didn't or couldn't deliver, which places it into a large bucket of "unsubstantiated claims [with heavy bias]". The younger cohort recognizes this as " posting".

I say this not as a trolling "lib", but as a citizen and forum user who is tired of both ideological vacuums perpetuating rubbish as fact.

Where is OP? Showing homes in Chatham during this beautiful Nor'easter? "Barb, you're going to want to see this stunning south facing view ... hold on to your ascot!"

Last edited by CaseyB; 01-23-2017 at 10:49 AM.. Reason: language

Old 01-23-2017, 10:53 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,812,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
How does one have a discussion without proper context? You can't ... reliably. We asked for context and OP didn't or couldn't deliver, which places it into a large bucket of "unsubstantiated claims [with heavy bias]". The younger cohort recognizes this as "sh_t posting".

I say this not as a trolling "lib", but as a citizen and forum user who is tired of both ideological vacuums perpetuating rubbish as fact.

Where is OP? Showing homes in Chatham during this beautiful Nor'easter? "Barb, you're going to want to see this stunning south facing view ... hold on to your ascot!"
Look, I'd love to see the memo. But just because he apparently can't produce it doesn't mean I won't comment or voice an opinion. I pick and choose which threads I read and comment on. If I find a topic too far fetched or upsetting, I just skip it. No one is making us read or comment on what we may feel are garbage posts. Kinda like changing the channel on TV, I just move on.

Some controversial threads will have hard facts, some won't. I don't lose any sleep over it. As much as I would love to have full control over these things, I don't. Like I said, it's a Forum. I've yet to see a forum without alot of crap posts to wade through.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:54 AM

10,012 posts, read 15,659,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Yes - with or without Cape Cod Todd obtaining it and posting it. Since it's a public school and the alleged memo was a printed or electronic communication between administration to staff, it's a matter of public record and it can be requested from the town (here's the form- it doesn't look like there's a way to do it online). There may be a small fee involved (like $.25 for the printing/paper + postage and stationary cost). All you'd have to do is request a recent memo to staff at Hanover High School including "Donald Trump" "Inauguration" "Election", or any other key words you feel might narrow it down. I believe they'd have to turn it over within 30 days (and respond to you sooner than that).

If you really feel like this is a worthy cause, that's your avenue to the truth. You could always just email the school and ask too (it helps to say you're filing a PRR if they don't forward it so they know they'll have to turn it over regardless- sometimes it's easier just to forward it along).
Well, there you go. This is a great solution.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:46 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,493,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71
Not all in the Northeast have it so nice. Look at the state of Maine for instance, outside grater Portland most of the state has been in economic decline for a good 30 years now. Every year (or more) you hear about another paper mill shutting down. Those same areas went for Trump (most of the state was painted red despite Hillary winning statewide due to most of the population living around Portland and the southern part)! Looking at NH, NY and PA; it is very much the same story. Even MA has many towns that went for Trump, and they typically represented the same faction of those "forgotten" by the new globalist economy.

I'm actually in and around Portland a lot, and it's true. There are areas where it's been in economic decline for the good part of the decade, with run down houses, old cars, and just no new business to provide good jobs. Plenty of Fast food joints though. I remember when I was in Ohio not too long ago, it was fast food joint after fast food joint, with not much else. Factories and such that close down, don't come back, and the next best thing is the local gas station or flipping burgers or repairing cars out of your own driveway.

Old 01-23-2017, 01:08 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,037,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins_Fan View Post
Look, I'd love to see the memo. But just because he apparently can't produce it doesn't mean I won't comment or voice an opinion. I pick and choose which threads I read and comment on. If I find a topic too far fetched or upsetting, I just skip it. No one is making us read or comment on what we may feel are garbage posts. Kinda like changing the channel on TV, I just move on.

Some controversial threads will have hard facts, some won't. I don't lose any sleep over it. As much as I would love to have full control over these things, I don't. Like I said, it's a Forum. I've yet to see a forum without alot of crap posts to wade through.

So....you just accept at face value that it exists and reads exactly as the OP said? Well, I guess if a guy on the internet said it, it must be true!

Old 01-23-2017, 01:56 PM

1,199 posts, read 638,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
So....you just accept at face value that it exists and reads exactly as the OP said? Well, I guess if a guy on the internet said it, it must be true!
It's not just that a guy on the Internet said, but rather that the guy offered up information that supports his conservative viewpoint. It's called "confirmation bias."

If the OP had said that he heard a Massachusetts school was forcing students to salute a cardboard cutout of Trump, neither CaseyB nor Bruins Fan would have defended him for just passing along useful information as a springboard for discussion. That type of information wouldn't fit their preconceived notions that the schools are pushing liberal agendas.

Old 01-23-2017, 02:12 PM

10,012 posts, read 15,659,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial Observer View Post

If the OP had said that he heard a Massachusetts school was forcing students to salute a cardboard cutout of Trump, neither CaseyB nor Bruins Fan would have defended him for just passing along useful information as a springboard for discussion. That type of information wouldn't fit their preconceived notions that the schools are pushing liberal agendas.
I don't think Bruins Fan or myself said anything like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts