Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2008, 01:02 PM

8 posts, read 59,489 times

Advertisements

My husband is taking a new job in Littleton, MA. I was looking for any information on Littleton and the surrounding towns. We have two kids ages 11 and 8, so schools and community activities are important. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 02:08 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,385,615 times
Littleton is a wonderful small town that is perfectly located to get to jobs outside (via I-495/Rt.2), an easy drive into Boston/Cambridge, has a nice commuter rail into the city. Very community oriented, and I gather the schools are well-regarded. (Disclaimer- I've lived here for 16 years, do not have kids).
There are plenty of conservation land trails and areas to walk and take dogs (there is a leash law, but doesn't seem to be enforced on trails). There are lots of green areas, because the town is mostly on private septic systems, the water table is very high, and there is a lot of unbuildable land, so the feeling of being in a wooded area is very easy to get. Still several working farms and stables. Prosperous, and absolutely unpretentious. A lot of people here are from here, and a lot of the older people have been here since the modest houses were built after WWII. Virtually zero crime. Great library.
Housing is more affordable than surrounding Westford, Groton and Boxborough. It is more of a former farm town center than a busy suburb or classic small town. Its tricentenntial is, I think, in 2017. The oldest house in town, which I think predates the Revolutionary War, is stilll inhabited.
Recently there have been some new businesses on the main drag, Rt.2A, which everyone hopes will level out the tax burden, which I gather is about average for Massachusetts ($11/thousand?). I just pay it.
There are a few lakes here, very nice ones, with public beach. Long Lake is my neighborhood, and it is very popular in all seasons (only 4 h.p. engines allowed for fishing, nothing bigger). Long Lake is a little jewel and is well cared for and a real part of the neighborhood here. I am less familiar with the larger lake which I cannot spell (Manawanakee?) but it is beautiful.
I think Littleton is a wonderful community, especially for a family. I've never seen a place with such polite kids, really, of all ages!
Congratulations on the job here, and welcome to the area. If you choose to live right in Littleton, I'm sure you'll love it. Surrounding towns/suburbs are also very nice, but I see no reason to look further afield for a home! Welcome.
Feel free to direct message me if you'd like.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:55 PM

Thank you very much for the information this will help us alot. I am gathering from your description that Littleton does not really have a center with local stores and boutiques. Is that right?

Old 03-07-2008, 10:16 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,385,615 times
Right-o. There are some shopping strips (and a new one that is quite handsome) but there is no real downtown at all. There are local shops in some strips but no real central area at all.
If you could afford Concord, you'd love everything about it- schools, shops, history, boutiques, etc. A great town. I got stopped at a red light recently in front of Ralph Waldo Emerson's home church! Driving past Walden Pond twice a day is really neat, too. Housing is expensive, but if you can manage it, it's well worth it.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:27 PM

Yes Concord is exactly what I would like. I love the quaint main street and all the history, however a little too steep in price for me.
Thanks for your help.

Old 03-14-2008, 01:47 PM

355 posts, read 1,502,944 times
Acton and Westford are great choices too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts