Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 11:54 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,493,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Which is why I'd be curious to see the original memo. OP has a history of right-biased posts which are heavy on hyperbole and short on facts ... even when I ideologically agree, it's a bit much.

The two I read were very similar to this. One had sample questions from students and suggested ways to answer it. I didn't really feel as if it leaned either way politically, I think my response to my wife was "we are raising a bunch of snowflakes" and I moved on. I'm not a big fan of the left, but it didn't really rile me up that much.

http://bostonpublicschools.org/site/...11269&PageID=1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 12:02 PM

837 posts, read 1,225,602 times
Yes, it is a teachable moment, and I think older kids (i.e., middle and high school) would benefit from such. Elementary age kids? They're going to parrot whatever they hear at home...or at school. They don't have the developmental capabilities to understand the nuances in that "teachable" moment. Either Trump is "good" or Trump is "bad", depending on what they hear.
For that reason alone, I can understand why a school might ban any kind of political talk.

Really quick story: I have a diehard blue friend who lives in a predominately red state. Her daughters are in the 3rd or 4th grade, I believe. They've come home from school with stories about their teachers praising Trump's win and how Hillary was "bad news",, etc., etc. They have classmates who say similar. My friend, who is very politically astute and explains things to her daughters in a way that they understand, ended up going to the school administration and asking them to put a gag order on everybody until after the election. She found out she wasn't the only parent to do so. I don't think a gag order was every put in place, but the administration "suggested" that teachers not discuss politics while school was in session.

Old 01-19-2017, 12:28 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,345,238 times
If teachers or professors talk about elections they are considered indoctrinating a captive audience.
It's best they answer with generic, 'it's up to you to decide' and my favorite from Bill Burr.... "fair enough".

Old 01-19-2017, 12:34 PM

24,484 posts, read 17,220,223 times
I'd name the school but I don't want to risk getting the guy I know into trouble.

As for this quote. "OP has a history of right-biased posts which are heavy on hyperbole and short on facts ... even when I ideologically agree, it's a bit much."
If you don't like what I write then please don't bother to read my posts.

Yes I do tend to lean to the right in my politics and as we have seen in this election cycle there has been much from both sides that sway towards questionable lunacy.
I merely state the facts from what I have heard on radio, TV, the internet or in this case from a person directly involved. I then add my own thoughts to what has been said and look to others here on CD to add their own opinions and thoughts.

I'd say that most of the people who have responded so far agree with me that the school is missing out on a chance to teach the kids and they are actually hurting them by not allowing an open discussion.

We all know there is unfounded fears out there over a Trump Presidency and it would help many to actually have a discussion about their fears. Hiding from them does nothing.

Old 01-19-2017, 12:43 PM

344 posts, read 335,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I'd name the school but I don't want to risk getting the guy I know into trouble.

As for this quote. "OP has a history of right-biased posts which are heavy on hyperbole and short on facts ... even when I ideologically agree, it's a bit much."

Yes I do tend to lean to the right in my politics and as we have seen in this election cycle there has been much from both sides that sway towards questionable lunacy.
I merely state the facts from what I have heard on radio, TV, the internet or in this case from a person directly involved. I then add my own thoughts to what has been said and look to others here on CD to add their own opinions and thoughts.

I'd say that most of the people who have responded so far agree with me that the school is missing out on a chance to teach the kids and they are actually hurting them by not allowing an open discussion.

We all know there is unfounded fears out there over a Trump Presidency and it would help many to actually have a discussion about their fears. Hiding from them does nothing.
Can you at least tell us if it's public or private? If it's public it's very likely an actionable encroachment on 1st amendment rights.

Old 01-19-2017, 12:51 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,812,653 times
Quote:

Exactly. Or use the "ignore" function. It works wonders!

Old 01-19-2017, 01:19 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,493,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins_Fan View Post
Exactly. Or use the "ignore" function. It works wonders!

Where exactly is that function? I've looked for it a few times

Old 01-19-2017, 01:29 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
well after all, it's not like he's been given any real presidential powers, is it?

Old 01-19-2017, 01:32 PM

10,014 posts, read 15,662,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Where exactly is that function? I've looked for it a few times
It's in the user control panel under settings and options.

Old 01-19-2017, 01:38 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,182,090 times
Quote:
I have a sad feeling that if Hillary had won that it would be celebrated and every TV in that school would be tuned to the inauguration.
I have a sad feeling that if any other candidate had won, it would be celebrated with every TV in the school turned on, but it can't be celebrated for this candidate because he had already been such an inspiration for hate in our nation's schools.

https://www.splcenter.org/20161128/t...ations-schools
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts