Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 02:50 PM

6 posts, read 8,418 times

Advertisements

I received a speeding ticket from a state cop on the Massachusetts Pike in Westborough, MA. I noticed the location where it says I got the offense of the ticket is totally wrong. It states I got the ticket in Charlestown, MA on Route 93, a different highway all together. This location written on the ticket is about 40 miles east, outside of Boston. I was not even close to that location. I called my local police station and they said it was very strange and the officer I spoke to even suggested I fight it. I was on my way to a job interview and I was speeding even though I didn't really realize it until I was pulled over. I haven't had a ticket in 3-4 years. Should I contest it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 03:01 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,807,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelindaJames View Post
I received a speeding ticket from a state cop on the Massachusetts Pike in Westborough, MA. I noticed the location where it says I got the offense of the ticket is totally wrong. It states I got the ticket in Charlestown, MA on Route 93, a different highway all together. This location written on the ticket is about 40 miles east, outside of Boston. I was not even close to that location. I called my local police station and they said it was very strange and the officer I spoke to even suggested I fight it. I was on my way to a job interview and I was speeding even though I didn't really realize it until I was pulled over. I haven't had a ticket in 3-4 years. Should I contest it?
Got any toll tag data that can prove it othewise? Maybe an Ezpass statement?

Old 02-17-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
I was on my way to an interview. I got gas right after I got the ticket so I can get a receipt and I'm sure I could get something from EZ Pass.

On the ticket he also put the court code where I would fight the ticket which the court code is for Framingham. That part is correct, the other location stuff is way off.

Old 02-17-2017, 03:12 PM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
I would fight it. Fight your surcharge too, if you get one.

Old 02-17-2017, 03:29 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
Quote:
Should I contest it?
Absolfrickinlutely

Old 02-17-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
I would fight it. Fight your surcharge too, if you get one.
what is a surcharge?

Old 02-17-2017, 03:48 PM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Quote:
what is a surcharge?
It's on your insurance. You get points that increase your premium.

Old 02-17-2017, 06:45 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,697,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
If he was on the Pike than they recorded his movement through the gantries. Should be easy enough to fight.

Old 02-18-2017, 09:43 PM

39 posts, read 46,543 times
YES YES YES. Unless you enjoy paying extra on your car insurance- then no. I fight every single ticket I get no matter what.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:12 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayyz View Post
YES YES YES. Unless you enjoy paying extra on your car insurance- then no. I fight every single ticket I get no matter what.
I am making a similar post to one I made on a similar thread in "automotive" since advising people of the need for representation is vital.

A while back, I started a thread on the topic of "bring(ing) taxation by police to an end." The thread is Strategy to Defeat Speed Traps, Texting and Other Nonsense Laws. My OP stated in part:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Here's my modest proposal; that people organize to have large numbers of people take tickets of the kind described below to trial. The results could be both effective, comedic and educational.

With laws on the books such as texting laws (Ticket for Holding Phone While Driving), unreasonably low speed limits, Does Anyone Feel Speed Limits Are Too Low?, and ones under consideration, such as banning texting and walking, New Jersey is considering banning texting while walking (PC on a rampage),, and eating and driving, NJ About to Ban Driving and Eating, it's time for people to fight back. The legislators are in the thrall of insurance companies and political correctness.

After reading a book by William Adler called The Man Who Never Died, about Joe Hill, a labor organizer (a book I highly recommend) I came up with a strategy. The labor movement, int he early part of the 20th Century was harassed by communities issuing tickets for "disorderly conduct" and jailing people on trumped up charges to stop demonstrations. The demonstrators came up with the strategy of having everyone plead "not guilty" and demanding a jury trial. Towns with limited resources, such as Fresno in 1908 or 1909 (still not a wealthy place) would be fiscally ruined by the expense.

So why not try to get people who were not actually endangering life and limb to plead not guilty, and demand the most elaborate trial possible. Many jurisdictions don't allow for jury trials on traffic infringements. But if large numbers of people stopped for low-grade speeding violations or cell-phone violations pleaded not guilty, showed up and refused to take a plea and the pretrial conferences and demanded a trial, the part-time judges' calendars would stretch well into the night. And the courtroom would be packed with just about every police officer who would have to appear.

Worth a try?
I do not oppose public safety. My thought is to take the profit out of mindless harassment of good citizens trying to live their day-to-day lives. If more tickets were fought rather than passively paid the government would rethink this revenue source.
Quote:
I'm not really interested in getting a lawyer. It will be cheaper to just pay the ticket..
As a lawyer myself I have a duty to advise you that paying the ticket may have an adverse impact on your insurance rates that may swamp the costs of hiring a lawyer. Also depending what the ticket was for the violations can accumulate. For example, in New York three speeding convictions causes a mandatory suspension of your license, as does 12 points or more (thought three, I believe, can be taken off for taking a safety course). Thus, "just pay(ing) the ticket may be a very bad idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts