Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 08:16 PM

6 posts, read 9,640 times

Advertisements

I'm currently in my mid twenties and will be moving to Boston by the end of the year for work. I'm looking at places to live and so far I've found the town of sharon appealing. I know most people my age would prefer to live in the city but I kind of like that small town feel since I grew up in one. The nearest MBTA stop to my future workplace is back bay station and according to google maps I can get there in 30-40 mins by train which includes driving to the station and walking to the office which I think I can manage since I commuted an hour to college each way for all 4 years. There's also nice luxury suburban apartment complexes here and around canton which I'm looking at as well within a much more reasonable rent range than downtown boston can offer.

I don't know, what do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 01:20 AM

837 posts, read 1,224,954 times
Sharon's a nice, pricey family-oriented town but there's not much going on there AFAIK. That's its major drawback. Back in the Dark Ages my ex's younger brother who was in his early 20s at the time lived there for a spell. He used his apartment as a place to sleep and socialized elsewhere: There were very few people around in his age bracket.

I wouldn't trust the MBTA timetables, especially in inclement weather. The commuter rail, which you'd be taking from Sharon, has the tendency to break down and/or run slower than usual.

Old 02-07-2017, 04:54 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,693,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyytrewq01943 View Post
I'm currently in my mid twenties and will be moving to Boston by the end of the year for work. I'm looking at places to live and so far I've found the town of sharon appealing. I know most people my age would prefer to live in the city but I kind of like that small town feel since I grew up in one. The nearest MBTA stop to my future workplace is back bay station and according to google maps I can get there in 30-40 mins by train which includes driving to the station and walking to the office which I think I can manage since I commuted an hour to college each way for all 4 years. There's also nice luxury suburban apartment complexes here and around canton which I'm looking at as well within a much more reasonable rent range than downtown boston can offer.

I don't know, what do you think?
You will be pretty bored as its mostly families with kids. Canton probably has a few more singles but even still you'll find yourself pretty isolated. A car is a must in either place.

Old 02-07-2017, 06:45 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,719,577 times
If you don't care about doing anything with other people and don't socialize -- that is, if you pretty much want to be all by yourself when you are not working, it will be fine.

If I were a single person moving here from a different area, I wouldn't do it. But that's me. And you are not me.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:07 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,833,620 times
If you did live in Sharon you would learn why smaller towns in Massachusetts do not want--and why it is impracticable to build-- Dallas-style housing tracts on unbuilt land. Sharon has lots of open space, including beautiful Massapoag lake, and the notion of covering its landscape with housing estates would put the citizens into NIMBY alert at a moment's notice.

I am not sold on the idea that a young single adult could not find society in a quiet suburban town. The apartment complex living could be very nice. If you get involved in local groups, synagogues/churches, etc., you would meet people. Why not try it; you can always move.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
If you did live in Sharon you would learn why smaller towns in Massachusetts do not want--and why it is impracticable to build-- Dallas-style housing tracts on unbuilt land. Sharon has lots of open space, including beautiful Massapoag lake, and the notion of covering its landscape with housing estates would put the citizens into NIMBY alert at a moment's notice.

I am not sold on the idea that a young single adult could not find society in a quiet suburban town. The apartment complex living could be very nice. If you get involved in local groups, synagogues/churches, etc., you would meet people. Why not try it; you can always move.
It could absolutely work but the apartment complexes aren't really cheap. In fact they're so expensive you could spend the same money for a 1 BR in Brighton and have a much easier day to day routine.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:21 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,295,372 times
We lived in Sharon years ago as new empty nesters. Loved, loved, loved the pond there where you can swim to your heart's content and no worries about motorized anythings - not allowed there. There are trails where you can do lots of walking in all weathers, and of course the ambiance is quiet and beautiful. We actually walked from our house every morning and evening to the train, on a trail through the woods. It took 20-30 minutes "door to door."

Old 02-07-2017, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
We lived in Sharon years ago as new empty nesters. Loved, loved, loved the pond there where you can swim to your heart's content and no worries about motorized anythings - not allowed there. There are trails where you can do lots of walking in all weathers, and of course the ambiance is quiet and beautiful. We actually walked from our house every morning and evening to the train, on a trail through the woods. It took 20-30 minutes "door to door."
Unless you literally live and work next door to the train station there is no way you can commute to Boston in 30 minutes door to door, and even then it would be tough.

Old 02-07-2017, 08:10 AM

317 posts, read 331,380 times
What about Norwood? There is a lot more going on, but still a small town feel. Close by train to back bay as well. We used to live along the Franklin line and it was very reliable.

Old 02-07-2017, 08:58 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,719,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECPCVC View Post
What about Norwood? There is a lot more going on, but still a small town feel. Close by train to back bay as well. We used to live along the Franklin line and it was very reliable.
I have a single friend who just moved to Norwood (an apartment complex) and already she's looking to move someplace with more going on. At one point, she had a huge house in the boonies with just her and her dog. She thought she would like it. She didn't.

Especially when you're new in town, most people want to build a social network. If you look at any of the groups on meet up (or just the types of groups that would be on meet up) -- book clubs, social clubs, alumni events, sports groups, dinner groups, etc., they're almost all in the city. So, yes, you can go to the city, but it's a real drag if you do that all the time.

Best to be a loner if you want to live by yourself in the far-out burbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts