Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 06:36 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillRunForBeer View Post
Besides schools, what would those other reasons be?

Might have to mingle with the poors or have to hear a non English speaker from time to time?
Short and long term asset value, apathetic transient population, culture/amenities which may not cater to the tastes and interests of someone with a 650K budget. Is Milford a horrible town? Hardly, but it's upper middle class has been in decline since it's heyday in the '50's/'60's and that fact is palpable whenever I find myself in town.

Milford suffers from similar social economic woes as Framingham, but with far fewer amenities and worse access. If OP is disinterested in Framingham, I have no reason to believe they'll like Milford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 07:10 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,322,067 times
Medway.

Why are there so many illegals in Millis?

Old 04-13-2017, 07:20 AM

92 posts, read 81,927 times
This was the OP's original question: " Are these test scores and numbers just superficial data or is there something about Milford that we should avoid? ...looking at smaller high schools in smaller communities that aren't super competitive. Housing could go up to $650. Would appreciate your expert opinions!!"

Where does your projection of the amenities that a person of $650,000 means is looking for come into play here? Given that he/she has young children, access to recreational activities (many parks, Upper Charles bike trail, etc...), shopping (check), youth activities (community theatre, youth sports, boy/girl scouts, youth music programs, recently renovated public library), some good local non-chain restaurants. Someone of such means couldn't possibly be interested in these things.

Lets be honest here, it all comes down to the fact that there is a sizable working class and immigrant population in the town that you feel the OP would rather not fraternize with. Perhaps the OP would welcome having his/her children gain exposure to people of all different ethnic and economic backgrounds so as to prepare them for life in the real world.

Old 04-13-2017, 07:27 AM

What is working class today anyways?

Working class is not the same class as illegals either.

Old 04-13-2017, 07:46 AM

Quote:
This was the OP's original question: " Are these test scores and numbers just superficial data or is there something about Milford that we should avoid? ...looking at smaller high schools in smaller communities that aren't super competitive. Housing could go up to $650. Would appreciate your expert opinions!!"

Where does your projection of the amenities that a person of $650,000 means is looking for come into play here? Given that he/she has young children, access to recreational activities (many parks, Upper Charles bike trail, etc...), shopping (check), youth activities (community theatre, youth sports, boy/girl scouts, youth music programs, recently renovated public library), some good local non-chain restaurants. Someone of such means couldn't possibly be interested in these things.

Lets be honest here, it all comes down to the fact that there is a sizable working class and immigrant population in the town that you feel the OP would rather not fraternize with. Perhaps the OP would welcome having his/her children gain exposure to people of all different ethnic and economic backgrounds so as to prepare them for life in the real world.
You're projecting a bit. You'll notice in my post history I frequently booster towns/cities such as Shrewsbury, Nashua, Lowell, etc. All of these places are economically and racially diverse, so obviously my issue with Milford is not the diversity of it's people.

You do realize that OP can afford to buy in a town like Westborough or Southborough, which checks all the same boxes and have exceedingly good school systems. Better yet, if you had a budget of 650K when you were house shopping, would you have settled in Milford? (now you've got me projecting)

Should I have suggested it was a "dive"? Perhaps not, but compared to some OPs other options it's a third tier choice.

Old 04-13-2017, 08:04 AM

The characterization of the town as a "dive" is what got me to post originally, but I've noticed a consistent theme here that any "diverse" towns in the area are automatically considered undesirable.

It should be noted that the OP only said that they "could" spend up to $650, not that they wanted to do so. For many people, spending to their absolute max will limit other aspects of their lives, so looking for places where one's dollar goes farther is wise. The OP's discussion of property tax concerns leads me to believe that this could be the case for them.

That budget will go much farther in Milford that it would in Southboro/Westboro and I truly believe that the supposed advantages of these communities do not justify the cost burden.

People on here are so fixated on the ridiculous "GreatSchools" ratings and MCAS scores that they fail to realize that education is far more than a standardized test score.

And to answer your question, I have the means to live elsewhere and have chosen not to do so; and I am not a native of Milford either. I happen to prefer having my children exposed to all different people and cultures and have found that the homogenized "nicer" suburbs leave a lot to be desired in this regard. Places where people are judged by the car they drive and the label on the clothes they wear as opposed to their character are not my thing. Your mileage my vary.

Old 04-13-2017, 08:28 AM

FWIW my DH and I bought less than we could afford as well. I'm thinking this is maybe something more and more people are doing given the huge price increases we've seen in the area over the past few years? Just because someone has a budget of 650k doesn't mean they necessarily want to spend this. Maybe they are looking for the best deal they can find because they want to have more money for other things in live besides their house. Seems logical to me.

Old 04-13-2017, 09:01 AM

10,012 posts, read 15,659,151 times
OP doesn't like Framingham so wouldn't like Milford, either. He wanted a small town, Milford isn't even that small.

Old 04-13-2017, 09:12 AM

OP said he/she didn't like Framingham due to the suburban sprawl. Say what you will about Milford, but I don't think suburban sprawl is a big issue there-certainly not any more than some of the other suggestions put forth (Southboro, Westboro, Shrewsbury).

Old 04-13-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
OP said he/she didn't like Framingham due to the suburban sprawl. Say what you will about Milford, but I don't think suburban sprawl is a big issue there-certainly not any more than some of the other suggestions put forth (Southboro, Westboro, Shrewsbury).
Which is why others have suggested Hopkington, Medway, Upton, etc.

My point in dragging a town like Westborough into the mix is because, IMO, it's a comparable to Milford in many ways (density, social economic diversity, amenities, etc.) while having an excellent schools system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts