Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 08:13 AM

317 posts, read 427,138 times

Advertisements

So I have a large tree in my backyard that needs to be removed. I've contacted one person who quoted $2k, but said they work primarily in higher priced areas like Brookline, and that he insists on using a crane whereas others may not, and stated himself I could probably find cheaper - hence the request for 'economically priced'.

Looking for any and all recommendations, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 08:19 AM

48 posts, read 53,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodybody View Post
So I have a large tree in my backyard that needs to be removed. I've contacted one person who quoted $2k, but said they work primarily in higher priced areas like Brookline, and that he insists on using a crane whereas others may not, and stated himself I could probably find cheaper - hence the request for 'economically priced'.

Looking for any and all recommendations, thanks!
I went with McKinney Bros to remove a large oak, grind the stump, and remove a smaller hemlock in Newton. They were the cheapest out of 3 or 4 places I looked at. They did a perfect job too (on time, did everything they were contracted to do).

Old 03-07-2017, 08:22 AM

317 posts, read 427,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmark09 View Post
I went with McKinney Bros to remove a large oak, grind the stump, and remove a smaller hemlock in Newton. They were the cheapest out of 3 or 4 places I looked at. They did a perfect job too (on time, did everything they were contracted to do).
Can I ask what the cost was, and did they climb it or use a crane?

Old 03-07-2017, 08:27 AM

48 posts, read 53,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodybody View Post
Can I ask what the cost was, and did they climb it or use a crane?
Honestly, I can't remember the cost exactly. But the total cost was certainly under 2k. 1500 rings a bell. I think it was 1100 for the big oak, 250 for the stump grinding, and 200 for the hemlock.

And they didnt use one of those giant cranes. Just a truck with a bucket ladder to maneuver the arborist. He went through with a chainsaw and chopped it up bit by bit. I watched for about 30 mins then had to go to work.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:52 AM

15,681 posts, read 20,176,595 times
I had all the large trees on my property removed last year this time. I priced out a combo of options as I wasn't sure what I'd end up doing. I ended up taking all 8 large trees down.

Anyway, I did price out a single oak, and $1500-2000 was the range I was given from 4 different companies for the single tree. It was a fairly large oak, and had a large limb hanging directly over my kid's playroom (hence why I took it down).

Overall, the quotes I got were in the $5-7K range for the 8 trees. $7K was the pricing using a crane, $5K was climbing all 8 and taking them down. They did need access to my yard.

None of those prices included clearing the stump grindings, which for a large tree are pretty significant. Cost me an additional $1K to have a landscaping company come in with a bobcat and clear out the grindings.

Old 03-07-2017, 02:52 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,784,019 times
There is no such thing. You might find a hack with a chainsaw to drop a tree for cheap, but they aren't trained, licensed, bonded, insured like a certified arborist.

Sometimes you can save if a company already has a crane out in your area for the day, but not much. My brother is an arborist in the area and it is just too expensive to do this kind of thing for cheap. If a company doesn't have a crane, they have to climb and they will probably charge you just as much if not more depending on how precarious the situation.

Old 03-07-2017, 03:15 PM

9,776 posts, read 7,032,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
There is no such thing. You might find a hack with a chainsaw to drop a tree for cheap, but they aren't trained, licensed, bonded, insured like a certified arborist.

Sometimes you can save if a company already has a crane out in your area for the day, but not much. My brother is an arborist in the area and it is just too expensive to do this kind of thing for cheap. If a company doesn't have a crane, they have to climb and they will probably charge you just as much if not more depending on how precarious the situation.
And without a crane they may/will damage your landscaping, the repair of which is not included in the price of the tree removal.

Old 03-07-2017, 03:38 PM

187 posts, read 215,063 times
We used Tree Masters of New England, Boxborough. Best prices around.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:22 AM

15,681 posts, read 20,176,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
And without a crane they may/will damage your landscaping, the repair of which is not included in the price of the tree removal.

Yup. Forgot to mention that as well. Really took me the rest of the season to fix the landscape after having trucks drive on my lawn, and large limbs dropped. Had to backfill divots, level out the ground, reseed.

I did it myself though, and the lawn had other issues so I just rolled it into that project.

Old 07-25-2019, 06:08 AM

5 posts, read 2,956 times
I have utilized and exceedingly suggest Urban Arborists. They cut two separate trees in our lawn and it kept running about $400.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts