Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 07:27 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times

Advertisements

Those who were born here are citizens and they can legally stay here. Those who sneaked in are criminals and should go. It's been that way at least since the late 1800s when many of our grandparents and gt grandparents came here, LEGALLY with SPONSORS.

This situation is particularly galling to LEGAL immigrants who came in the right way. My husband immigrated LEGALLY from the UK and went through medical exams, background check, mountains of paper work, a large chunk of money, and a long wait.

And, to anyone who tells the illegals to get on a path to citizenship: there isn't one. The Dems were going to create one. I don't know what good that would do in the long run though because that would mean that illegals could keep coming and then getting to stay.

It's VERY hard to get into this country. The laws should be slackened a bit so that it's possible for the people who would be illegal to come here legally. Right now, you have to marry an American or be a doctor or medical researcher--maybe a couple of other in-demand jobs that would qualify. Sometimes you can come here as a student and convert your visa. But that's about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 07:39 AM

24,495 posts, read 17,239,538 times
Whether her actions are right or wrong depends which side of the aisle you are on.
Brockton has always been a haven for crime so to have this elected official acting as a "look out" for the criminals puts her in a position where I think she should be arrested for aiding and abetting known criminals.

People would be flipping out if a police officer alerted a "friend" that their drug house was going to be raided.

What is wrong with these Liberal Loonies?

Old 03-29-2017, 08:22 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,142,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLinderman View Post
I get what you're saying and think there needs to be a focus on hitting the businesses, but saying that the Democrats have been working on a "legal path, particularly for those born in the U.S." is a bit disingenuous considering birthright citizenship has been enshrined in the Constitution since 1868.
It's a fair point and I should have worded my original statement to along the lines of "adults or juveniles who were brought to the U.S. at their guardians will and are now deeply entrenched in this country's culture/society". My issue with the far right ideology on this matter is they take a very binary stance on an issue which is deeply complex. Simply saying "they're here illegally, making them criminals, therefor we should deport them" is a naive and uninformed answer.

Shall we deport the families of Irish and German decent purely because their origin is that of an illegal immigrant? How quickly people have forgotten the amnesty granted to others. I am by no means supporting our current system, but surely the approach of the Trump administration is inflaming rather than fixing.

Old 03-29-2017, 08:33 AM

23,570 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
It's a fair point and I should have worded my original statement to along the lines of "adults or juveniles who were brought to the U.S. at their guardians will and are now deeply entrenched in this country's culture/society". My issue with the far right ideology on this matter is they take a very binary stance on an issue which is deeply complex. Simply saying "they're here illegally, making them criminals, therefor we should deport them" is a naive and uninformed answer.
You're missing the big picture. This has nothing to do with taking extreme sides (to which very few subscribe to, even most of those pro-Trump/"alt-right" I hear so much about on this forum). ICE is looking to deport those with convictions outside of immigration law (felonies and some misdemeanors), very similar to how it was under the last administration. Those who are here illegally yet remain otherwise under the radar, should not have much to worry about.

Old 03-29-2017, 08:50 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,142,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
You're missing the big picture. This has nothing to do with taking extreme sides (to which very few subscribe to, even most of those pro-Trump/"alt-right" I hear so much about on this forum). ICE is looking to deport those with convictions outside of immigration law (felonies and some misdemeanors), very similar to how it was under the last administration. Those who are here illegally yet remain otherwise under the radar, should not have much to worry about.
For one, I disagree with your assessment that few prescribe to the "deport them all" rhetoric, especially given comments in the very thread.

Secondly, while the actions of the current admin are similar, there is a huge divide in the rhetoric and scale of detainments. ICE, under Obama, largely targeted dangerous criminals and/or "threats to national security", the exception being central Americans who were more broadly targeted. Under Trump, the scale of raids have increased and temporary detainment of non-criminals is up. Those vocal on the issue aren't concerned about current actions, they're concerned about future escalation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
View detailed profiles of: