Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 12:26 PM

787 posts, read 780,885 times

Advertisements

So I am going to be doing spring bowling while the Red Sox play. The bowling alley is right by Fenway. I'll be coming from Westborough. Should I (1) drive into Riverside and take the Green Line to Fenway or (2) take the commuter rail from Westborough to Yawkey? The commuter rail obviously requires the least amount of driving but I'd be tied to the schedules of the trains.

I could take the 5:37 PM train from Westborough, get at Yawkey Station at around 6:35 PM, walk to bowling alley for game around 7:00 to 7:15 PM depending on when my other teammates arrive.

There's 7 bowling games in the league I am in. The Red Sox don't play the first two weeks of the league, then they are home 4 of the last five weeks. So I'd only be choosing either option 4 out of the 7 total weeks of the league anyhow. Parking by Fenway is probably a nightmare during games and the garages probably want $40 to $50.

I guess one week I could try the Green Line and see how it is, then try the commuter rail the next and see which one I prefer. I figure I'd at least ask though because I don't know the trains as well as some people who post here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 02:03 PM

652 posts, read 750,174 times
Are the games on sundays? If so, just drive and park in the neighborhood.

Otherwise, I'd probably do the green line so I don't end up waiting for a train forever.

Old 02-24-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rethcir View Post
Are the games on sundays? If so, just drive and park in the neighborhood.

Otherwise, I'd probably do the green line so I don't end up waiting for a train forever.
Games are Wednesday nights.

Old 02-24-2017, 03:06 PM

4,629 posts, read 4,896,472 times
Green can take forever (officially 45 minutes, only 15 minutes less than what the train is supposed to do, google says 32min). Or seem like it (and Riverside isn't the slow line either!). Eliot has some parking too, but MUCH less than Riverside, and I've never checked on a Wednesday evening.

But, the train leaves Yawkey once an hour from 8:40 to 11:40...

I guess the big variable would be traffic - especially going from the Pike to 95, but that's the end of the drive anyway. I'd drive to Riverside the first week, and adjust as necessary

Old 02-24-2017, 06:09 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,724,745 times
Ugh, that's a tough choice. You're right it is at least $50 to park so that's just not worth it. Do you know if your bowling games would end consistently at a time when you wouldn't have to wait long for a train? Or could they vary a lot. It certainly wouldn't be much fun to have to wait 55 minutes for a train if you just miss one, and typically they run extra T-cars on the green line after the game. If the times work out, the commuter rail is probably going to be less crowded and more reliable, BUT if that end time is dicey, then the green line may be better.

Old 02-25-2017, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Ugh, that's a tough choice. You're right it is at least $50 to park so that's just not worth it. Do you know if your bowling games would end consistently at a time when you wouldn't have to wait long for a train? Or could they vary a lot. It certainly wouldn't be much fun to have to wait 55 minutes for a train if you just miss one, and typically they run extra T-cars on the green line after the game. If the times work out, the commuter rail is probably going to be less crowded and more reliable, BUT if that end time is dicey, then the green line may be better.
It depends on how many people show up on my team. I have had games that ended at 8:30 PM because only four people showed up. If the entire team shows up (around 8 people), we get out close to 10 PM.

Old 02-25-2017, 03:58 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Ugh, that's a tough choice. You're right it is at least $50 to park so that's just not worth it.
Sure, it's $50 to park right next to Fenway. Doesn't anyone walk any more? Park at BU West Campus by the hockey rink or New Balance Field for $2.00/hour and walk or hop on the Green Line from there.

Old 02-25-2017, 05:25 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,724,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Sure, it's $50 to park right next to Fenway. Doesn't anyone walk any more? Park at BU West Campus by the hockey rink or New Balance Field for $2.00/hour and walk or hop on the Green Line from there.
That's certainly an option, too -- but it's just a variation of one of OP's original choices. Instead of driving to Riverside (D line) and taking the T in, drive to BU West (B line) or another stop nearby on the green line and T or walk to Fenway.

I'm not sure which parking situation is better.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:20 AM

Appreciate the suggestions/responses so far guys.

Old 04-07-2017, 02:28 PM

I ended up driving to Riverside. Plenty of parking. I got there right before the train was about to leave as well.

Left my place around 5:30 PM, got to Riverside around 6:05 PM, got to the Fenway T stop around 6:45 PM, walked to Jillian's & Lucky Strike, and ended up getting there 5 minutes before game time. We sometimes start around 7:15 PM so I have plenty of time.

I'll probably continue doing this for now. At least when the Sox are playing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts